Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrap it or fix it

Options
  • 06-10-2006 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I have a 95 Toyota Estima 2.2 diesel for the last 3 years.Soon after i got it the head gasket went i got it done under warranty.It was alright for a while but eventually started to lose coolant.I used Seal up on it and it has been ok until recently.It looks like the gasket or the head is gone again.My problem is do i put a new engine in it.This would cost 1500 euro for a secound hand recon engine god knows how much the labour would be .My question is should i spend the money on it or get rid .If i do get rid i would probably get another as really like the vehicle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

get an IVI engine, Estimas are still worth money, even 15 year olds make good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Thanks for the reply besides the thing losing coolant it runs great and has loads of room.If the head or the block was cracked would it not have other symptoms .There is no white smoke from exhaust on start up even if it is not started for a few days it still starts perfect.There is no gunk in the oil and it runs very smoothly.Is there a test that can be done to find out one way or the other if the engine is knackered that wont cost a fortune?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It could be as simple as a coolant leak somewhere. Take it to a mechanic you trust, and get it checked out. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I guess it was a simple leak somewhere, pinhole somewhere in a pipe etc. If it was something bigger you'd have other problems like you've said. Thats my guess, I'm not a mechanic so I could be completely wrong.

Advertisement