Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europeans don't mind waiting for delayed hardware

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

BloodBath wrote:
    Stop posting this crap please. The cost differences between selling in Europe and Japan have already been mentioned. The profit they are making here and in Japan on the consoles will roughly be the same. No japanese electronics sell for the same price here as they do in Japan. Higher taxes, shipping costs ect all bump the price up significantly.

I will stop posting it when people stop accusing Sony of being scum for doing the exact same thing, except they aren't making any profit on it here at all. Oh and why don't you give me a real answer instead of just saying what you think it is. What taxes and charges are these you are mentioning and how do they compare to Japanese charges and taxes. If you are so sure you're right then you must know off the top of your head the various rates etc. let's have them.

My point was that you shouldn't label sony as scum for giving the console to the Japanese for less than we are getting it. You are just reinforcing my point... thanks!

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    True, lets let the whole olligopoly argument slide away (cause its going in circles. and I hate economics in school anyway.) My opinion of people calling Sony scum for their *treatment* of europe is to let it run, let the mob throw their vegtables and cry bloody murder. Why? Because for all intents and purpopses Sony is the leading company in the company and they should learn to keep on their toes, and while small grumbles and complaints that tricked during the psone and ps2 eras would fall on deaf ears, Outcries of scum and ridicule that has beeen thrown around before the PS3 launch should have an effect on the company's policy to its customers.

If you want to drop it then fair enough. You raised it in the first place.

My point is they aren't treating Europe any worse than they ever have or any worse than the others, apart from Microsoft. Nintendo may be able to manage to sell the Wii here in the same launch window this time but that is simply a result of the thing being easy to manufacture. Don't kid yourself and think that if they were having Sony's hardware problems that they would still give it to Europe on time. One thing Nintendo have shown consistently is that Europe is bottom on their list of priorities, just look at how long we have to wait for DS games.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Regardless of what kind of industy you are in, when your top dog your expected to represent the industry as a whole and as such any problems that are common in all companies will still land at your feet first (McDonalds, Coca Cola, health problems.). If you have problems unique to you after that, then its even more grief.

That makes no sense... When Supermacs were in trouble for hygene issues did McDonalds get the blame? Sony are not expected to represent the industry as a whole.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Its simple fact, Sony is big fish in a small pond its what everyone will go after.

Then there are two big fish in this small pond, unless MS is now a small fish? I see your point though and it may be true. Actually it is true, that is obvious from this thread, my question is... why? Hardly jealousy unless everyone posting here has their own little console manufacturers that keep getting shot down cos of Sony's success. Could it then be some sort of insane brand loyalty brought on by something as silly as liking a particular console when they were kids? Seriously, I remember slagging the Mega drive guys when I had a Snes, thing is I was about 8. Is this the same?
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    before the internet Sega *fans* would do the same to nintendo. You even saw it in films like Terminator 2:

Again I will ask, why? This is moronic plain and simple. Unless some of the posters here are five years old then I can't understand it. I prefer Nintendo games, I won't deny that. I also love Capcom games. That doesn't mean I want Sony and MS to fail, or EA and Ubisoft for that matter. If I don't want something then I don't buy it. I don't feel the need to heap wishes of destruction on one company just cos I happen to like another's product.

I like Superquinn's sausages the best, they are really great. Now if I were to start posting press releases from Deny calling them scum and willing them to fail, I think I would rightly be branded as slightly insane... this is the same thing.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    John Conor: All those kids with their 'nintendos'

Kids... exactly. It is a kid's argument and I had it myself. There is no logic to it.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Its simple underdog support that happens everywhere. Accept it and move on.

No it's not underdog support, this isn't people saying they hope Nintendo do well. They are saying they hope Sony fail. It is not the same. Fanboys are annoying and it makes no sense to me to support one corporate giant over another but hey each to his own.

What I don't understand and this is the reason I entered this thread, is why are people willing one to fail for making mistakes that are extremely common in this particular industry.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    As this argument is different to the Olligopoly one I'd like to continue it.

People have pointed out here on this very thread. The consoles themselves do not make profit. Retrogamer even pointed out that the PS3 needs to sell 8 games with launch to make a profit.

Now in Japan, while they can not physically buy as many consoles as either Europe or America, they can and have bought more games on a regular basis.

Where is the proof of this? I don't deny the Japanese buy a lot of games but more than Europeans and Americans?

If what you are saying is true then it makes more sense to push the consoles harder in Europe and America where people buy less games but more people buy games. These markets depend on high console sales. That is my take on it anyway, seems like a matter of opinion to be honest. Sony seem to be prioritising America, but they need to get off from the start in Japan because if they don't they risk losing too much ground to Nintendo. From what I can see the price cut is nothing but a publicity stunt, they have a pathetic number of consoles for Japan, 100,000... I think the DS sold 170,000 last week alone. Sony are giving the Americans 400,000 they are dropping the Japanese price so gamers there don't become dissillusioned with them or label them sell outs. That is my opinion anyway.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    So if your a console company, and you have a choice of pushing your console in a market where.

A) You sell a console (at a loss) to a customer who will then on average buy a *NEW* game once every fortnight. But you will have over 5 million customers

or

B) You sell the same console at a loss in a market where the customer on average buys 2 *new* games a week but you will have less then 3 million customers.

Also in market B there will be a larger number of releases due to the small local companies producing popular low budget games.

While in market A the number of releases will vary at times of the year and will only barely match market b in a 3 month period from Novemeber-January. While in June-August the number of releases will actually be very scarce.

Of course your going to push to stabalize yourself in market B. Because not only will you start making a profit sooner but it will generate productivity for your console.

Now the beauty of market A (which Microsoft are hoping) is that it has potential of becoming like market B except through services like Live, MMO's and live arcade generating the same consistent funds.

That's your opinion. I would say since the more consoles sold in A the more games will sell then why not push the boat out there... which is what Sony are doing from what I can see. Also I don't know where you have gotten that Japanese buy four times as many games as Europeans, I would doubt that.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    your turn to explain the logic behind this?

Seemed pretty obvious but here goes... I hate turkish delight bars so for me 80 cent for one is too much cos I don't want it. People here don't want a blu ray/games console so €600 is too much.
    From what I can see people want something that plays games and none of the other stuff, just like I want a chocolate bar with none of that horrible crap inside. I want a plain chocolate bar, say 50 cent... but that isn't a turkish delight is it? It's a dairy milk or something. Now if you take the blu ray out of the PS3, then what do you get? Something that isn't a PS3 therefore you don't want a PS3 you want something else. It doesn't mean the PS3 isn't worth €600 it just means you don't want it.

Sorry for the stupid analogy but I didn't know how to explain it better since I thought it made perfect sense in the first place.

As for the second part it's pretty straightforward. The parts in a PS3 make it worth €600. The parts in a Wii make it worth about €100.

uberpixie wrote:
    No the shrewd part is:

Relasing a console based on older tech, that is easily manufactured and can be sold at a very cheap price that you can still make a profit at.

Because the Wii is based on older tech they only have had to pump in a fraction of the cost of R+D Vs making a whole new console based on new tech.

Nintendo have said they are on track to releasing 11 million consoles by launch. They should be able to sell that amount.

Nintendo will prob have turned in a profit a year after release after they have covered their R+D costs and marketing.

Now look at the PS3. €600 a pop for the dacent one. Sony are only on track to having 500,000 at release.

They are also making a big loss on each console. Top that off with a huge R+D bill and all the marketing......

How many million PS3s will Sony have to sell on top of how many games will each person have to buy for their PS3 before Sony make a profit?

Nintendo have ensured their survival long term, made their money back and make profit on top in about a year all with the minimum of effort.

Nintendo can also afford a few tasty price cuts in the future ,because they are selling at a profit initially, to attract new customers.

Sony will have to break their own balls for 2-3 years, pump out millions of PS3s and sell millions of games before they can make the same money.

What part of Nitendo being shrewd do you not understand?

You are right, perhaps Nintendo should write a book and sell it to Sony and make even more profit :-)

No part, I understand it perfectly to be honest. Your orginal post seemed to claim they were shrewd simply for charging a higher price.

Your three points were:
    1- They can charge a lot cos people will pay it.

Yes very shrewd.

2- They avoid looking like a discount console.

Again purely because of high price. Nothing shrewd about this, mere coincidence really.

3- They can lower the price in the future and still make profit.

Wow, pure genius.

Sorry for the sarcasm but you seem to be implying that your simplistic points were too much for me to understand.
    If I charge some idiot €10,000 for my banged up Lada it doesn't make me a shrewd business person it makes me a cowboy.
    I'm not saying the Wii is the gaming equivelant of a lada before the fanboys attack me, I am saying that simply charing more than you should because you can does not make you a shrewd business person, which is what your point was.

Also what you have described in this post seems to me to more or less describe the situation at the time of the PS2 vs Gamecube... except for Nintendo's reliance on older tech this gen. Going by the outcome of that I don't really think Sony need to take advice from Nintendo... do you?

People are pointing to the cost of PS3, I remember paying 380 Irish for the PS2, not too far off the PS3 price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I think his point was not that nintendo are charging more than they should be, rather that Sony are charging less than they should be. The 2 business plans are completely different. nintendo is a games company. If they cut the cost of their machine to the same extent that sony ans MS are and have done and ran the risk of it failing then they would run the risk of being finacially dumped out of the onsole market.

Nintendo have always sold their wares at a profit. The GC and N64 was no different. However that does not make them cowboys. What it does do it allows them to limit the games that are released. They don't need all the 3rd party games coming out for thier console. They can pick and choose the higher quality games (companies) and reject the rest. This will ensure that the majority of the games on the console will be worth buying. In ocmplete contrast to the PS2/Xbox where the vast majority is tripe.

That said it's a double edge sword. Releases will be thin on the ground for a while and people will lose interest in buying the console, but then again they have a 4 month head start over Sony so that shouldn't be a big problem if they sort out the PAL release dates.

I guess my point is that Nintendo are securing their long term future by selling the wii at a profit, something sony and MS don't really need to worry too much about as they have deep pockets. This also allows them to cut the price if needed at relatively low cost to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Where is the proof of this? I don't deny the Japanese buy a lot of games but more than Europeans and Americans?

Ok watch:
    Top 25 Games (by Revenue)
    1. NDS New Super Mario Bros. - 275,692
    2. PS2 Kingdom Hearts II - 168,944
    3. 360 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 90,204
    4. 360 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - 84,431
    5. PS2 Guitar Hero - 67,871
    6. 360 Fight Night Round 3 - 58,000
    7. PS2 MLB '06: The Show
    8. 360 Battlefield 2: Modern Combat - 51,000
    9. 360 Major League Baseball 2K6 - 48,000
    10. 360 X-Men: The Official Game - 47,000

Those are the top 10 sales for the USA for the entire month of may.

This is the sales for one week in japan:
    May 1 - 7, 2006
    1. 160,148 - Tetris DS (DS)
    2. 112,392 - Brain Training 2 (DS)
    3. 100,860 - World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 (PS2)
    4. 84,075 - Brain Training (DS)
    5. 83,564 - Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
    6. 69,415 - Pokemon Ranger: The Road to Diamond and Pearl (DS)
    7. 59,614 - English Training (DS)
    8. 37,037 - Mario Kart DS (DS)
    9. 34,591 - Mother 3 (GBA)
    10. 33,279 - Dragon Quest: Young Yangus' Mysterious Dungeon (PS2)

thats one week, lets do the whole month just like the US
    May 8 - 14, 2006
    1. 89,536 - Powerful Pro Major League Baseball (PS2)
    2. 69,673 - Tetris DS (DS)
    3. 55,043 - Brain Training 2 (DS)
    4. 50,568 - World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 (PS2)
    5. 38,090 - Brain Training (DS)
    6. 30,536 - Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
    7. 27,681 - English Training (DS)
    8. 17,072 - Pokemon Ranger: The Road to Diamond and Pearl (DS)
    9. 15,458 - Dragon Quest: Young Yangus' Mysterious Dungeon (PS2)
    10. 13,703 - Mother 3 (GBA)
    May 15 - 21, 2006
    1. 90,946 - .hack//G.U. Vol. 1: Saitan (PS2)
    2. 61,679 - Brain Training 2 (DS)
    3. 50,937 - Tetris DS (DS)
    4. 45,196 - Brain Training (DS)
    5. 44,530 - World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 (PS2)
    6. 33,470 - Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
    7. 33,278 - Powerful Pro Major League Baseball (PS2)
    8. 29,250 - English Training (DS)
    9. 17,935 - Pokemon Ranger: The Road to Diamond and Pearl (DS)
    10. 16,119 - Mario Kart DS (DS)

Also I don't know where you have gotten that Japanese buy four times as many games as Europeans, I would doubt that.

oh lookee here, the New Mario game sells 4 times more in Japan as it does in the US IN ONE WEEK.

QED!
    May 22 - 28, 2006
    1. 899,518 - New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
    2. 86,451 - Brain Training 2 (DS)
    3. 62,616 - Brain Training (DS)
    4. 48,342 - Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (PSP)
    5. 46,809 - Tetris DS (DS)
    6. 42,127 - Kimi Kiss (PS2)
    7. 38,419 - World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 (PS2)
    8. 37,222 - English Training (DS)
    9. 36,610 - Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
    10. 32,742 - Powerful Pro Major League Baseball (PS2)
    May 29 - June 4, 2006
    1. 334,208 - New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
    2. 56,470 - Brain Training 2 (DS)
    3. 40,211 - Brain Training (DS)
    4. 32,467 - Metroid Prime Hunters (DS)
    5. 31,600 - World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 (PS2)
    6. 29,209 - Tetris DS (DS)
    7. 28,552 - Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
    8. 25,997 - English Training (DS)
    9. 20,852 - Powerful Pro Major League Baseball (PS2)
    10. 15,640 - Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (PSP)

Now do you see what I mean. The Japanese consumer will buy more new games per individual then the much Larger American consumer.

I would say since the more consoles sold in A the more games will sell then why not push the boat out there... which is what Sony are doing from what I can see.

Thats what everyone dreams, like I said microsoft and sony are trying to encourage gamers in the US and europe to buy more games, hence live arcade and so on. But its just not catching on in the same league as the profit that pours out of Japan. It might in the future, but not now, and until it does all 3 companies will want Japan.

These markets depend on high console sales. That is my take on it anyway, seems like a matter of opinion to be honest.

But nobody makes money from consoles, it doesnt matter if Sony sold 5 million consoles in the US but only 3 games per customer per month, they would have to wait 3 months to begin seeing a profit, which yes if you have the money to throw around (hello Microsoft) then you can take that hit and wait it out. And if your console has an extra income via blue ray sales then you could also recover from the loss. But if your console is JUST a games console and your company doesnt have the revenue to hemorage money for 3 months then its simply not worth the bloody risk.
    they have a pathetic number of consoles for Japan, 100,000

The scary thought is they could possible make more money from that 100,000 then the 500 000 in the US.
    As for the second part it's pretty straightforward. The parts in a PS3 make it worth €600. The parts in a Wii make it worth about €100.

what about supply and demand?

If there is demand for PS3 games (ala Metal Gear Solid 4) but no demand for blu ray, the extra cost added by blu ray is actually hindering both the supply and the demand.

So.

I want MGS4 (i really do.) my demand for that game puts it so I am willing to pay up to £400 for the machine that will play it. Urgo its a high demand for the console, the games it plays and most of its hardware.

the catch is...I dont want Blu Ray, I have no demand for it, I am at most willing to shell out £80 for the thing if it means I get my MGS4 etc.

So the problem here (and with alot of gamers) is that the demand for ) PS3 is high and people will flock for it, but the demand for blu ray is nowhere near as high and its extra cost pushes the console that I want out of my prace range thus bringing the demand down.

Now like you say, there are people who have high demand for both elements, which is fine, but I'm saying that Sony are fumbling because the demand for one part of their product is f*cking huge! (PS3) but the other part (the Blu ray player) seems luke warm at most. Worse it is that part of the machine that is damaging the supply which means Sony cannot even match the demand that want both parts.

Its an economic nightmare.
    Kids... exactly. It is a kid's argument and I had it myself. There is no logic to it.

Well thats exactly what it is. Just keep a cool head, and only listen to the people who try to explain it out (like me or Retrogamer and so on.) and ignore the ones who use txtspk and scream nonesense. You'll get that with most entertainment products (*cough* music industry *cough*)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

Excellent post BlitzKrieg, but you do realise that you're only allowed to say that the ps3 is 'ghey' and doomed or it 'pwns' everything.

Coherent, logical and unbiased posts have no place in the next gen.....

On a side note, how do european sales compare to American? Also, do you have any figures on how much each market spends, as even if the Americans buy more than us, we could spend more because of higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

On a side note, how do european sales compare to American? Also, do you have any figures on how much each market spends, as even if the Americans buy more than us, we could spend more because of higher prices.

its a pain trying to find european sales records (with actual revenue numbers etc) compared to japan and US. (there's a forum dedicated to putting up the records of those countries. http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/folder.php?fid=23&page=2)

But if I was to hazard a guess, I'm guessing the higher prices, combined with the less spend happy attitude of most european consumers (compared to both or american and japanese cousins) means that the sale records would look weaker then even the US.

Though if one was to cast a memory back to the Celtic Tiger, I remember due to Irish recklessness we'd actually jumped up pretty high in world sales for PS1 sales.

here's 2005 though: http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=17886

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Shrewd:

1. Characterized by keen awareness, sharp intelligence, and often a
    sense of the practical.
    2. Disposed to artful and cunning practices; tricky.
    3. Sharp; penetrating: a shrewd wind.

mcgarnicle wrote:
    No part, I understand it perfectly to be honest. Your orginal post seemed to claim they were shrewd simply for charging a higher price.

Your three points were:
    1- They can charge a lot cos people will pay it.

Yes very shrewd.

2- They avoid looking like a discount console.

Again purely because of high price. Nothing shrewd about this, mere coincidence really.

3- They can lower the price in the future and still make profit.

Wow, pure genius.

(1) Picking a price that gives you a dacent amount of profit but is still cheap enough to sell in high numbers is shrewd.

(2) Having a price that is cheap but not cheap enough that you look like the lada of consoles and earns you profit is shrewd.

(3) Having a price that earns you profit, but that you can reduce a little in the future in order to increase sales and probably still earn a lesser amount of profit is shrewd.

Being able to lower the price further until you break even on the console, when software sales are on track and the software sales earning you dacent profit is shrewd.

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Sorry for the sarcasm but you seem to be implying that your simplistic points were too much for me to understand.
    If I charge some idiot €10,000 for my banged up Lada it doesn't make me a shrewd business person it makes me a cowboy.
    I'm not saying the Wii is the gaming equivelant of a lada before the fanboys attack me, I am saying that simply charing more than you should because you can does not make you a shrewd business person, which is what your point was.

It would make you a cowboy, abeit a shrewd one :-)

Knowing how much you can screw a customer for a product is all part of being a shrewd businessman. After all you are trying to make as much money as possible.

Whats not shrewd about instinctively knowing how far you can push a customer and getting as much money as possible?

Remember a product is not too expensive if there is someone willing to pay the price.

I.e. Sony charge €600 as they know, while it's very expensive, there will be lots of people willing to pay that price for a PS3.

They won't try charge €800 for a PS3 as there are many less people who will buy one at €800.

Sony is therefore being shrewd with their pricing by charging as much money as the market will bare in order to reduce their loss per console.
    mcgarnicle wrote:
    Also what you have described in this post seems to me to more or less describe the situation at the time of the PS2 vs Gamecube... except for Nintendo's reliance on older tech this gen. Going by the outcome of that I don't really think Sony need to take advice from Nintendo... do you?

People are pointing to the cost of PS3, I remember paying 380 Irish for the PS2, not too far off the PS3 price.

As I'm sure you guessed my last comment in that post was being tounge in cheek.....

Nintendo are playing a different game to Sony.

Nintendo will make a dacent profit with half the effort Sony have will make to earn the same money.

Maybe there is something to Nintendo's way of thinking.

Afterall the PS2 did have the worst graphics of the generation by far, but sold the best.

Perhaps Sony should release a slightly less pricey/ cutting edge console next gen, that they make a profit on from the get go.
    (Would def make a difference to launch figures)

If Nintendo can earn profit from day one by playing it smart why not?

They are not a charity, they don't love people, they def don't love Europeans!

They are a company that sell things people that want at prices they are willing to pay for them to make as much money as possible.

At the end of the day business is just business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

sprinkles wrote:
    I think his point was not that nintendo are charging more than they should be, rather that Sony are charging less than they should be. The 2 business plans are completely different. nintendo is a games company. If they cut the cost of their machine to the same extent that sony ans MS are and have done and ran the risk of it failing then they would run the risk of being finacially dumped out of the onsole market.

I think Sony have picked the max price that people are willing to pay. I don't it's a wrong price.
    (I thing it's a stupidly high price that I won't be paying, but one that many people think is worth paying for a PS3 to fair enough Sony).

sprinkles wrote:
    Nintendo have always sold their wares at a profit. The GC and N64 was no different. However that does not make them cowboys. What it does do it allows them to limit the games that are released. They don't need all the 3rd party games coming out for thier console. They can pick and choose the higher quality games (companies) and reject the rest. This will ensure that the majority of the games on the console will be worth buying. In ocmplete contrast to the PS2/Xbox where the vast majority is tripe.

I don't think Nintendo worry too much about 3rd party companies.

They only really worry about there games released by them that makes them money, and usually the majority of games worth buying on their consoles are by them so they are happy enough to sit back and make plenty of profit and not worry too much about other companies.
    sprinkles wrote:
    I guess my point is that Nintendo are securing their long term future by selling the wii at a profit, something sony and MS don't really need to worry too much about as they have deep pockets. This also allows them to cut the price if needed at relatively low cost to them.

Nail on head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Thats because they never missed a big christmas launch before. This year they are going to lose an awful lot of sales to the 360 and Wii.

totally agree.:D they just dont get that simple theory...
    CiDeRmAn wrote:
    To give an example of the type of hype already felt out there, and therefore helping Sonys cause, I had a colleague ask me about the PS3 saying it was what her son wanted this Christmas, I first told her it was delayed til March 07 and she rolled her eyes to heaven then I mentioned the price, to which she answered, "Sure its only a few bob more", so there you go, MS and Ninty are doomed as long as these parents blindly follow the instructions of their equally blind offspring. Oh, yeah, the suggestion that she whould buy him a 360 just resulted in a rather incredulous look and the conversation steered back to the PS3, no justice in the world is there, I reckon at this stage it would take Sony to actually package dog crap in the PS3 box to tirn folk off and even then they will probably just pass it off as a limited edition and charge more of it!
    wat a sad story...but it just happens all the time...

p/s:does anyone know that NIntendo is the winner among the battles of GC,Xbox and PS2 from the aspect of PROFIT?i read an article about that analysis this year,it's about sort of the marketing/commercial stuffs.Maybe GC eventually (looks like) s*cks in the battles with xbox and ps2,but they are the one who earn the most $$ among SCE and MS,which ,prove that the marketing strategy of the (very experienced,old) Nintendo did a great job.
    plus,anyone notices that the 'technics' of nintendo advertising their products is way effective and successful since NDS?Nintendo changed their partner(i cant state the name out cause' i only know the name in japanese).
    i would seriously say that 'wii will rock ya' in the future,hope those old 'happy unforgetable gaming days' are gonna come back to me.

p/s2: i think that,most of us on this forum are not really anti-sony ,at least for myself,i am a Games-fan,which mean that i am a fan of GAMES.Unfortunately,coincidencely,Nintendo brought lots of joy of unforgetable gaming experiences to us gamer,far more than nowadays ---(too many)games on a u-can-find-everywhere-and-companies-keep-supporting-it-with-****-games Playstation just simply bored me.i bought a ps2 (which i spent most of my time of playing old ps1 games),just because there are many games i love released on it.
    now saying that they want to rip you off by selling you a really pointless bluray+HDTV support machine (in a seriously insanely high price for being gaming machine).as a poor little gamer on earth,i am not gonna buy that bill...;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think sony made the biggest profit. When the PS2 became cheaper to manufacture Sony started selling them at a profit and sold a hell of a lot more PS2's in the twilight years. Nintendo made a profit which slowed down as the time went by. Microsoft lost billions on the xbox but achieved their aim of becoming a household name so that the 360 has a much better chance of being profittable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I think sony made the biggest profit. When the PS2 became cheaper to manufacture Sony started selling them at a profit and sold a hell of a lot more PS2's in the twilight years. Nintendo made a profit which slowed down as the time went by. Microsoft lost billions on the xbox but achieved their aim of becoming a household name so that the 360 has a much better chance of being profittable.

dont forget the piracy problem of ps2 games...:p forgery games made ps2 became the most popular game console in the world(i m talking about uncountable of forgery game buyers in many places ,eg.Asia),but that doesnt mean SCE earn the most.(now i remember that maybe that article seems to relate to this issue)

i googled and find this article,which also talking about profit of the 3 companies.it is different than the 1 i saw,but it is a good analysis though.no harm to take a look:p
    http://nintendoinsider.com/site/EEEZuAypVuTuOJPzyb.php

Advertisement