Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music for the leaving cert.

Options
  • 06-10-2006 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi,

Im thinking about talking music for the leaving cert.
    I guess for most it would be a straight forward decision, but i didnt actually take music for the junior cert.
    Im not exactly jumping in the deep end, as i took music theory classes up to grade 5, but i stopped at the age of 11.
    I played the piano for a few years and did exams up to grande 4, but as i said, i stopped at the age of 11.
    I took up guitar since and hae been playing for 4 years now.
    I was just wondering if any of you had any advice to offer?
    perhaps i should take the piano up again?
    or perhaps i should do the practical with classical guitar? maybe both?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You will be more than fine by the sound of the extent of your education.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd stick with both - if you can afford the time. Personally, if I'd to make a chioce between the two I'd favour the piano - but thats my personal preference (I currently play both and a few others besides).

By the sounds of it, you should have no problem.

Go for it - and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Music for the LC is absolute piss, go for it, with grade 5 theory you'll easily get a B, and with a small bit of effort, an A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I've played guitar for 5 years and didn't do music for the junior aswell. I'm doing it for the leaving now and I find it very easy. It's all music theory so you don't need to be any good at playing an instrument. I'd advise you to take it up, with your knowledge you'd have a very easy time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Pet wrote:
    Music for the LC is absolute piss, go for it, with grade 5 theory you'll easily get a B, and with a small bit of effort, an A.

True.
    Although my teacher in my school was shockingly bad so I took the classes in DIT, for 6th year.

It is really easy, the practical is easy, you can do Sibelius computer music notation as a second instrument (which is ridiculously easy), then do four pieces on your other instrument, and they mark you at ordinary level!!!!(the grade is still higher level!)

That's how it was 3 years ago anyway, and I don't think it's changed...

Anyway, yes very easy, you won't be doing any practical learning, just the recital at the end.

I got an A2 btw:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Yeah you'll manage it no hassle to you. Its the highest rate of honours in the country besides russian, and you'll have no problem with your level of theory, it's probably more than most tbh.

It's proven however that they do grade you better if you're doing two instruments so either you could take up the piano again, or if you're not bothered with the time just do the music technology, no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

not a bother you'll manage fine. I had hardly any background in music and the next thing I take it for the leaving and did well out of it cos it's so easy!!!

Just approach it as you would any new subject.

Get a good teacher and get good advice.

Get good notes!

If ur doing performance, pick good, diverse pieces that you can play confidently. Also look into doing the music technology option (eg, using a programme like Sibelius or Finale to notate, save and edit music, etc etc): it's not hard to get full marks in it. Basically marks for nothing! Ask a good teacher about this.

It's also a great subject to have during 6th yr as studying usually involves playing or listening to music! If you enjoyed music before, you'll have no problem with LC music. I did a preliminary course at the start of 5th yr for ppl who didn't have much theory, etc. so if you can find something like that it'll give you a head start. Best of Luck!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

OP, I'd say take the piano back up. My bro is 20 and stopped playing piano around the age of 11. He sat down yesterday and was still ale to sight-read pretty well. Sure there were a few wrongs notes and it was fairly slow, but put that back into practice and you'd have it picked up in no time.

I'm 99.9% sure I want to do music for the LC but the mother is advising otherwise.

I did a one-year course in Artane for JC and got a suprising B, I'd been hoping for an A.

I'm on grade8 on the piano but have never done any theory classes or exams. I just have the basic theory from the pieces I've played over the years.

My mum thinks that it's hard to do well in, is this true? (And I mean to get an A) I thought otherwise..

I'm not sure how great the music teachers in my school are. Is having a good teacher a crucial must?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

My Ma didn't think I'd be able for it either cos I quit piano at age 10 or 11 but I got through it in the end! I'd say if you've done to grade 8 in piano you'd be ok. It's just another subject and something new to learn: a strong background in music is an advantage, but not all that nececcary. It just means that you have to work a bit harder on the theory side of things. It really isn't a difficult subject and a bit of hard work goes a long way. Plus if you enjoy it, the hard work won't seem too bad!

If you can find somewhere that does a preliminary course it's also really helpful. Cos I didn't have much of a background in music theory etc. I did the preliminary course in Walton's (dunno if it's still taught tho) plus the actual LC music course twice (in other words, I did the whole 1 year course in 5th year and again in 6th year).

I dunno if they have a textbook for LC music yet but if they don't, you'd need a good teacher to get good notes. Most of the quesions, especially the composing paper, are fairly formulaic, and if you have good notes and good advice the whole thing seems a lot easier.

You might be able to find someone who has dun LC music recently and get their notes off them. I dunno if the institute (on leeson st) run grinds or revision courses in music, but they usually have good notes. (In general, the institute is great for the revision courses at Christmas and Easter holidays in 6th yr.)

Most ppl I've talked to get a B1 or B2 or an A2. I've only met 1 person who got an A1! Some ppl were aiming for an A1 but wound up with a B1 or B2. And even ppl who've done advanced grades and all that don't always get an A1! I got an A2 but I was aiming for a B2...B1 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

OP, I'd say take the piano back up. My bro is 20 and stopped playing piano around the age of 11. He sat down yesterday and was still ale to sight-read pretty well. Sure there were a few wrongs notes and it was fairly slow, but put that back into practice and you'd have it picked up in no time.

I'm 99.9% sure I want to do music for the LC but the mother is advising otherwise.

I did a one-year course in Artane for JC and got a suprising B, I'd been hoping for an A.

I'm on grade8 on the piano but have never done any theory classes or exams. I just have the basic theory from the pieces I've played over the years.

My mum thinks that it's hard to do well in, is this true? (And I mean to get an A) I thought otherwise..

I'm not sure how great the music teachers in my school are. Is having a good teacher a crucial must?

You will be more than fine, go ahead with it, and your mother is wrong, to be honest. It's a short course and pretty easy. Plus, you'll be able to blitz the practical and have 50% in the bag long before June.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kate_131

I was thinking about taking up music for the leaving cert, I am in 5th year now and I havent really played the piano at all i just know the basics. Do you think i'd be able to get up to speed with the ciriculum or is it too late?

Advertisement