Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Lic

Options
  • 06-10-2006 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Friends;

I have a Driving Lic from Jordan, can I buy/Drive a car before applying to the Irish Lic??

I heard something like I can use this Lic for 12 months

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Good question, You would first have to take the Irish Driver Theory Test and then apply for your first provisional licence and your test if you are a competent driver. I guess the insurance companies would tut tut though.

I have question about licenses myself and instead of opening a new thread ;)

I have currently sent away for my 2nd provisional license and my old one expired yesterday, (I sent it away to them yesterday) Would I be breaking the law if I drove now, since they have my old expired licence and are in the process of issuing a new one. What would happen if I faced a Gardaí Checkpoint?? I might need to make a journey this evening and am not too sure. I wonder would it be too risky to chance the auld nod and wink.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You may use the licence from Jordan to drive here, provided that you are here on a temporary visit (a period not exceeding 12 months).

If you are planning on staying here longer than 12 months, then your licence isn't valid.

However, what I read on www.oasis.gov.ie didn't make this 100% clear - someone else may be able to clarify if you can drive for 12 months on your licence, even if you plan on staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

How I can verfiy that I am planning to stay for 12 months or more?

i.e. who would ask me about this? Isurance company? Traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, I checked out the regulations, and you can only get a driving permit if you are a visitor, i.e. if you are not planning to stay for longer than 12 months.

So in order to drive a car in Ireland, you will need to apply for a provisional licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Can you not get an international driving licence? Or is it only certain countries are involved in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Enygma wrote:
    Can you not get an international driving licence? Or is it only certain countries are involved in that?
    An international driving licence isn't a licence at all, really. They're usually issued by the local driving organisations like the AA, RAC, ADAC, ANWB etc. and are nothing more than a statement that they've looked at your current licence and that it's valid. They're useful (but not obligatory IIRC) in countries which aren't in the EU, but don't hold any legal weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

seamus wrote:
    Actually, I checked out the regulations, and you can only get a driving permit if you are a visitor, i.e. if you are not planning to stay for longer than 12 months.

So in order to drive a car in Ireland, you will need to apply for a provisional licence.
    Rules

If you are not from any of the above countries, (for example, if you are from Canada, the United States or New Zealand), and you hold a national driving licence or an international driving permit from your own country, you may drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit (up to 12 months).

An 'international driving permit' means a valid and property completed international driving permit issued to a visitor under the Convention of 1949 by a competent authority of the State in which you normally reside.

If your stay in Ireland will be more than 12 months and you are not from one of the listed recognised countries/States, you can apply for a driving licence in Ireland. You must first you must complete a driver theory test, apply for a provisional driving licence and complete your driving test in Ireland. If you pass your driving test, you will be issued with a full driving licence for use in Ireland.

It says a national driving licence OR an international driving permit, so either would do, plus you get the international permit from your home country before departure, not here. It might be useful anyway, if your licence is non-Eu and in a foreign language and/or script, say Arabic or Chinese.

As I read it, as long as you intend to stay for 12 months or less you're fine for that period on your own licence. The question is, of course, how do you or anyone else prove this? Surely you could just change your mind at the end of 12 months and decide to stay, after all :) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

The reason of why I asked this is that I tryed to register fot the theory test and it seems it will take some time I do not why? It seems they have a lot of people who want to do the test, and I really need a car, so I thought I can buy a car and start driving untill I have an appointment for the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cybergrass

If you are not a European Citizen you can drive your car as long as you want, but you need JORDAN license plates (buy a tax free car is also an option but you can drive that for a period of 6 months after that or import it OR export it as a tax free car to the UK and then again after 6 months back to Ireland) by the way are from JORDAN (Passport????) if yes than see above, if NO well forget all of that, Then you need a company (Ltd) abroad then you as Director are allowed to drive foreign plates etc etc, if you need more info mail me direct (I'am Dutch Citizen and driving on German plates and a driving license from Malta) and this is ALLOWED:)

Advertisement