Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My new career

• 07-10-2006 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

I started thinking about what I want to do with my life the other day...

I have no interest in anything but music, growing up I always wanted to be a DJ but that kind of passed but while I was discovering music I also found great pleasure in lights/visuals that sort of thing.

I have a few basic lights UV's ,Oil Lamps ,Strobes ,Chasers mainly for the after party, where some people can come to a party and play music all night I'd be just as happy creating a light show..

So this brings me to my question, What should I do to pursue this career is there any courses I can take / things to do?

I was thinking either Vj or lighting technician, I know Vj/lights is 50% art 50% timing, So Iv applied for a Graphic design course (fireworks) to see if that will help, But is there anything else I should be looking out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

So this brings me to my question, What should I do to pursue this career is there any courses I can take / things to do?

stop taking acid?

seriously thou...what do you want to do? You do know that Fireworks is software for graphic design? I don't see how it will help you get a job in lighting or visuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Crimson...

Acid you say :p

Well "FireWorks" Will give me some inside info how the graphic im projecting is made, And I'm thinking that will help me become better at the job... I haven't a clue hats why im asking

Im buyiing another light on Monday... Well I think anyway need to go down and have a look at it (mate told me about it) Its on offer its got 14 changeable gobos... I see boards is the wrong place to ask for help.. But oh well god loves a tryer, thanks for your time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

there is a decent sound and lighting company in waterford called Decibel Audio. If you're interested in getting into the industry then why not look them up and asking them what would be the best way to get involved....

If you can't find their phone number then i have it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Crimson...

Cheers for that... Just getting the phonebook out now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

being honest with you there isnt a huge market out the for light jocks and ones who have the jobs have tended to fall into it after starting off sound engineering / assistant engineering i cant really see a point in building up your own collection of lights as anywhere that has a need for them will have their own(like venues clubs etc) and they will either be on automatic or changed now and then by the sound engineer(in my experience) its only really very big venues that will have a dedicated person to do the lights live and they will more than likely follow the band and not the venue

vjing is a completely different kettle of fish and it seems to be blowing up at the moment i would say a much better investment than lights would be vjing equipment like a laptop a projector and software or if you have big money then the pioneer dvjs are the dogs bollox they just released the new model and they are much cheaper but do more than the originals from what i make out. even tho vjing is on the up ireland still isnt the place to do it i went to see eclectic method vjs in the ifsc (they use 4 dvjs and 2cdjs and 2 turntables if i remember correctly) and there was only about 10 ppl at the gig whereas in england they would be selling out big big venues

for vjing tho graphic design i dont think is the way to go a film course(recording editing etc) would be much more useful as 90% of the time you will be editing other peoples films/video to use ............to make your own slogans and stuff then a graphic design package might be of use but id say film knowledge is the main one

im waffling on a bit but basically its as hard if not harder to get into the light jock business(as more than a casual one night a week job anyway) but as vjing is a relatively new thing it could be the niche for you

im neither but i know people in both jobs amateur /professional so if you need more advice jsut ask
    of course i could be completley wrong and youll be the lighting director on the next robbie williams concert

• Advertisement
Advertisement