Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb - Metro (Covering all of Dublin)

Options
  • 06-10-2006 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I was wondering about getting Digiweb to replace my Eircom BB. They have better speeds, etc.. Got a few Q's:

1. They say that it covers "Dublin", will that cover Rush? (Fingal, Dublin (Near Swords))
    2. Have you any quarrls with Digiweb, and if so why?
    3. Are Digiweb relyable?
    4. Any other info?
    5. Do you live in Rush, if so, do you have Digiweb? (Not Wireless)

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 obrienb

Is the digiweb metro Wi-Max technology? Just wondering because I know that the have a Wi-Max licence from ComReg. I emailed Digiweb to ask but got no response...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

nope, its DOCSIS and runs at a much higher frequency than WIMAX will.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There isn't really Wimax licences as such. More like licences to do particular services on particular frequencies. There are two kinds of Wimax. Fixed type designed really for outdoor aerial is more expensive and little advantage over cheaper established Fixed Wireless.

The Mobile version of Wimax is only getting released shortly / now. It is also more expensive than alternates and available only on some very specific bands that may not match the licences operators have. Don't expect to see much of either wimax anytime soon here except maybe tests and trials, some promoted by Intel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Deaddude wrote:
    Hey all,

I was wondering about getting Digiweb to replace my Eircom BB. They have better speeds, etc.. Got a few Q's:

1. They say that it covers "Dublin", will that cover Rush? (Fingal, Dublin (Near Swords))
    2. Have you any quarrls with Digiweb, and if so why?
    3. Are Digiweb relyable?
    4. Any other info?
    5. Do you live in Rush, if so, do you have Digiweb? (Not Wireless)

Thanks alot.

In an attempt to try to keep this thread on topic,

You're best to call them regarding coverage. I'd say Rush is unlikely. It's wireless so you can expect packet loss and other interesting behaviour from time to time. Digiweb and other providers do ADSL reselling and are cheaper than eircom. The cheapest would be BT Ireland with very competitive line-rental inclusive deals but their billing dept is notorious for its uselessness so you can experience billing problems with them, eg random amounts will be taken from your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Blaster99 wrote:
    BT Ireland .... their billing dept is notorious for its uselessness so you can experience billing problems with them, eg random amounts will be taken from your account.
    In fairness, the "billing problems" that BT are notorious do not usually involve "random amounts being taken from your account". The billing problems that people have reported have involved not being billed at all (and then getting a large bill for everything, all at once), being billed after the service was cancelled, and being billed for services that you didn't think you should be.

Having said that, it's worth pointing out that many people haven't had any problems with BTs billing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

My friend has Digiweb Metro and says its very good, I asked him if he had any problems with slow speeds or if he ever had a drop in service and he said no that he was very impressed with it . If I could get it I would but im 5 miles short of the mast !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Foxwood wrote:
    In fairness, the "billing problems" that BT are notorious do not usually involve "random amounts being taken from your account". The billing problems that people have reported have involved not being billed at all (and then getting a large bill for everything, all at once), being billed after the service was cancelled, and being billed for services that you didn't think you should be.

Having said that, it's worth pointing out that many people haven't had any problems with BTs billing.

I'm sorry. I should really have outlined all the different possible variations of billing problems, analysed previous Boards posts on the matter, and ranked them in order of likelihood. Or we could try to not nit-pick endlessly and get the gist of the post.

Anyhow, enough of this gibberish, back to Digiweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Blaster99 wrote:
    I'm sorry. I should really have outlined all the different possible variations of billing problems, analysed previous Boards posts on the matter, and ranked them in order of likelihood.
    Well, as you seem to be of the opinion that there are lots and lots of people who've experienced billing problems with BT, maybe you should let them speak for themselves, rather than take on the burdensome task of getting your facts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Incredible thing has happened.

2 Years ago when I eventually got my Eircon BB, they would not change the database to make my line pass.

Now, it does, i checked it just yesterday! Im going to switch over to BT's plus package for €50 a month (including line rental).

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 obrienb

What is the wireless range of Digiweb Metro? Am I right in sayingt that LOS is not required?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

10-12km from the mast and LOS is a MUST

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I think the basestation in Swords is due to go live soon. Contact Digiwebs sales and they will know. It requires Line of sight and I think the range is around 13km

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Dellas wrote:
    My friend has Digiweb Metro and says its very good, I asked him if he had any problems with slow speeds or if he ever had a drop in service and he said no that he was very impressed with it . If I could get it I would but im 5 miles short of the mast !!!!

What does youre friend use his BB for? This has a lot to do with how good yer BB can seem to perform. Im in Crappy IBB and while I get good speeds I cant game for sh1t and VIOP aint great, Ive got cronic packet loss for the last 3 months and they cant fix it. If i was just downloader and odd web surfer id think my BB was great. Does any one gere game on digi web wire less.

I rang Digi web back in august to see if it was out in D15. They told me 6-8 weeks so I rang back 6-8 weeks later and got told that it would be 6-8 weeks, I said that i was already told this 6-8 weeks earlier and the girl said they had a problem with setting up their hi site . Its not 4 weeks later and I havent heard any thing. It seems they are trying to cover more of Dublin and take a Bite of IBBs wireless customers. I think its gona be a big bite. Best bet is to ring em, very few companies actually pay email a lot of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need VERY clear LOS for 13km. VOIP (even with video, even with 3 people) is OK as is games. Some nights a couple of the lads are simultanously online gaming AND Skype VOIP to talk to the rest of the team. (I think 4 way Skype)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 theslug

I signed up over a week ago ... they say 2-3 weeks before installation ( not great). I'm in Stoneybatter. I signed up of 1mg initially .. will pay for a year and thus get free installation. As soon as they install, I'll upgrade and I'm told I can pay the extra in monthly direct debits. Will post more as stuff happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

Does anybody have experience with Digiweb metro around Applewood, Sandford Woods in Swords?! Are they any good?

Advertisement