Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WHEN RENAULTS GO WRONG (pic)

Options
  • 06-10-2006 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

Was getting lunch yesterday and heard a car coming at full rev's expecting a boy racer this is what i saw
    [IMG][/img]DSC00374.jpg

It was a 03 laguna diesel, it was at full revs for about 3 min's, by the time i got to him he had all the fuses and battery out , and everything inc lights were still going,i reckon it was the computer or a snaped cable

Just wondering has anybody else heard of this happening

Thats what ya get for buying a renault

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A problem with a car? Never. Theres been 2 threads in the last couple of days with Toyota problems, are they idiots or can toyotas never go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

He probably pressed the "SELF DESTRUCT" button :D

Why didn't he kill the engine?
    (Press clutch, insert highest gear, stand on breaks, let go of clutch ...silence)

EDIT:

I've heard of diesel engines, where the valve seats or injector seats leak diesel into the lubrication oil sump. Eventually the engine oil will become so thin and combustable that the engine will run away on its own oil and become uncontrollable by means of gas pedal or turning off ignition

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Delayed Y2K bug or maybe it got hit by lightning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

have seen this happen to a few vans from being over full with oil. have a van in work at the moment that was 5 litres over full and wouldnt stop so the driver did the same, pulled fuses and battery. Is also a renault engine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 White Van Man

i reckon it was the computer or a snaped cable

Just wondering has anybody else heard of this happening

Thats what ya get for buying a renault

It's a known problem with the 1.9 dci engines

EGR valve sticks shut and a while later things go boom, as you witnessed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

According to parkers.co.uk, wrt. laguna dci engines, the usual fault here is faulty oil seals on the turbocharger. Car starts to fuel itself from the oil in the sump.
    Turning off the ingnition will not stop the engine - the engine will self destruct unless you can stall the car quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Happened to me when I was driving a taxi for a few weeks, in the middle of Dame St! Stopped it as mentioned above: into 5th, clutch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ah yes - a Renault. Probably a tyre pressure monitor issuing a "kill engine" command.

Wait til Junkyard sees this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Ha, ha, ha, I rest my case.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

As said before, overfilling with oil can have that effect. Can't remember the technical term, but basically it's impossible to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Seen it happen before , if your quick/can get at it crush the air intake hose if you can't stall it ,no responibility held for flying turbo blades etc killing you though

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Fey! wrote:
    Can't remember the technical term, but basically it's impossible to stop.

Running on is the term and it is possible to stop as described earlier in the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

The only thing thats electrically controlled on a diesel engine is the fuel supply, the actual ignition happens all by itself, without a spark (unlike petrol)

In cases where the engine runs away with itself, it is not burning diesel through the normal fuel supply, but instead sucking in engine oil (or a mix of oil and diesel) through some faulty seal or another and burning that instead.

Cutting the electricity supply by removing cables / batteries is absolutely pointless in this case, you can interrupt the fuel supply all you want ...the engine is getting it from somwhere else and keeps on running, revving ever higher and higher.

The only way to stop the engine in this case is to stall it. Even an engine running at max revs does not have enough power to move a car from standstill in the highest gear and with breaks appplied.

Stick it in the highest gear, stand on the breaks and let the clutch snap. It might do one jolt forward ...but that's it ...engine off.

Brutal and not exactly clutch friendly ...but effective.

Another reason why you need to stop it quickly: As it is burning its own lubrication, it will eventually run dry, metal on metal until its totally destroyed.
    If you stop it in time, all you need to fix is the broken seal. If you leave it running, your engine will only be scrap metal and you will need a completely new one.

EDIT: depending on the engine, it might actually even rev itself to death, long before the lubrication runs out. If it is getting enough stuff to burn, it might just rev ever higher and higher until something snaps.

and as an aside ...in the country where I got my driving licence, you actually learn these things during your theory classes in driving school :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

My first toughts were Renault ecu, i took me about a min to think about putting it in 5th and stalling it, your man then just said to me, "thats what i get for buying a renault"

on the defence for Renault

The 3.1 liter Isuzu engine was/is also quite famous for that kind of thing. In their case it was faulty injector seats that dripped diesel into the oil sump, thinning down the oil and topping it up to a level where the engine could "help itself" to its own unregulated fuel supply.

They had a worldwide recall for that.

Don't know whether Renault has ever recalled any of their diesels ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

peasant wrote:
    on the defence for Renault

The 3.1 liter Isuzu engine was/is also quite famous for that kind of thing. In their case it was faulty injector seats that dripped diesel into the oil sump, thinning down the oil and topping it up to a level where the engine could "help itself" to its own unregulated fuel supply.

They had a worldwide recall for that.

Don't know whether Renault has ever recalled any of their diesels ...

Wasn't that something to do with red diesel that had been "cleaned" and sold as regular diesel. It was happening loads in Northern Ireland as garages were selling on cleaned red diesel to regular unknowing punters.
    The percentage of failures in N Ireland was way higher than other countries, Izusu had teams over trying to figure out the root cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I was driving outside Trim a few weeks back came up behind a genius in a '01 Laguna Diesel puttin' out clouds of black smoke, passed him out and pointed it out to him, he gave me a big smile and a thumbs up! Lunatic. Looked in my mirror when I was up the road a bit and the black smoke had turned to blue, not a happy ending I think.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

endplate wrote:
    Running on is the term and it is possible to stop as described earlier in the thread

"Running on" is when carbon in the combustion chamber usually around the electrode of the spark plugs, starts glowing red and becomes an ignition source, so when the ignition is switched off and the spark plugs stop providing an ignition source, the glowing carbon provides a source of ignition. This hardly happens on modern engines with injectors as the injectors will stop supplying fuel even if there is a source of ignition. Anyhow, that's not what happened here. All the white smoke/steam, looks like a serious head gasket problem, whatever caused the revs to stick at fulls revs for 3 minutes is a bit of a mystery...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

if this is the case, how would the insurance fare out?
    It's not exactly the owner's fault that this happen..

Does the manufacturer replace a new one or do you claim insurance?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

A customer of mine has a 06 Grande Senic and are having major problems with the brakes, the main dealers have had four attempts at fixing them without success and they're reply now is "we can't fix the problem so basically p*ss off or sue us if you want to" thats a nice bit of customer service thanks to Renault. Its not the only time I've heard of Renault not being able to fix they're problems and people still buy the f**king things, will they ever learn. I suppose as the saying goes " There's a sucker born every minute".:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Shouldn't this topic be called "When one Renault goes wrong" - since it only gives one example, with one photo? I was expecting more....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A search of the boards archive will lead to a few more horror stories.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have a Renault Mégane and its not as bad as those ones. In three years it has only broken down about a dozen times and has never gone on fire yet. I'm thinking of trading it in for another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

joolsveer wrote:
    I have a Renault Mégane and its not as bad as those ones. In three years it has only broken down about a dozen times and has never gone on fire yet. I'm thinking of trading it in for another.
    Would that post be considered to be an oxymoron post?

only broken down about a dozen times and you want another?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Shouldn't this topic be called "When one Renault goes wrong" - since it only gives one example, with one photo? I was expecting more....

Here's a link to another forum (Sorry Mod's if this is against rules - please delelte if this is the case ) - lots about Renault in here

http://www.parkers.co.uk/advice/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Darragh29 wrote:
    "Running on" is when carbon in the combustion chamber usually around the electrode of the spark plugs, starts glowing red and becomes an ignition source,
    That's a condition that can occur in petrol engines, and ironically is called "dieseling", because, like in a diesel engine, there is ignition without spark.
    Darragh29 wrote:
    whatever caused the revs to stick at fulls revs for 3 minutes is a bit of a mystery...
    Explained already.. engine was feeding off its own oil!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

lau1247 wrote:
    if this is the case, how would the insurance fare out?
    It's not exactly the owner's fault that this happen..

Does the manufacturer replace a new one or do you claim insurance?

I only know of one other situation where an engine self destructed on a newish car. It was a 5yo Ford Focus 1.4, and the camshaft went to sh1t for some unknown reason.

Ford replaced the engine FOC after a bit of persuasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

JHMEG wrote:
    That's a condition that can occur in petrol engines, and ironically is called "dieseling", because, like in a diesel engine, there is ignition without spark.

Except diesels ignite due to compression, not because of a heat source... apart from single cylinder semi-diesels which have a blow-torch integrated into the head.

:)

Advertisement