Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WHEN RENAULTS GO WRONG (pic)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Does anyone actually know the history of the car in th eOPs pic?

Was it driven through a flood?
    Was it a bad ecu chip / tune-up job?
    Was it crashed and poorly repaired by a non-renalut garage?
    Was it serviced/repaired with poor quality non-OEM parts?
    Was it ever serviced? or had the oil changed / topped up?

Cause, if you do not know the history of that particular car, then I would suggest that you are in no position to comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

prospect wrote:

Cause, if you do not know the history of that particular car, then I would suggest that you are in no position to comment on it.

I think the general theme of this thread is that renaults are not the most reliable car in the world. Of course we don't know exactly what happened the car in the OP's pic, but on the balance of averages it looks like catastrophic engine failure!

A laguna II also expired outside my office last week! Its like that saying about how if one person calls you a horse you floor him, but if three do so, it is time to buy a saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

BreadBoard wrote:
    Ah, I'm sorry I misunderstood you :)

I myself have drove Nissan cars since I was 19. I had a 91 Micra, I done the scrapage deal on that in 2000 for a 00 Micra and this year I moved to the 1.8 2000 Primera. I have drove other cars but I don't think I can comment on cars really as I have only owned Nissan cars. But I can tell you that if was to get another car it more than likely be a Nissan as I have very little problems with them. I had only one problem with my 00 Micra, the clutch went on it about 18 months later but luckily enough it was a fault on the car and not mine and was repaired under the warranty. I never had a problem with it after that.

What's your opinion on Nissan's junkyard?

Don't Renault own Nissan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Renault has a 44.4% stake in Nissan. Renault and Nissan are both run by the same person, Carlos Ghosn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

JHMEG wrote:
    ...Explained already.. engine was feeding off its own oil!

Absolute rubbish. A petrol engine cannot run at full RPM for 3 minutes using engine oil as fuel. Whoever told you this doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Darragh29 wrote:
    Absolute rubbish. A petrol engine cannot run at full RPM for 3 minutes using engine oil as fuel. Whoever told you this doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

You are absolutely correct ...a petrol engine can't run on oil at all ...nevermind for a whole three minutes.

A diesel engine on the other hand can. And if you read this thread over again you will notice to your embarrasement that we have been talking about ...yeees ...diesel engines all along :D

peasant wrote:
    You are absolutely correct ...a petrol engine can't run on oil at all ...nevermind for a whole three minutes.

A diesel engine on the other hand can. And if you read this thread over again you will notice to your embarrasement that we have been talking about ...yeees ...diesel engines all along :D

Not embarrassed at all, I've a degree in Automotive Engineering and I can tell you that you cannot run a diesel engine on engine oil at full RPM for 3 minutes. I stand corrected on the fuel type but again, whoever is advising the OP that their engine was running at full RPM for 3 minutes on engine oil doesn't have a fu*king clue what they are talking about.

Darragh29 wrote:
    Not embarrassed at all, I've a degree in Automotive Engineering and I can tell you that you cannot run a diesel engine on engine oil at full RPM for 3 minutes. I stand corrected on the fuel type but again, whoever is advising the OP that their engine was running at full RPM for 3 minutes on engine oil doesn't have a fu*king clue what they are talking about.

I suspect though if you have a sump full of diesel due to a leaky injector (rather than oil), it should be possible for this situation to occur. I don't imagine the engine would run particularly well, but should it not at least *run*?

maidhc wrote:
    I suspect though if you have a sump full of diesel due to a leaky injector (rather than oil), it should be possible for this situation to occur. I don't imagine the engine would run particularly well, but should it not at least *run*?

Nope, diesel injectors don't just "leak" like a tap leaks. They wouldn't all leak together, you might have one leaking but it wouldn't leak when the engine wasn't running, so even if it was leaking fuel, it would have to be when the engine was runinng due to the pressure required to open a diesel injector in the first place, (can be up to 200 atmosphere's or 2000 PSI depending on the fuel delivery system), it would be leaking into the combustion chamber and getting burnt off, albeit very economically, it would not be leaking that much fuel volume where it would be passing unburnt through the combustion chamber and leaking past the two piston seals and one piston oil seal and into the oil sump. If it was leaking badly or not calibrated properly, it would deliver the incorrect fuel charge and just cause an obvious emissions problem, not a dilution of the engine oil in the sump with diesel and then start burning this liquid as fuel!

Darragh29 wrote:
    Nope, diesel injectors don't just "leak" like a tap leaks. They wouldn't all leak together, you might have one leaking but it wouldn't leak when the engine wasn't running, so even if it was leaking fuel, it would have to be when the engine was runinng due to the pressure required to open a diesel injector in the first place, (can be up to 200 atmosphere's or 2000 PSI depending on the fuel delivery system), it would be leaking into the combustion chamber and getting burnt off, albeit very economically, it would not be leaking that much fuel volume where it would be passing unburnt through the combustion chamber and leaking past the two piston seals and one piston oil seal and into the oil sump. If it was leaking badly or not calibrated properly, it would deliver the incorrect fuel charge and just cause an obvious emissions problem, not a dilution of the engine oil in the sump with diesel and then start burning this liquid as fuel!

I wont argue with you, but I assume it is possible for diesel to make journey from injector to sump, as oil usually becomes contaminated with diesel after several hundred hours of work. More so I suspect with older type diesels with distributor diesel pumps.

• Advertisement

Probably will get banned for this or something, but look at the last post:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=34738
    I currently drive, well did until last thursday, a 02 Laguna 1.9DCI. Less than 80K miles! On my way to work last thursday, just after been stuck in road-works traffic lights, I noticed a severe lack of power from the engine. Nothing came up on the dash, no warning lights etc. so I carried on albeit lumbering along at around 40kph. Suddenly a lot of white smoke bellowed from the exhaust. I didnt know what was happening so turned the car off and jumped from the car. I guessed there was something up as the engine kept running, at a crazy speed, and I was standing on the far side of the road with the key-card in my hand! It eventually stopped and I returned to the car, after knocking maybe three or four years off the ozone layer!

I was in complete shock and locked the car and decided to walk the 3 miles or so to work. I rang a local Renault garage and asked them to pick it up, which they did!

It turns out the turbo had blown and in doing so sucked all the oil from the sump, which may have destroyed the engine, as it was still running at a crazy speed! They quoted me a huge amount of money to have it repaired. I only bought the car private 10 weeks ago and the owner to be fair has been of great help, he even picked the car up on a borrowed transporter and brought it to my local mechanic.

He brought the car in from the UK originally and assures me all the sevirces were complete and on time from Renault dealers in the UK. This was confirmed in the book that came with the car.

I decided to do some more investigation and found the following

http://forum.parkers.co.uk/topic.asp...64&whichpage=7

I noticed that Renault UK have stood by these faults and have them repaired without cost to the owner should they arise.

I wonder if its too much to ask, but do our Irish renault dealers do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just going OT for a second - I hadn't seen that askaboutmoney motoring forum before and there are some real idiots posting on there. Take a look at this post:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=262140

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

maidhc wrote:
    Probably will get banned for this or something, but look at the last post:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=34738

So who wins? You or daragh?:)

Oh and if the poster of the qoute from askaboutmoney is also on here, it's renault Ireland he should be asking as opposed to a renault dealer surely?

Also as an aside to Brians post above, mods should really delete an idiotic/potentially dangerous advice, to protect the stupid and/or gullible.

Advertisement