Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the best broadband provider?

Options
  • 06-10-2006 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi

I'm a newbie and not very technically minded so please bare with me. I would be very grateful if some one could help me. I need to get broadband at home but dont know who is the best broadband provider? Something around 2MB downstream and anything over 200k upstream would do me. I am wondering should I go for one of the more well known companies like NTL or Eircom. I have been looking at the 2MB package with them both and Eircom are €29.99 per month and NTL are €24.99 per month for what seems to be the same. Is it? Eircom are offering free modem and free connection etc. Do NTL offer the same as I have look on their site and it doesnt say what you get.

Which is better and more reliable wireless or non wireless. Ideally I would like wireless but am a bit unsure about it. I am in Waterford city and both are available to me.

Basically I am looking for something that will give me the least hassle.

I would be very grateful for any advice. Thanks! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Boulie wrote:
    Hi

I'm a newbie and not very technically minded so please bare with me. I would be very grateful if some one could help me. I need to get broadband at home but dont know who is the best broadband provider? Something around 2MB downstream and anything over 200k upstream would do me. I am wondering should I go for one of the more well known companies like NTL or Eircom. I have been looking at the 2MB package with them both and Eircom are €29.99 per month and NTL are €24.99 per month for what seems to be the same. Is it? Eircom are offering free modem and free connection etc. Do NTL offer the same as I have look on their site and it doesnt say what you get.

Which is better and more reliable wireless or non wireless. Ideally I would like wireless but am a bit unsure about it. I am in Waterford city and both are available to me.

Basically I am looking for something that will give me the least hassle.

I would be very grateful for any advice. Thanks! :confused:

Have a look at www.callcosts.ie and the section on BroadBand. Make sure you tick the box to include "line rental" charges otherwise you are not getting a full picture of the comparison of prices but otherwise you will get a good indication of what is what. Though, to summarise, Eircon is the worst option imaginable, you really should strike that thought out of your mind immediately - probably do a bit of self-flagellation as well just for even contemplating them whores of Satan entering your house and despoiling the sanctity of your home ... ;)

Smart, Magnet, BT, Digiweb and UTV all score better than Eircon but exact comparisons of details are important (you can get this info from callcosts) - like "contention" on the lines being offered to you, only Magnet and Smart offer lines that will not be affected by other people in your vicinity using the line. If you still wish to compare NTL and Eircon, for example, then NTL is close to three times better than Eircon in this regard (as far as I recall).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Smart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 White Van Man

Like art says, steer clear of eircom at all costs. Smart, Magnet or NTL would be my choices if I was you

Smart have doubled their speeds until the end of the year for free, meaning you can get 6MB for 35 quid a month.

The nay-sayers will tell you that Smart won't be around at the end of the year and that you'd be better off with eircom broadband in one of its many guises, but why listen to the nay-sayers?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Like art says, steer clear of eircom at all costs. Smart, Magnet or NTL would be my choices if I was you

Smart have doubled their speeds until the end of the year for free, meaning you can get 6MB for 35 quid a month.

The nay-sayers will tell you that Smart won't be around at the end of the year and that you'd be better off with eircom broadband in one of its many guises, but why listen to the nay-sayers?

Smart by far the best and now with 6mb as standard untill the end of 2006.
    Dont listen to the Nah-sayers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

How come you guys are saying Smart...Are Smart not closing down?????:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭spfeno

What about the BTIreland deal for €45 per month which includes all calls (ex. mobiles), line rental and full Broadband

Thought this was the best one lately

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

JohnnieM wrote:
    How come you guys are saying Smart...Are Smart not closing down?????:confused:

No they will be continuing to provide a bb and telephone service - howeve firstly they have to be in your exchange and secondly to go with them you have to be prepared to change your telephone number. If you can get Smart they are highly recommended - bb and phone for 35 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

spfeno wrote:
    What about the BTIreland deal for €45 per month which includes all calls (ex. mobiles), line rental and full Broadband

Thought this was the best one lately

Smart have a similar deal except their broadband is 3 times faster

dub45 wrote:
    No they will be continuing to provide a bb and telephone service - howeve firstly they have to be in your exchange and secondly to go with them you have to be prepared to change your telephone number. If you can get Smart they are highly recommended - bb and phone for 35 euros.

And a 6Mb Connection as standars untill the end of 2006 - Back to 3mb for 2007 - How bad for 35Eur per month huh:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

ye people are mad to be advising smart
    IF they stay going who will answer the phone if theres a problem?
    Do u think they will have plenty of staff just waiting for u to ring up with issues. LOL

• Advertisement

deckie27 wrote:
    ye people are mad to be advising smart
    IF they stay going who will answer the phone if theres a problem?
    Do u think they will have plenty of staff just waiting for u to ring up with issues. LOL

There not going there here to stay - just under new management so there will be staff to answer all your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

this is the type of doubt eircom had hoped people had about them lol, and now they want EUR120 per BB customer that they disconnected if smart want them connected again cause their attempts have failed :->

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

BT imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Boulie

Hi,

Thanks you all so much for your replys, I really appreciate it. You all have been a great help. Looks like i have a lot more invesgating to do. Its a mind field out there!!!! :confused:

Advertisement