Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Limerick people so satisfied?

Options
  • 06-10-2006 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Another national survey has just shown that the good people of Limerick are among the most satisfied in the country, with Galway, South Tipp, and Kilkenny folks marginally more satisfied.

So, how? All we ever hear is that we're too small, too dirty, too dangerous, too parochial (?), etc.

Personally I'm well happy to be from Limerick, and I'm pretty happy the way it's developing (within reason), it's good to know that most to the county seems to agree with me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Because we have a fairly adequate transport service, easy commutes, low unemployment rate, proud history and the council are starting to give limerick spirit with all these festivals and different occasions.
    Also there is great change, people see real differences with promises of more, the city streets have more bussle then ever before and people are respecting nature more so then ever before, the city is surrounded by fields.
    Prices are low and the nightlife is fairly good. This is a great city, a jewel in Irelands history which is home to some of the most amazing people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

and when the new Shannon Tunnel crossing is finished and we have a M&S in the city, life will be almost perfect .... :)

well for me anyway .... :p

oh, and as long as Yorkshire Airlines never get permission to fly into Shannon ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I say we call the Shannon Tunnel the Shunnel! eh? haha

Shunnel™ haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

:D How about we dredge the Shannon to sufficient depth - expand Foynes to replace Dublin port? How satisfied will ye be then?

I reckon Limerick people are satisfied when they come to Dublin and see how crap our traffic is - how much better it is and how short a distance you have to go out of the city to see cows/green fields.

You need a tunnel a lot less than Dublin needs a metro.

Outside of Dublin - everyone knows a politician personally, and will exploit this. In Dublin - (almost) everyone knows a politician personally - and will deny this fact ! :D

If plans for your tunnel go ahead before the dublin metro - look to thailand - capiche!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Shunnel™ haha

I could delete this post and pretend that I came up with it myself :D

• Advertisement

If plans for your tunnel go ahead

They are building it right now ...... honest .....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Shunnel™ haha
    so,if it leaks like the Dublin port one, it's a tunnel, if it's waterproof. it's a shunnel.:D

so,if it leaks like the Dublin port one

Oh no no no !!!! ...... :eek:

when we build a Tunnel under a river we waterproof it ..... :)

that keeps the water out ..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

if plans for your tunnel go ahead before the dublin metro - look to thailand - capiche!:D
    they kinda of already started the tunnel..:D

yes im proud to be from limerick even though im from hospital in the county i know how great the city is
    only problem i have with hospital is the lack of broadband :mad: :eek:

the city is coming on so much
    can't wait for bedford row

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

-Well we have the lowest crime-rate per capita of the big four cities.
    -We don't have the "big town" feel of Galway.
    -We don't have the American attitude of Dublin (ie: we don't think that we're the be all and end all of everything, and we realize that there's more to Ireland than us).
    - We don't have the almost forced individuality of Cork.
    - We are finally seeing good things happening to our city, that has been neglected by both local and national politicians and organisations for so long.
    - And lastly, and most importantly, all the crap that gets leveled on us from the rest of the country has made us more proud than ever. What others refer to as parochialism, is simply a pride in ourselves that keeps getting stronger.

P.S: We're also the home of Irish rugby and the shunnel of course!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

Because we have a fairly adequate transport service.

haha. The transport in limerick is terrible. waiting an hour and a half for a bus at the week ends. Taxis that dont show up and depending on what area your in you cant walk anyplace at night. I mean its small and the walk wouldnt be too long but walking home at night seriously dodgy

as citys go, limerick is dead and has no atmosphere whatsoever, but hey thats just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

Hub wrote:
    haha. The transport in limerick is terrible. waiting an hour and a half for a bus at the week ends. Taxis that dont show up and depending on what area your in you cant walk anyplace at night. I mean its small and the walk wouldnt be too long but walking home at night seriously dodgy

as citys go, limerick is dead and has no atmosphere whatsoever, but hey thats just my opinion

fully agree with you. i used to stand at a bus stop out by the parkway (i worked around that area) for 45 minutes (at the shortest) before i gave up and just walked into town, even if i was wrecked after standing at work all day. and if a bus did come when i was standing there, it was usually packed. absolute crap that they get away with such a shocking public transport system in limerick and especially out in the 'burbs (castletroy/annacotty etc is like a no mans land..cabs would be hesitant to go out there any time i rang).

as for the nightlife? its not great but its not crap. i have/had neutral feelings towards the place really.

P.S: We're also the home of Irish rugby and the shunnel of course!:D

heehee! what a funny joke. i personally find irish rugby a bit(a lot) crap...many people will disagree but i think the recent success with munster was a major fluke and there are a lot of inconsitencies with the game here and with their form. same goes for the irish team..look at what happened with england,they won the WC on the back of johnny wilkinson and that was a major fluke (i think even they thought that too!) and we havent seen much success from them since because relying on a few great players doesnt really give you consistent results. from the grassroots up there needs to be a change in how the game is played and managed in ireland if they want to enjoy the successes of the past in the future.

(its not my fault im a kiwi and we have one of the best rugby teams in the world.. cant.resist.sh!t stirring gaaah! :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

It is adequate... if the buses were on time it'd be good. But all sides of the city are served with buses, a fleet which has recently upgraded, prividing for buggies and they have complete access for wheelchair passengers.
    People have spoken about including a rail link, but the market isnt there, most who would take public transport within the city can. Raheen alone has 5 different routes serving it.

The roads surrounding this city moves pretty freely except during roadworks (which the majority are being done a night now), and with the opening of dual carriageway surrounding this city access can only get better.

Cycle lanes (although not in the city centre) are being put on most roadways in the areas surrounding the city, most major roads in Raheen/Dooradoyle are fitted with them.

This city is overrun with taxi's, every cabbie will tell you that, from the city centre you will have no problem picking up a taxi at any stage day or night.

Bus Lanes are being installed along major bus corriders which will mean buses can run more effectivley, last year alone 1 million people used Limericks Bus Eireann service, never mind Euro Coach and other buses going through the city.

Transport in this city is adequate, because if transport was poor in this city, 1. it would be a major election worry (like in dublin), and 2. a rail link would be more probable, look at LUAS... thats full, so is the DART, the buses and the roads, we are still better off than Dublin, never mind before they had LUAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

ellenmelon wrote:
    heehee! what a funny joke. i personally find irish rugby a bit(a lot) crap...many people will disagree but i think the recent success with munster was a major fluke and there are a lot of inconsitencies with the game here and with their form. same goes for the irish team..look at what happened with england,they won the WC on the back of johnny wilkinson and that was a major fluke (i think even they thought that too!) and we havent seen much success from them since because relying on a few great players doesnt really give you consistent results. from the grassroots up there needs to be a change in how the game is played and managed in ireland if they want to enjoy the successes of the past in the future.

(its not my fault im a kiwi and we have one of the best rugby teams in the world.. cant.resist.sh!t stirring gaaah! :D )

They beat New Zealand in New Zealand before the world cup with only 13 players on the pitch for nearly 10 minutes. It wasn't a fluke, that English side was one of the best the world has seen. Like I said elsewhere, no bad team wins a consectutive Grand Slam and World Cup.

castletroy and those areas out that way have ONE bus eireann bus that comes every half an hour-forty minutes depending on traffic and a euro bus that comes once an hour. thats not very well serviced at all. pretty bloody slack if you ask me.especially considering the amount of people that live near UL and/or need to get to college round there. and bus eireann know this and are yet to take action.

have you ever been on a bus at peak hours, when the buses are used most? snails pace. freely my *rse. and what use is a bus going up the dual carriageway going to do to help people that live along them?

no way in heck would i ever ride a bike in limerick. my younger brothers had close calls which caused my mum to stop them riding to school before we moved out castletroy way and they went to school closer to home. limerick drivers are shocking and this is reflected in how many people you actually see commuting by cycle..ie not a lot.

yeah, you can get a cab from town, but when i was trying in vain to get to work in town when i live in castletroy and the bus service failed me , getting a cab was pretty freaking hard. they are just too lazy to go out of town.

The Dublin road (through Castletroy) is dangerous to cycle on, but do you see many people cycling on any main national route? Would you cycle on the M50? Most places are grand to cycle on.

They beat New Zealand in New Zealand before the world cup with only 13 players on the pitch for nearly 10 minutes. It wasn't a fluke, that English side was one of the best the world has seen. Like I said elsewhere, no bad team wins a consectutive Grand Slam and World Cup.

england are still an average team.i dont think you could rely on them to be consistent as i said. 10 minutes with 13 players? eh, seen it before, nothing new. and combined with the irish team like we saw they were even more pathetic.i wouldnt be the hugest rugby fan, but i loved that nz kicked the lions ass :D..it was a given. if you compare the playing ability of northern european teams and of any southern teams, i think you'll find that southern teams play a far more tactical game (the italians and french as well play a pretty good game) whereas ireland players follow the ball around in a bit of a pack like my small brother used to do when he first played barefoot rugby. surely you see that?

ah, sport and politics.the staple debate inducers :)

The Dublin road (through Castletroy) is dangerous to cycle on, but do you see many people cycling on any main national route? Would you cycle on the M50? Most places are grand to cycle on.

oh, for sure. but these kids were cycling out by dooradoyle,not dub rd. there's just not a big cycle to work culture and the dodgy winter weather doesnt help :)

Up to the World Cup England had beaten Aus, SA, france and NZ on a few occasions, home and away, they were a great team.
    Not sure why NZ keep choking in World Cups though, the Aus/NZ semi was hilarious as supposedly great players for NZ actually fell apart on worldwide tv.

Rugby is the 4th or fifth sport in Ireland, if we'd all the Gaelic footballers (not even the hurlers) to choose from we'd be a much better team. It's amazing how many people actually play GAA in this country.

• Advertisement

ellenmelon wrote:
    oh, for sure. but these kids were cycling out by dooradoyle,not dub rd. there's just not a big cycle to work culture and the dodgy winter weather doesnt help :)

You mean the Cork or the Galway road then? Same difference, national route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

ellenmelon wrote:
    castletroy and those areas out that way have ONE bus eireann bus that comes every half an hour-forty minutes depending on traffic and a euro bus that comes once an hour. thats not very well serviced at all. pretty bloody slack if you ask me.especially considering the amount of people that live near UL and/or need to get to college round there. and bus eireann know this and are yet to take action.

have you ever been on a bus at peak hours, when the buses are used most? snails pace. freely my *rse. and what use is a bus going up the dual carriageway going to do to help people that live along them?

no way in heck would i ever ride a bike in limerick. my younger brothers had close calls which caused my mum to stop them riding to school before we moved out castletroy way and they went to school closer to home. limerick drivers are shocking and this is reflected in how many people you actually see commuting by cycle..ie not a lot.

yeah, you can get a cab from town, but when i was trying in vain to get to work in town when i live in castletroy and the bus service failed me , getting a cab was pretty freaking hard. they are just too lazy to go out of town.

I cycle everywhere in Limerick and i have no problems.... I cycle to school everyday, using the ennis Road and i use my bike to go all over the city at the weekends. No real problems. What age are your younger brothers? Because its probably their lack of knowledge of rules of the road in terms of cycling which is getting them in danger ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

I'm cycling always as well. No problems with any roads so far. but it's mainly o'connell street and dock road or to the parkway/childers road shopping ctres.

if there was a decent bus service i wouldn't need to cycle...

its not my fault im a kiwi and we have one of the best rugby teams in the world.. cant.resist.sh!t stirring gaaah! )

didn't Munster beat the All Blacks ? ..... guess I must be dreaming .... :p

hobie wrote:
    didn't Munster beat the All Blacks ? ..... guess I must be dreaming .... :p

over twenty years ago, yeah.or have they beaten them since then and i havent noticed :) no way in hell would they beat them now. munster would whinge about a tackle or something and go home with their tails between their legs!

You mean the Cork or the Galway road then? Same difference, national route.

of course school kids didnt bike along main roads. thats what back streets are for.
    sheesh.
    i and my friends biked to school along the main drags (that were the roads you used to get out of town and further up the country) in our area on the way to highschool and i never felt unsafe because motorists respected that we needed a bit of room. at the moment that just isnt possible as a lot of roads are too narrow for two cars to pass comfortably, let alone a kid/person on a bike.

I cycle everywhere in Limerick and i have no problems.... I cycle to school everyday, using the ennis Road and i use my bike to go all over the city at the weekends. No real problems. What age are your younger brothers? Because its probably their lack of knowledge of rules of the road in terms of cycling which is getting them in danger ;)

my brothers and myself all biked to school in new zealand from a young age (age 10/11)with no problems.it wasnt them.we were taught the road rules on our bikes as part of physical education at primary school and you werent allowed to bike to school without passing a road rules test for a bike. so its not them that are dangerous, its the irish drivers that are.the amount of car accidents for the population is shocking TBH. helmets not being compulsory when riding a bike doesnt help either.

I'm cycling always as well. No problems with any roads so far. but it's mainly o'connell street and dock road or to the parkway/childers road shopping ctres.

if there was a decent bus service i wouldn't need to cycle...

it was definately tempting to cycle sometimes, what with the bollocks that they call a bus service (anyone notice that often if the timetables disappeared and when i asked they said they "didnt need" to put them up "cause its well known when the buses come" :confused: ) but i would never have in winter cause its too dark and the one time i did i felt so unsafe..and i cycled to school and work for 10 years back home with no probs.

i think the cycling culture needs to be encouraged in schools like it was back home..most kids in limerick seem to have bikes so they could be taught skills as part of PE. i know i looked forward to that more than "regular" PE at school :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

ellenmelon wrote:
    ellenmelon wrote:

I cycle out by Dooradoyle all the time, there's cycle lanes out there and for the most part it's not one bit dangerous. I honestly don't get where you're coming from with this. A lot of it is up to you and how you cycle, I've seen lots of guys taking crazy risks on bikes, breaking red lights and the like. A bit of common sense on the road and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement

kyp_durron wrote:
    I cycle out by Dooradoyle all the time, there's cycle lanes out there and for the most part it's not one bit dangerous. I honestly don't get where you're coming from with this. A lot of it is up to you and how you cycle, I've seen lots of guys taking crazy risks on bikes, breaking red lights and the like. A bit of common sense on the road and you'll be grand.

yeah, fair enough but the state of the traffic? you could be the safest most experienced cycle and some idiot on his L plates cuts you off and your on the asphalt. drivers in ireland are selfish and dont really show respect to pedestrians or cyclists (especially postmen etc).

Advertisement