Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Limerick people so satisfied?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

or have they beaten them since then and I haven't noticed

Can't answer that .... we are still partying on the first win .... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

hobie wrote:
    Can't answer that .... we are still partying on the first win .... :p

i think thats called living in the past :D seriously like, the european cup thingee has taken that place in munsters rather empty looking trophy cabinet/ego boost :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

ellenmelon, you're looking for trouble, huh?! don't forget you're talking to people from the biggest limerick in ireland, which is the biggest ireland of the world!!! :D:D

ellenmelon, you're looking for trouble, huh?! don't forget you're talking to people from the biggest limerick in ireland, which is the biggest ireland of the world!!! :D:D

heck yes *smacks fist into palm*bring it on! :D it is rather fun to wind people up and its not my fault if people swallow it hook,line and sinker :p i know i fall for it sometimes too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

ellenmelon wrote:
    over twenty years ago, yeah.or have they beaten them since then and i havent noticed :) no way in hell would they beat them now. munster would whinge about a tackle or something and go home with their tails between their legs!

Well to be fair, it was a Grand Slam winning All Blacks team that Munster beat in 1978. And it was a typical Munster team: big tough forwards. ****e backs. Apart from Tony Ward and he was a Dub anyway.

Also, it was pretty much the first choice All Black team, apart from two greenhorns in the back row (Limerick is NOT the place to experiment with young flankers) and a second choice fly half who got the blame for everything.

Stu Wilson, Graham Mourie, Bryan Williams, Andy Haden, Bill Osborne (as a sub) All legendary All Blacks and all on the park that day. And others who were no slouches eg Mark Donaldson, Brian McKechnie.

That result was a huge shock at the time.

Almost as big a shock as you're going to get in the quarter final in Cardiff next year. ;)

Four more years!!!

• Advertisement

Mad Finn wrote:
    Well to be fair, it was a Grand Slam winning All Blacks team that Munster beat in 1978. And it was a typical Munster team: big tough forwards. ****e backs. Apart from Tony Ward and he was a Dub anyway.

Also, it was pretty much the first choice All Black team, apart from two greenhorns in the back row (Limerick is NOT the place to experiment with young flankers) and a second choice fly half who got the blame for everything.

Stu Wilson, Graham Mourie, Bryan Williams, Andy Haden, Bill Osborne (as a sub) All legendary All Blacks and all on the park that day. And others who were no slouches eg Mark Donaldson, Brian McKechnie.

That result was a huge shock at the time.

Almost as big a shock as you're going to get in the quarter final in Cardiff next year. ;)

Four more years!!!

oh for sure it was a big shock but it was 1978. id say the same thing about anything that happened that long ago..get over it! :)

quarter final? cardiff? eh? *nods and smiles* i know as much about rugby as i need to get me by. i make no bones about... i dont "do" sport :D

all blacks vs ireland (our name is WAY cooler than just boring old ireland ;) aaand we have the haka) is a given win to the ABs any day. same as vs england and any other northern hemisphere team. aussie and SA im not so sure as its always a close match with them.they're our only real rivals so to speak..
    god, look at me. attempting to talk about sport :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

rugby heads...:rolleyes:

obviously that is what people here makes them so satisfied... and if this is all - it explains a lot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

There is a Rugby forum lads :D

kyp_durron wrote:
    There is a Rugby forum lads :D

Rugby? Limerick? What's the difference?

The topic is: what have you lot got to be smug about? And the answer, apart from rugby, is bugger all.

And I don't think Ellenmelon is a lad. (you gotta love a girl who chooses to put Melon into her name) ;)

I once had a pint with one of the guys that beat the All Blacks ...... Colm ..... and he was happy as a $$$$$ in $$$$$$$$ .......

and I don't blame him .... :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Mad Finn wrote:

The topic is: what have you lot got to be smug about? And the answer, apart from rugby, is bugger all.
    And I don't think Ellenmelon is a lad. (you gotta love a girl who chooses to put Melon into her name) ;)

There's a difference between smug and satisfied, we've plenty to be satisfied about.

we've plenty to be satisfied about

Having a Tea break and a chat about Munster Rugby .... :)

You just can't beat it ..... :p

newyorksteelworkerslu1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I was thinking of this post while I was driving into the city yesterday.
    Why am I satisfied with living in LimericK?
    1. When you stand outside BT's you are still within walking distance of areas of natural beauty ie: the bird sanctuary over Shannon Bridge, the Shannon Fields in Corbally, the walk from Clare Street to UL along the river.
    2. Yesterday while in town a man helped me with my buggy down the steps of the Augustinians.
    3. The man in the crane on Bedford row gave my son a big wave when he stopped to have a gawp
    4. From BT's you are within a 30 min drive from seriously beautiful get away from it all places, ie: Killaloe, Curragh Chase, Loch Gur, Clare Glens
    5. In the summer if you finish work at 5, get home at 6 there is still time to go for a swim in the Ardnacrusha
    canal and traffic won't be brutal.
    6. Commute times to and from work are OK. Unless you live/work miles away most peoples commute will be less than 40mins.
    7. Compact city centre which has most of the shops the other cities have without having to walk miles and miles

I'm going to stay out of the rugby debate but I do think it has alot to do with Limericks new found confidence in itself.
    Ellenmellon - you're on a loser thinking people are going to forget about Munster beating the All Blacks. Sure Young Munsters are still going on about the Bateman Cup and they won that in the 20's :p

Mad Finn wrote:

no, im definately a girl. last time i checked anyway ;) JOKE.
    i dont know is the second bit a dig or a compliment? ill take it as the latter...

Crea wrote:
    I was thinking of this post while I was driving into the city yesterday.
    Why am I satisfied with living in LimericK?
    1. When you stand outside BT's you are still within walking distance of areas of natural beauty ie: the bird sanctuary over Shannon Bridge, the Shannon Fields in Corbally, the walk from Clare Street to UL along the river.
    2. Yesterday while in town a man helped me with my buggy down the steps of the Augustinians.
    3. The man in the crane on Bedford row gave my son a big wave when he stopped to have a gawp
    4. From BT's you are within a 30 min drive from seriously beautiful get away from it all places, ie: Killaloe, Curragh Chase, Loch Gur, Clare Glens
    5. In the summer if you finish work at 5, get home at 6 there is still time to go for a swim in the Ardnacrusha
    canal and traffic won't be brutal.
    6. Commute times to and from work are OK. Unless you live/work miles away most peoples commute will be less than 40mins.
    7. Compact city centre which has most of the shops the other cities have without having to walk miles and miles

I'm going to stay out of the rugby debate but I do think it has alot to do with Limericks new found confidence in itself.
    Ellenmellon - you're on a loser thinking people are going to forget about Munster beating the All Blacks. Sure Young Munsters are still going on about the Bateman Cup and they won that in the 20's :p

one thing i was satisfied about limerick was the proximity to shannon airport..so handy.

shopping? pretty crap to be honest..always had to go to cork which was a pain.

as for the munster thing, they'll get over it one day..or at least i hope they will cause its like *yawn*..as ross said on friends "i think the word you're looking for is...aaanyway" :) not all kiwis actually give a damn!

as for the munster thing, they'll get over it one day..

I remember going to the engagement part of Geraldine ...... who eventually did marry and settle down with a member of the Munster team that beat the All Blacks ..... she told me she would never get over it .... :)

I told her I knew the feeling .... :p

ellenmelon wrote:
    no, im definately a girl. last time i checked anyway ;) JOKE.
    i dont know is the second bit a dig or a compliment? ill take it as the latter...

Melons are my favourite fruit.

:)

Advertisement