Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think it is a good start.
    Blaster99 wrote:
    If you have an issue with the service you are receiving from a hosting company, contact their often excellent support team first to get it resolved. Threads that amount to tech support will be removed.

Remove the bold bit. It's irrelevent.
    Add something like this.
    * The Moderator's decisons and actions are absolute and final. They do not need to make sense to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I would suggest a catch all "Making the natives restless" clause too :)
    Making the natives restless
    - This is a catch-all rule for general trolling, bitching and similar. Certain posters have an ability to piss off large quanties of regulars on here. If a moderator feels that said poster is doing this intentionally or is the cause of the mess, then the poster can and will be banned. If this poster was being goaded by others, then they'll be the ones getting banned. This rule will hopefully put an end to the bitching going on in here of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Seeing as there is no discernable decision making process it's difficult to see how this can be brought forward in a sensible manner.

Here's some comments on the comments:
    There’s no need to be sycophantic

Accepted, will remove the offending material.
    How you’ve laid this out - at the end - is a little confusing, as it appears to contradict earlier stated prohibitions.

Accepted, will reword or restructure.
    Personally, I was always of the opinion that hosters were welcome to pimp themselves if it was requested by others and was not a ‘bidding war’. That is to say someone asking “does anyone in Ireland do Ruby/JSP/Adult/whatever hosting” and hosters saying they did is OK, but someone asking “who’ll give me the cheapest deal” is not as it is simply asking for trouble.

Rejected.

Boards is a vendor-neutral environment and works at its very best when the community contributes. There's no reason to allow vendors to pimp. I don't think your example is realistic either, as someone who's asking for advice will want a subjective response to indicate which is the best choice.
    if someone posts a review, the host in question should have the right to verify the review is from a real customer and a right of response.

Rejected. That right is provided in the charter.
    watty wrote:
    I think it is a good start.

Bonus points to watty.
    watty wrote:
    Remove the bold bit. It's irrelevent.

Accepted.
    watty wrote:
    Add something like this.
    * The Moderator's decisons and actions are absolute and final. They do not need to make sense to you.

Rejected. I did consider adding something like it but I can't really the value of it. It's pretty clear what the role of a moderator is.
    WizZard wrote:
    I would suggest a catch all "Making the natives restless" clause too

Rejected. I appreciate the point but that sort of stuff is best left to the discretion of the moderators and is difficult to regulate meaningfully in a charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Blaster99 wrote:
    I don't think your example is realistic either, as someone who's asking for advice will want a subjective response to indicate which is the best choice.
    Nothing subjective about it - either a host does X or not. Questions that solicit opinions rather than facts are another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

I'd just like to make a quick post and say that I'd like to see the Web Hosting forum re-opened too.

• Advertisement

Here's an update based on the above. I've softened the stance towards vendors somewhat. May I suggest we leave it like this to get the forum up and running and if needed we can tweak it?

----

The Web Hosting forum serves as a resource for people seeking advice on hosting and related issues. This is not the forum for issues around how to build a site in the first place.

Forum Rules:
    • If you have an issue with the service you are receiving from a hosting company, contact their support team first to get it resolved. Threads that amount to tech support will be removed.
    • You may not use discussions to recommend, praise, or belittle other products or services, or any company; without first hand experience of those products or services. This includes companies recommending other companies.
    • You may only discuss details about your company and/or product offerings when the thread starter or poster has made direct reference to your company. The response must be in direct reference to the point discussed only and contain no added promotional information and/or fluff.
    • You may not post any messages that are commercial by nature.
    • You may not post any message that directs others to any pages at your own commercial domain, including informational pages. A commercial domain is defined as a site that receives any type of income or links to any income producing properties.
    • You may not direct others to contact you regarding your product or services or future (possible) products or services, or any product or service you are, or have been, associated with.
    • You may not solicit the membership for feedback or suggestions on your product or services.
    • You may not solicit users for any project or purpose external to the forum; public, private, or commercial. Most importantly our member base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit.
    • Public posts debating these rules and/or moderators' enforcement of such, will be removed. We encourage feedback however and invite you to use the Feedback Forum if you have any questions or concerns.

Now all you need to do is send crates of wine etc to the admins to bribe them to open the Forum.
    I know where one is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

+1 for reopening the forum.

I don't think we get to vote. I think it is a matter of laying in razor wire to keep out flamers and bribing the admins to open it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I think those would have to be pretty considerable bribes tbh.

That or locking DeV away until the forum is created so he can't do anything about it :p

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Regi writes:
    <random admin> Hey, how about we reopen the web hosting forum?
    ... silence for about 10 seconds ...
    <all in room> ho ho guffaw etc

This is about the most accurate thing I have read in this thread. This actually regularly happens and it never gets old.

If the hosting companies really desperately need somewhere to communicate I'm sure they can eek out some HD space and an old copy of vBulletin.

Makes you think about why they so desperately want to be here...... hmmm.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

its an insidious plot to be... erm... nefarious.

or vice versa.

Yeah it's a very devious plot that we've worked on for years. We're really all clevered disguised representatives of hosting companies. It's a long game; I've had to spew out over 2,000 posts of dubious quality just to seem credible when it came to suggesting that the hosting forum should be reopened.

Places like Web Hosting Talk work quite well so probably not worth wasting more time on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Blaster99 wrote:
    probably not worth wasting more time on the topic.

I think you're right, especially with that level of arrogance as your only thanks for your efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

/me whispers: PSSST!! JB!!! HIT THE LOCKITY BUTTON!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Cloud wrote:
    Thread closed.

Would you like me to assist you there oh benevolent Overlord?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement