Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Deliveries

Options
  • 06-10-2006 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else in the South Meath area having problems with their post lately?

Am in Ashbourne and the post runs really late...as in next day delivery is non-existent. Weekly items i used to receive on a specific day are not arriving 2/3 days later than usual. Somedays I get no post at all and then get a whole lot the following day. Stuff from the UK is taking at least one week to get delivered.

Anyone else having problems or does the postman just not like me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I have a friend, who lives in Ratoath, and he has been reporting similar problems for almost a year now. He said it's something to do with the sorting office.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There may be staff on long-term sick leave and the other staff may be unwilling to do overtime. (That is the problem in my area).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

It's the same in parts of Louth, I'm in Dundalk myself and it's very rare i get anything on time. Post from UK for me is usually 2 - 4 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭disc

i work for an post ...
    the reason post deliveries have become so so so bad is because :

1. there is a lot of people out sick ...
    2. Overtime has become a joke in the place, if you do 10 hours a week overtime, head office in mulligar may only pay you 5/6 of that overtime so a lot of the guys ain't doing it anymore..
    (one guy who works with us going on holiday done 6am to 8pm shifts for 2 weeks and didn't even get half his overtime, managements ecxause " theres no way you would do that much overtime".......
    3. They introduced a new computer system some time back that was to speed things up yet it hardly works anymore, and if you posted a letter in dundalk to another person in dundalk it has to be sent to dublin to come back (hopefully) the next day..
    4. A lot of post men are leaving the job cause management seemed to be kicking and kicking us while we are down , remember when the whole country got a pay increase we didn't and we are still owed a few pound yet

3. They introduced a new computer system some time back that was to speed things up yet it hardly works anymore, and if you posted a letter in dundalk to another person in dundalk it has to be sent to dublin to come back (hopefully) the next day..

wondered why town to town post was slow, it's a joke and it ain't funny either when your missing deadlines or waiting on stuff to arrive before a certain date. more and more now i use DHL, so much for my tax money :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

The whole sector needs to be opened up to competition.
    Its ridiculous.
    Its the same in Navan. Post in Navan to a Navan address has to go to dublin to come back... madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Its no wonder the postal service in Ireland is in such a sorry state loads of stafff are taking advantage of the far too generous sick leave scheme. Living in a town and were lucky to get post delivered 4 days a week.I Fully agree with the above poster. Let competition sort out an post. Maybe someone like Michael O'Leary would cause their employees a few sleepless nights!

i think that above statement is a bit unfair there is a lot of sick leave in any job..

You must remeber that no matter what the weather is the postman are ALways out in it ,
    have been out were people were taking their dogs in cause it rained so much and their you are on a bike, loaded to the gills with direct mail(rubbish post you throw in the bin)

Problem with an post is the management........
    Example : we got a letter about holiday arrangements for next year and we have lost a weeks holidays ??????????? And our union agreed to it, like it is a tramps job .

Can you see a strike coming for christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

It is poor management thats causing problems, i don't dispute that, but the unions in this country have the government and public over a barrel... of we're not happy, lets strike! Not winning many friends that way.

Maybe if the industry was opened up, it would give an post the kick up the a** it needs.

it should be opened, anytime i look for a parcel delivered i use a gurrier they are far quicker and more secure ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

disc wrote:
    it should be opened, anytime i look for a parcel delivered i use a gurrier they are far quicker and more secure ,
    I wouldn't trust a gurrier ;)

disc wrote:
    You must remeber that no matter what the weather is the postman are ALways out in it

I beg to differ, you never see my local postie out in bad weather and thats a fact in my area.

he s a lucky bugger so , cause i have been out and it P***ing out of the heavens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

It's getting beyond a joke at this stage. Yesterday I got a letter in the post that was sent in September.

If I ever I have something important now to send from work I use a courier. At least you are guarenteed next day delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CallieO

mick_irl wrote: »
    It's getting beyond a joke at this stage. Yesterday I got a letter in the post that was sent in September.

If I ever I have something important now to send from work I use a courier. At least you are guarenteed next day delivery.

Not a courrier I doubt?

The courrier will collect from you direct and deliver straight to the delivery point. Parcel networks collect from all the businesses in the area and consolidate - its green and lean and the way of the future lol

Advertisement