Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancient Rome: The Rise And Fall Of An Empire on BBC.

Options
  • 06-10-2006 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Is anyone watching the BBC programme Ancient Rome: The Rise And Fall Of An Empire.

What do you think?

I have been pretty obsessed with the history of the Roman Republic and the early empire, for quite a few years, (couple of decades, now that I think about it), so I think I am in a good position, for a layman, to assess the accuracy.

I think that the production values are very good.

Costume is great, in that the people and soldiers appear to be wearing all the right stuff and/or using the right equipment. The sets are convincing and the acting is superb. I find myself getting lost in it quite a bit.

The problem I have is with how they have, presumably for brevity, edited historical events, sometimes distorting and sometimes omitting important events and/or people.

For example, last nights episode was about the life of Tiberius Gracchus.
    More info: http://www.unrv.com/empire/tiberius-gracchus.php

Anyone who knows about this man knows how important he was, in that he was effectively the first the populares, a brand of Roman politician which was eventually to include Julius Caesar.

The problem I have is that when you talk about this part of history, you usually talk about the Gracchi Brothers; Tiberius Gracchus and his younger brother Gaius Gracchus, who, if anything, was an even more important figure, but was never even mentioned in the programme.

It is disconcerting to have a programme with so many merits, but every so often to come across something that has me shouting my objections at the television.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Hackman

I had the same problem. I always associate the brothers when I hear the name Grachus.

Maybe they will feature Gaius soon. I think he was even more interesting than Tiberius.

By the way, I love the series too.

Advertisement