Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim VAT back off products from UK?

Options
  • 06-10-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Hey, i hope this is in the right forum:D

Anyway i'm buying a laptop in the near future and want to claim the VAT back off it. Can i do this if i buy the product from an english based company, that have no bases here in Ireland?

It said nothing about this on www.revenue.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

yes as long as you are vat registered here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

That's good news. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

you would give them your irish VAT number and they would sell it to you at their ex vat price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

You cant claim the vat back on your Irish vat return.

You must get a Vat 65 from the customs & excise.

As said above if you provide yor vat number to the business in England they will not charge Uk vat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Cheers for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

You will have to self account for it on your VAT 3 also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Simplest solution is to give your VAT nr to the UK supplier, and this will enable them to supply goods 0% VAT rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

As said you should send them your VAT number, but just a note, many uk retailers who deliver abroad will ask for an official Purchase order for their own VAT records as they will have to account for why they have charged VAT on a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bertebug

be advised that its possible to verify that a vat number is lkosher on a revenue web site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just bought a lappie from www.laptopsdirect.ie uk based but you just type in the vat number when you order and they dont charge it (sometimes companies want a faxed letterhead with the no on it just to prove who you are)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pistonbroke

I purchased a van in Northern Ireland and had to pay over a grand in VAT as I am living in the South and am not VAT regisered is there anyway I can get this money back or is it lost forever to the British Government?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CapedCrusader

Be thankful you just need a refund of UK VAT - I'm trying to get a VAT refund from the Germans and let's just say they have a very rich tradition in paperwork :-)

The VAT refund application looks for a document certifying that the person is an "entrepeneur". What is this? I'm a sole trader. Will my business name registration cert suffice?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

I purchased a van in Northern Ireland and had to pay over a grand in VAT as I am living in the South and am not VAT regisered is there anyway I can get this money back or is it lost forever to the British Government?

You can only reclaim VAT paid if you're regeistered for VAT. Simple answer is No, you can't. You either pay it there or here and it's cheaper there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 citygirl2009

I have an Irish VAT number and want to buy a laptop for my business. I phoned Currys in Newry and they said because they are a retail outlet they have to sell laptops inclusive of VAT. Also Pixmania said they sell online inclusive of VAT. How do I purchase a laptop and be exempt from VAT? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Please start a new thread as this one is 6 years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement