Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

lights on reminder buzzer

Options
  • 06-10-2006 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Haya,

the "lights on" reminder buzzer isnt working. Is this a fuse problem? Ive had a goo and they look fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ogriofa wrote:
    Haya,

the "lights on" reminder buzzer isnt working. Is this a fuse problem? Ive had a goo and they look fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Keys in ignition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D

Mine does'nt work either, best to try to locate the buzzer unit and waggle the wires.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

ba bum, tishhhh (if youre joking) :D

Nah, its the mothers car, the buzzer wasnt working and she left the lights on and wore down the battery!

mike65 wrote:
    :D

Mine does'nt work either, best to try to locate the buzzer unit and waggle the wires.

Mike.

Haya, ive no idea where that is - can you point me in the right direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

Not a VW Bora by any chance? Both myself and my dad had the same problem on our cars. Never found out how to fix it.

• Advertisement

Dec McC wrote:
    Not a VW Bora by any chance? Both myself and my dad had the same problem on our cars. Never found out how to fix it.

nah, its a toyota yaris.

Help us, somebody out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Are the interior lights coming on when you open the door? The buzzer is hooked into this circuit, so if there's something wrong in this department (duff door switch, for example) it'll stop working.

Alun wrote:
    Are the interior lights coming on when you open the door? The buzzer is hooked into this circuit, so if there's something wrong in this department (duff door switch, for example) it'll stop working.

Spot on!, theyre not coming on, passenger door yes, drivers door no.

Whats this door switch you speak of? Is it the little knob in the doorwell? Can i fix this or is it a garage job?

ta

Usually there's a little sprung pin, plastic or metal, in the inside of the part of the car body that the door hinges on that activates the switch and is pressed in by the door when you close it. Sometimes it just sticks a bit so give it a good wiggle and it'll spring out. Otherwise it's possibly just broken. Not a big job to replace it yourself I'd say if you can geta new switch. Try the 'wiggle method' first though :)

My wife has a Yaris, but she's out at the moment getting my Indian takeaway. I'll take a quick look when she gets back just to make sure the Yaris is not some strange exception to this rule.

Alun wrote:
    Try the 'wiggle method' first though :)

wooo
    Alun wrote:
    I'll take a quick look when she gets back just to make sure the Yaris is not some strange exception to this rule.

Fair play! That'd be great.

Would i get one of those yokes in a breakers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Might only need a drop of oil

Seven Worlds will Collide

It's a good job I looked to make sure ... on my wife's Yaris ('00 model) the switch is actually in the part of the body where the door latch is, just underneath the door latch, covered with a rubber hood to prevent water getting in. Should be easy enough to spot when you open the door.

yeah, i see that now. Ive "wiggled" and it hasnt changed it.

Do you reckon i could fit the part if i went to a breakers or sometin'?

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

If they work off the door switch, when the door is open, the plastic "pin" forces a wire against the metal of the door jamb, grounding the circuit.

Usually the "pin" is held in by a screw, might be easy enough to get off and see if corrosion or dirt is stopping it from making a clean contact.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Dec McC wrote:

When it doesn't work on VW's it's more than likely the door lock (not barrell) It's not really worth replacing unless it's givin other trouble (interior lights staying on, car not locking etc)
    Did u ever take either to a VW dealer?

mmenarry wrote:
    If they work off the door switch, when the door is open, the plastic "pin" forces a wire against the metal of the door jamb, grounding the circuit.

Usually the "pin" is held in by a screw, might be easy enough to get off and see if corrosion or dirt is stopping it from making a clean contact.

M.

Full marks! Thats excactly it. Theres a screw right where you said. I checked the other door and the pin was out when i opened it.

Thanks lads

So, did you get it sorted in the meantime then? (I was away enjoying my Indian takeaway :) )

Alun wrote:
    So, did you get it sorted in the meantime then? (I was away enjoying my Indian takeaway :) )

ok, now im sick of all your "indian takeaway" fancyness!" ;) What you go for anyway? And surely a coupla cold beers would finish that off nicely!

You were right, and one of the lads pin pointed it for me. Just need to find a breakers, im thinking of the one behind dun laoghaire yaght club?

I asume a toyota garage would charge me over the odds - even if i was to fit it myself (looks simple enough)

ogriofa wrote:
    ok, now im sick of all your "indian takeaway" fancyness!" ;) What you go for anyway? And surely a coupla cold beers would finish that off nicely!
    Saag Gosht (lamb with spinach), pilau rice and a vegetable samosa to start :) Just opened a cold Stella as it happens!
    You were right, and one of the lads pin pointed it for me. Just need to find a breakers, im thinking of the one behind dun laoghaire yaght club?

I asume a toyota garage would charge me over the odds - even if i was to fit it myself (looks simple enough)
    Probably just undo that big cross head screw and the whole thing will come out. I'm guessing there's a plastic connector attaching the wires to the switch, so just undo that and away you go. You'd certainly be best going to a scrapyard, but for something that small, even getting it from a dealer shouldn't be too bad. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

If you do take off the switch to bring it to a scrap yard be careful the block connecter does not fall into the hole as you may find it awkward to fish it out, tie a piece of string to it if necessary.

• Advertisement

i was just starting to worry about that! - good idea

ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

$Leon$ wrote:
    When it doesn't work on VW's it's more than likely the door lock (not barrell) It's not really worth replacing unless it's givin other trouble (interior lights staying on, car not locking etc)
    Did u ever take either to a VW dealer?
    My dad got a price at a garage but it was a couple hundred quid to get sorted. After a while the electrics started acting up in mine - interior lights came on for no reason while driving, doors started locking by themselves etc. We both got rid soon after.

Advertisement