Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SAAB '93 help

Options
  • 07-10-2006 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Dunno if I'm in the right forum for this, but sure here we go...

I recently bought a 2003 Saab '93 1.8Turbo petrol, 2.0L 150bhp.
    Beautiful Car, left the BMW 318 standing, as far as I'm concerned.
    Anyway, the 'shark-fin' antenna was gone a bit '****ty' looking on the roof, so I asked the guy in the garage to do something with it.
    He painted it Black but now it looks even worse.
    I wanted to get a new replacement (don't mind paying) but I can't find them anywhere, even on the net (the garage would only scerw me).

As far as I can make out, the shark-fin aerial on the '93 is not actually used, its only used for gps navigation (if fitted)??
    I CAN find some GPS ones on the net, and I can find 'dummy' ones on the net - however I cannot find RADIO shark-fin antennas for the '93 on the net.
    Is this because it's not used for the radio?

I don't want to buy a dummy in case it actually IS used for radio reception, and I don't want to buy a GPS one -for the same reason.
    Is there any Saab Techie out there who could advise on this please?

many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The shark fin on the convertible is functional, dunno about the saloon, try a scrap yard for a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Did you get a price from the main dealer??? I wouldn't automatially assume they would screw you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Mr Security congrats on a class machine, whats it like on the juice and what colour did you go for. I could never understand why a prestige motor like the Saab or Volvo have a v v poor re-sale value after 2 or 3 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mr Security congrats on a class machine, whats it like on the juice and what colour did you go for. I could never understand why a prestige motor like the Saab or Volvo have a v v poor re-sale value after 2 or 3 yrs.

Mainly because General Motors have ruined the good name and heritedge of Saab in the last decade or so. Just take a look at the latest 9-5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

bazz26 wrote:
    Mainly because General Motors have ruined the good name and heritedge of Saab in the last decade or so. Just take a look at the latest 9-5.

forget about GM for a sec; they are just the money bags; and only supply the chassis for Saab to do with as they please.

Your comment on Saabs (the 9-5) is actually right on the money; THATS exactly what makes people buy them, and why everyone in a Saab has that weird smile on their face. Such a pity about the residuals.

If I had a need to change the car right now (Unfortunately I don't, and have a 6 year old car so I can abandon it in the railway station 'carpark') I'd be buying a 9-3 Vector. The vector the only spec to go for. I've seen 03's for €17k! thats a €45k+ car new. even low mileage ones for €21k

Looks, spec and trim is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Yes and north of the border or UK they can be picked up v v cheap even after that blasted vrt :mad: thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jmd

Go to www.saabclub.co.uk- from there you may find what you are looking for

Correction to my previous post, go to this website, lots of everything SAAB there. I have just visited it - http://www.247spares.co.uk/carparts/find-used-saab-93_5_dr_hatch-aerial_roof/

Good Luck

Go to this website, lots of everything SAAB there. I have just visited it - http://www.247spares.co.uk/carparts/find-used-saab-93_5_dr_hatch-aerial_roof/

Good Luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Hi folks,

I recently bought a 2003 Saab '93 1.8Turbo petrol, 2.0L 150bhp.

1.8Turbo petrol 2.0L a dual engined car perhaps?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

endplate wrote:
    1.8Turbo petrol 2.0L a dual engined car perhaps?:D

It actually is a 2.0L engine, but they've badged it as a 1.8t to distinguish it from the 2.0t 175bhp engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

1.8i, 122hp 1.8L
    1.8T 150hp 2.0L with lower compression turbo
    2.0T 175hp 2.0L with higher compression turbo

the most impressive thing is the almost complete lack of turbo lag.

Advertisement