Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Match thread

• 06-10-2006 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

yes its gay but we all find ourselves drawn to it, the idea of playing ball vs legends makes us watch it......

Anyway match thread.

Cmon the celebs, robertson is a class player.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Whats the latest on Ralph Little? Still injured?

Really looking forward to this, even if Le Tiss isn't playing this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Mark Bosnich looks very fat these days.

Still, nice to see some footballers on tv who seem to give a crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The match last year was actually quite entertaining. The actual football match that is. Couldn't be arsed to watch the "reality2 part of it. The fights and the tackles were hilarious. And Dean Saunders pulling up with his hamstring!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Least we can cheer the underdogs today :(

kdjac

"The celebrity team of soapstars and actors will be stepping out in front of 52,000 fans at St James' Park to face a team who, between them have won 57 league titles, 60 cup competitions and 713 international caps!"

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Legends to win.
    Look at the line up they have.
    Fair enough they are 40 ish but the skill factor should be enough for them to win.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    "The celebrity team of soapstars and actors will be stepping out in front of 52,000 fans at St James' Park to face a team who, between them have won 57 league titles, 60 cup competitions and 713 international caps!"

:eek:

But the real statistic is how many beer-bellies, grey hairs and hip replacements do they have between them?

Haha, and how many tattoo's does Gazza now have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yet another non-contest. Great entertainment though.

Three match ban for Harvey?!?! What an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

Fair play to the celebs they played well

• Advertisement

Legends lived up to the name, and Harvey lived up to his reputation... a muppet. Anyone who can get into a confrontation with Dennis Irwin has serious issues.

What did Harvard get sent off for? Was he giving it a bit of lip I guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Two yellows and a lot of chat, some near-fisticuffs and a bad attitude.

It's shocking how portly many ex-pros become quite quickly.

Mike.

Pigman II wrote:
    What did Harvard get sent off for? Was he giving it a bit of lip I guess?

Couple of dirty tackles on Irwin (who was brilliant, especially going forward). Two yellow cards and off he went. Started gettin lippy on the sideline and went for Tony Coton. Led to a bit of a scuffle.

Nope, I think he'd already been booked but then he slid in on Irwin, nicked the ball but it was a stupid tackle. He'd been at it all night, got into a little confrontation with Colin Hendry as well.

Then as he was walking off he went for Tony Coton who was on the sidelines, and gave him a mouthful, threw a little headbutt at him (a pathetic one) and had to be restrained by a fair few people. I'll stick up clips later if I don't fall asleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

anybody care to actually say what the score was and what the lineup of the legends team was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2-0

Goram
    Winterburn Hendry(went off injured) Walker Irwin
    Waddle McCallister Batty Merson
    Rush Beardsley

Rush score a tapin from a McAllister free, Waddle turned inside from right wint and scored into bottom corner.

Watchable game but Celebs have 0 compsure in front of goal, most play ametuer football and should have done better when clean tru.

kdjac

2-0 - Rush and Waddle

Goram (Grobelaar)
    Irwin
    Winterburn
    Batty
    Hendry (Anderson)
    Walker
    Waddle (Barnes)
    Merson (Steven)
    McAllister
    Beardsley (Gascoigne)
    Rush

The celebs should prob be given an ex-pro striker next year then. Might level it up.

2-0 Legends.

Goram

--Irwin--Hendry---Walker--Winterburn--
    --Waddle--Batty--McAllister--Merson---

Rush--Beardsley

Hutton got the MOTM again, he had the right attitude but was average. Gazza was absolutely hilarious, winding up Harvey no end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rushie has hardly aged at all. Maybe Rafa should have signed him rather than Robbie! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Its farcical really. First mistake, some 'celebs' actually think they are celebrities. 2nd mistake, they put Gordon Taylor in charge of them. 3rd mistake, some 'legends' actually think they are legends. I could go on.

What I would like to see instead:

Real Celebrities, not some people who failed to make the grade as footballers have made it at something else nd now have a chip on their shoulder. Real Legends, not players that have just finished playing a few seasons ago (Hendry, Irwin), mix up the teams, do it for charity, forget the 'big brother' build ups, voting off etc, all that b**lix, excuse my French. And play the match as a friendly. Each year there are more fights than you would see in a professional match, I dont get it.

By the way, was Gazza drunk? He could hardly string a pass together and looked wobbly and laughing insanely, not that I watched it closely.

Scrap the current format anyway.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

redspider wrote:
    2nd mistake, they put Gordon Taylor

Who?

Yes and get rid of Gordon Taylor! Graham Taylor would do a much better job.

redspider wrote:
    Real Celebrities, not some people who failed to make the grade as footballers have made it at something else nd now have a chip on their shoulder. Real Legends, not players that have just finished playing a few seasons ago (Hendry, Irwin), mix up the teams, do it for charity, forget the 'big brother' build ups, voting off etc, all that b**lix, excuse my French. And play the match as a friendly. Each year there are more fights than you would see in a professional match, I dont get it.

Right folks next year we're gonna have Victoria Beckham in goal with a back four of Richard & Judy (they know each other's game afterall), Ray Wilson (World Cup winner and aged 72) and George Cohen (World Cup winner and aged 67).

Tom Finney will play wide right (he's a legend and only 84). Get Sir Bobby Charlton (a young 69) in the middle of the park with Dale Winton (to add some steal) and have Graham Norton 'camped' on the left touchline.

Tom Cruise can provide the height up front with Colin Farrell (ex Castleknock Celtic superstar).

That the healthy mix you're on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

TheGooner wrote:
    Who?

who cares ....

yes, yes, Graham Taylor. I was gonna write 'turnip' and people would have known what I meant [legal: as it is alleged that he was described as one in an english red-top rag, I mean paper!]

The problem with Taylor is that he has lost all credibilty. He might do the odd bit of analysis now and 30 years ago he was considered a great team worker for the likes of Watford, but he shouldnt be near U-11's nor near a team of non-celebs. Can't he manage the 'legends' instead? I saw nothing in the programmes over the weeks to show that he had any credibility. Hats - what a farce, training in the mid-day sun in Spain after a night on the town = stupid!

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

redspider wrote:
    who cares ....

yes, yes, Graham Taylor. I was gonna write 'turnip' and people would have known what I meant [legal: as it is alleged that he was described as one in an english red-top rag, I mean paper!]

The problem with Taylor is that he has lost all credibilty. He might do the odd bit of analysis now and 30 years ago he was considered a great team worker for the likes of Watford, but he shouldnt be near U-11's nor near a team of non-celebs. Can't he manage the 'legends' instead? I saw nothing in the programmes over the weeks to show that he had any credibility. Hats - what a farce, training in the mid-day sun in Spain after a night on the town = stupid!

Redspider
    who knows, stan could replace him next year

Nah, Stan'll still be managing us next year.

Pigman II wrote:
    Nah, Stan'll still be managing us next year.
    god, that made me burst out laughing.:D i should`nt really

• Advertisement

Well that was the intention. :D

Still tho, stranger and things have happened. I watched a film about genocide in Rwanda today. It felt like Disney.

Pigman II wrote:
    Well that was the intention. :D

Still tho, stranger and things have happened. I watched a film about genocide in Rwanda today. It felt like Disney.

you`re killing me man:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

It was a bit of a bore in the end. The Harvey guy sickened me, apprently he played under age with Chelsea, he was the worst player on the field. I found it really funny how he was needlessly having a go at Denis Irwin all game, when Hendry hit him, he was very quick to shake hands and make up. All his mouthing was an attempt to cover up how bad he actually was.

As this gets more and more popular, the more "celebrities" will want to play in it. Which will lead to the bigger names being picked as opposed to the better players. Which ultimately will hand it on a plate to the celebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I watched the first half hour and kept flicking back and forth. Absolutely terrible match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

They never said why Sam "Stupid Hair" Robertson was taken off at half time. I know he's a bit of a dick but he played better than most of the others in the first half. He probably said something smart to Graham.

Advertisement