Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it just me or does everyone think this feeder lane from the M50 to the M1 is crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

That's why I always take the airport slip and merge safely at a decent speed as soon as I can on to the M1. Most of the time it's a lot quicker, and safer for all traffic doing it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

kerbdog wrote:
    The one for people heading to go on the M1 to Belfast has a way too short space to merge with traffic coming from the city center.

I noticed that. It's insane alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'm starting to think that the person who was meant to 'engineer' that section of road got their child of 2 to do with with a crayon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

R.O.R wrote:
    That's why I always take the airport slip and merge safely at a decent speed as soon as I can on to the M1. Most of the time it's a lot quicker, and safer for all traffic doing it this way.
    I do that also.

The 3rd slip road directly off the roundabout (i.e. for traffic coming from the N32 and heading north) is also very short and quite dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are a few like that around. IIRC the northbound slip at Dundrum is like that, further compounded by the fact that it's fairly steep uphill and you don't get a decent view of the traffic you're merging with until the very last minute. It's generally safer and less stressfull to slum it with the trucks on the left lane which goes on for what seems like miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

When travelling southbound, the slip road (westbound) from the main airport roundabout above the MI to the Airport is also a bit hairy if you intend to continue onto the R132 (southbound). You have to join the motorway on the extreme right lane and then try to filter across 3 lanes in the space of a few hundred metres to get to the slip road for the R132. :eek:

(Of course there is also the option of joining the roundabout and going all the way around).

Is this the only place in Ireland where one must join a motorway on the right?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wonder was it the same designer as the one who came up with the idea of the original N4/M50N sliproad

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is this the only place in Ireland where one must join a motorway on the right?

Up to about 4 years ago when leaving Shannon Airport and heading towards Limerick when you joined the Ennis to Limerick dual carriage way the slip road from Shannon airport merged on the right onto the overtaking lane. About a couple of 100 yards further down the slip road for the turn off to Shannon started. The rule of thump to anyone who knew the route was to floor it from the slip road and merge. Of course poor tourists had no clue and I have seen many of them petrefied and not knowing whether to merge or wait until someone left them out. I'm surprised there were not alot of fatalities at that junction.

Thankfully it has since been replaced by a couple of proper overpasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

R.O.R wrote:

snap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

kerbdog wrote:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=53.416003,-6.223991&spn=0.00274,0.007768&t=k&om=1

Two lanes coming off the M50 near the airport, the left lane is for people heading to the airport/Swords, the other is for people heading to Belfast.

The one for people heading to go on the M1 to Belfast has a way too short space to merge with traffic coming from the city center.

I like it. Its so mental that its always reminded me of that arcade game "Out Run" which I used to play as a nipper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When travelling southbound, the slip road (westbound) from the main airport roundabout above the MI to the Airport is also a bit hairy if you intend to continue onto the R132 (southbound). You have to join the motorway on the extreme right lane and then try to filter across 3 lanes in the space of a few hundred metres to get to the slip road for the R132. :eek: (Of course there is also the option of joining the roundabout and going all the way around). Is this the only place in Ireland where one must join a motorway on the right?
    After eventually working out what you mean, if you can do it safely, wait and use the roundabout.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The fact that people coming from the city centre and turning off for the airport worsens the situation considerably.
    As others do, I generally go down the airport slip and proceed onto the M1 further down where the chaos ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Just thinking about this sliproad for a second and I may be wrong.. but is the speed limit on it not like 60 KM/H.. and the traffic on the M1 is 120 KP/H.. I may be wonrg though.. been a while seince I was up there.. but have seen cops doing speed checks as you approach the airport...

But agreed, it's badly designed, the other direction though I find worse, from the M1 to the M50, awful signage.. lane system is confusing.. needs to be redone totally.. what's it like now with the port tunnel ?
    TK
    TK

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

NeMiSiS wrote:
    Just thinking about this sliproad for a second and I may be wrong.. but is the speed limit on it not like 60 KM/H.. and the traffic on the M1 is 120 KP/H..
    The stretch of M1 as far as the airport is 60km/h AFAIK.

Advertisement