Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sikhism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

http://www.irishsikhcouncil.com/

It seems like a very simple and monotheistic religion with some weird additions.
    The temple does dinner every sunday and the food is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

A few interesting videos here
    http://www.sikhifm.com/video_index.php

including an episode of Himalayas with Michael Palin where he visits the Sikh homeland......
    http://www.ekta1.com/video/sikhifm_michaelpalin.wmv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 harpreetsk

Hi

I am a Sikh. What sort of information are you looking for?

Thanks

Harpreet

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

Hello Harpreet,

I guess I was interested to hear how the Sikh way of life fits in with the Irish culture. The number of Sikhs is very small in Ireland, according to the Irish Sikh Council, so I was just interested to hear about 'a day in the life' of an Irish Sikh. Do you attend the Gurdwara in Dublin ?

Thanks for the reply,
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 harpreetsk

Hi John

I know its very late but I still managed to find some time to reply to your queries.

I thinks Sikhs fit very well into the Irish society.

There are two ways a person can fit in to the society. Either you do everything same as everyone else does or you do what you feel can help you contribute to the society.

Now if scale of judging wether I fit into Irish society includes things like "I only fit if I drink a loads of Guiness" may be I won't fit into that.

For fitting in a society you don't need to pickup things which are not giving any benefit to society. But on loads of other things I have picked up Irish culture.

e.g. I participate in voluntary activities, try to be part of Irish festivals and also try to involve other Irish people in sikh festivals etc.

I will give you a very brief idea on a Day in Sikh's life in Ireland:

"I wake up at 4AM. Meditate for 1 hour and then do my Nitnem (morning prayers). Then its the time as an other Irish family to get kids out of bed. Get them ready for school. Get ready for work etc.

I get stuck in M50 traffic as everyone else every day and then I am at work from 9 to 5:30 managing software development teams that write softwares for Irish healthboards and social services. So I learn a lot about the Irish society. The social issues, the ways to tackle them etc.

In the evening, some days I will join my colleagues for drinks (soft ones for me :) and then reach home fighting M50 traffic again.

So we have dinner, enjoy some time together and then get ready for the same next busy day.

So you see life is same.

The difference is over the weekends when we will devout our Sunday to community work and also go to Gurdwara to attend prayers.

Let me know if you have any specific questions..

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement