Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bough broke off chestnut tree

Options
  • 07-10-2006 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

We have a very large/old chestnut tree in front of the house, and a large bough broke off it during the heavy wind last week.

I've logged off as much of the broken limb as my 15" chainsaw can handle, but there's a very large chunk of timber left.
    There's about 10 feet of it approx. 3 feet in diameter, and another 12 feet or so approx. 2 feet in diameter.
    Does anyone use chestnut for anything other than firewood, and would a piece of timber like this be worth anything to anyone?

Just looking for options before I haul out the 24" saw :rolleyes:

On a related note, can/should I do anything with the gash on the side of the tree where the limb broke off?
    Should I tidy up with the chainsaw, endeavour to keep out fungus/rot, etc?
    Or is it best to leave well enough alone and let nature take its course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Personally, I'd leave it to dry out and burn it in the fire. Nothing like free heat - especially if you have a back boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Woodturners would certainly be interested. Chestnut's a lovely wood to turn. I'd take some off you myself, but I'm a bit far away.

You could try getting in touch with the local chapter of the Irish Woodturners Guild ...

http://www.irishwoodturnersguild.com

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Rovi wrote:
    On a related note, can/should I do anything with the gash on the side of the tree where the limb broke off?
    Should I tidy up with the chainsaw, endeavour to keep out fungus/rot, etc?
    Or is it best to leave well enough alone and let nature take its course?

Rovi, heres an article on pruning wind damaged trees which may be of some use to you.
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/articles/article2.html

Advertisement