Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i get broadband

Options
  • 06-10-2006 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

hi i live in co.sligo and altough broadband is available to sligo city and a few other towns it is not available where i live can someone tell me how would i get them to turn on the broadband exchange where i live? would i have to get maybe 50-100 people presigned up first before they would be interested in supplying broadband?

i really need broadband in my home as dial up is doing my head in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 weewoman

Don't Get Bt.....they Are Crap!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

bubthatub wrote:
    hi i live in co.sligo and altough broadband is available to sligo city and a few other towns it is not available where i live can someone tell me how would i get them to turn on the broadband exchange where i live? would i have to get maybe 50-100 people presigned up first before they would be interested in supplying broadband?

i really need broadband in my home as dial up is doing my head in.
    Check www.broadband.gov.ie to see wht sort of broadband options are available to you.

There is no process for having a telephone exchange enabled. If eircom think that it's worth their while enabling an exchange, they'll enable it. If they don't think it's worth their while, they won't. They claim that it costs them an average of €100,000 to enable an echange, so you might need a few more than 100 people signed up to make it worth their while.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

weewoman wrote:
    Don't Get Bt.....they Are Crap!!!!!!!!!
    there are plenty worse companies out there than BT tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

IBB Ripwave..no phone lines required, plug straight into PC and away you go..it's not exactly cutting edge but a helluva lot faster than dial-up..having said that I'm on the lookout for something better..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

There was an interview with the CEO of Eircon (Rex Comb) today which might be relevant to your situation. Its not positve, I'm sorry to say.

Possibly Westnet might be of some help?

http://www.westnet.ie/

I would think Ripwave is only available in large urban areas (it may be available to you but I just don't know). Its not got a good reputation though as a product.

Perhaps another option might be vodafone or o2s 3g product? Not cheap though (€50 a month) and most likely not available.

--
    Comb's stance on broadband is similar to that of Nolan in that he says it simply isn't economic for Eircom to enable the 700 phone exchanges that constitute the final 25 per cent of lines, most of which are in rural areas.

Doing that would cost €70 million, Comb says. "It doesn't matter what the take-up would be because we would never get a payback." The solution should encompass a measure of public funding via public tender. He believes the Government is amenable to a solution but he says "nothing is finalised".

• Advertisement
Advertisement