Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyprus Vs Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

can anyone else hear crickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

and they got rid of their manager
    Yeah, but at least they replaced him with a better one, unlike us.

Good god, it's an utterly shameful and embarrassing game to watch. The management team should be sacked en masse on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

and they got rid of their manager

good call...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

mike65 wrote:
    Think of this period like this - a year ago Scotish football was on its knees.

Mike.

And a year ago they had a different manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

Maybe ireland are just a mediocre team?

Maybe this is our level?

Although you couldn't think that if we bagged Martin O'Neill we wouldn't be looking at that kind of performance tonight.

Is it true we had Martin O'Neill but couldn't meet his wage demands?

The Cypriots are a bunch of greasy ****s all the same, but they do play to their strengths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Comical, absolutely shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

This is a ****in joke, staunton is an absoloute clown, the FAI are completely out of their heads thinking Staunton was up to the job

1917: Jon Dahl Tomasson comes close to scoring for Denmark, heading inches wide. Meanwhile, in Cyprus the Republic of Ireland almost concede once again.

1914: Robbie Keane hooks the ball wide. Which side has had the more miserable Saturday - the Republic of Ireland or Wales?

1906: Can it get any worse for the Republic of Ireland? Yes. Richard Dunne is sent from the field after picking up a second yellow card.

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Im sure many of you will agree when I say that several of those "footballers" must never be allowed play for Ireland again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

i think I can speak for us all when I say

THANK JEEBUS THAT ITS ALL OVER

And to think we were 2/1 ON to win!

Stan needs to get his act together quickly and at least a point at home on Wednesday would be the way to do it.

Group runners up spot is not beyond us, but is going to be very difficult.

Let's hope Germany win all their remaining matches (except us at home) and we can put some wins together

* Slumped has left the building

S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The performance of the Irish team has been fúcking shíte tonight.

There are no two ways about that.

The manager has to take some blame, the players aswell.

Right, there were players out, but the majority playing tonight for Ireland play in the so-called "best league in the world". They should be doing better than this.

What's wrong?

Can the manager not get them motivated. Do the players not want to play for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The Cypriot President actually looked embarrassed for Mary McAleese there

seansouth wrote:
    Can the manager not get them motivated. Do the players not want to play for him?

He wasn't even at pitch-side, having been banned for acting like a f*cking baby during the last match.

Christ, I'm glad that's over.

I've never seen such a pathetic performance from Ireland.

Just goes to show,.. Staunton and his team were yet another woeful decision on the part of the FAI. Might as well get Dunphy to manage them next, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

nice to see our president there watching on with a goofy look on her face.

dont worry about it lads, all we need is to get the eye of the tiger back :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

zappb wrote:
    Maybe ireland are just a mediocre team?

Maybe this is our level?

A Mediocre team would be losing 5-2 to Brazil or something not Cyrus, a sh!t team loses 5-2 to cyprus. We're missing players, but the players out there are more then good enough to have at least given Cyprus a game, and realistically beaten them, but today cyprus were much much better. Its down to the players, but also the manager. Looks like they have no confidence in each other or the manager. What we need is a proper manager to come in, get a bit of spirit, get a bit of teamwork and some sort of awareness of tactics. Today there was obviously no plan, no tactics, nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

John Aldridge is on the verge of tears on TV3

CiaranC wrote:
    I feel more sorry for all the people who've bought John Aldridge's CD than I do for Aldo himself.

Pity it's not on RTÉ Two though, - would have loved to have seen Billo & Co. (particularly Eamon Dunphy) and their reaction to this ultra-piss-poor performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well speaking as a staunch Keane supporter I'd have McCarthy back in a shot rather than any Walsall waterboy.

I think I need to sit down now.

CiaranC wrote:

Should have given him a run, even in defence he'd have been better

• Advertisement

at least he seems to have more pride in the jersey than some of the players... anyone else think an injured given, harte and doyle would have played better than kenny, o'shea and morrison played tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The BBC sums it up
    1923: FULL-TIME Cyprus 5-2 Republic of Ireland
    A terrible afternoon for Steve Staunton and his men, who are humbled in Cyprus.

The Irish defence was opened up time and again by a side ranked 103rd in the world (one place below Estonia and one above Botswana). Back to the drawing board for Staunton if he is to turn around his team's Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

An injured Johhny Giles could have played better than O'Shea tonight - how is he still playing for both United and Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

To be truthful, I'm surprised at the scoreline but not the result. Steve Staunton does not know jack **** about management, he was given the job because no one else wanted it, the FAI don't give a toss one way or the other how the results go as long as they sign their lucrative sponsorship/television rights deals, the first step in saving Irish football is to fire everyone in the FAI and start fresh, they're still the same ****s in the job that were around in the Keane/McCarthy scandal. Ireland were embarrasing to watch tonight, why bother building this supposed 'Bertie bowl' national stadium or moving to Croke park for some home games, who the **** does the FAI think is going to turn up and watch a bunch of amateurs play International teams?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Call_me_al wrote:
    at least he seems to have more pride in the jersey than some of the players... anyone else think an injured given, harte and doyle would have played better than kenny, o'shea and morrison played tonight?

An injured me, you and joesoap would have been better than any of the irish players on that field tonight. They were abysmal!

O'Shea (in the eircom ad): "When you put the green jersey on, you feel ten feet tall"...

Riiiiiiighhhttt...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

No interviews theres a surprise, ***** should be dragged out and forced to give their views on the match.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Get rid of o'shea, kilbane, o'brien...disgrace.... crap!! and no pride in the jersey...

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

As far as I'm concerned the players, the FAI and the manager have to sit down and have a long think about the condition of Irish soccer. It's a joke. The team is a joke, the manager is a joke and the FAI are the biggest joke of all.

We didn't have a shot on target in the second half against CYPRUS. Not Germany or France. Cyprus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Bard wrote:
    O'Shea (in the eircom ad): "When you put the green jersey on, you feel ten feet tall"...

Riiiiiiighhhttt...

they might aswell have been ten feet tall for all the skill and talent they showed on the pitch, they looked like they wouldnt have been able to tell you their feet from their left elbows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Call_me_al wrote:

keane - one of the best strikers in the league - a perfect footballer according to moratti
    What ?
    Keane is useless ,the guy is grossly overated.
    I think this result shows how poor the quality of football is in the premiership outside the top 4 teams.
    Many of the Irish players dont even have the basic skills expected of a footballer.
    A first touch,control,ireland looked like donkeys.
    If I hear anymore of this bull**** of building for the future I'll explode.
    We have to try and finish as high as possible otherwise we will be in the 5th or 6th group of seedings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I thought it was gas that Brian Kerr knew the penalty was going low to the right but Paddy Kenny didnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Praetorian

"Fantastic performance by the boys, they gave everything and were unlucky. The heat and the dodgy pitch, lots of injuries and the fact that I wasn't on the bench meant it was a narrow loss" - Staunton. He's so dense I really wouldn't be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Good performance by Ireland . We're finally playing at a consistent level! And don't forget these guys are the (one hundredth and) third best team in the world.

(Isn't that the kinda bullshít I was reading here after that equally pathetic prologue performance against Germany last month?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if there isnt a huge improvement on wednesday then Staunton should be sacked. and why no ****ing post match interview :mad: someone needs to explain what the hell is going on :mad:

may have to record that charlton years thing just to make me feel better..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Praetorian wrote:
    "Fantastic performance by the boys, they gave everything and were unlucky. The heat and the dodgy pitch, lots of injuries and the fact that I wasn't on the bench meant it was a narrow loss" - Staunton. He's so dense I really wouldn't be surprised.

more likely to come out singing "my lovely horse" tbh

el rabitos wrote:
    Ah now, it's Dundalk he's from not Carrickmacross...

Massive difference and all that there is, hey... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

What manager would want to take over from Stan if Ireland lose again on Wednesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

CiaranC wrote:
    I thought it was gas that Brian Kerr knew the penalty was going low to the right but Paddy Kenny didnt.
    He said low to the keepers right, thats were Kenny dived, but it actually went to the keepers left.

Shame this isn't on RTE, we need someone to pull a few punches on this analysis.

well ronnie and aldridge defo wont say a word having played a lfc and ireland with staunton and holland played with him for ireland too - so they wont say what they're really thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

el rabitos wrote:

'My lovely Kilbane, running through the field
    Where are you going, with your fetlocks blowing in the wind?' :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Our team is nearly entirely made up of premiership players on an average of around 30k a week and cyprus has a team of mainly cypriot league players on a few k a week. Shocking. A top eircom league team would do better out there or an eircom league XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

that was a F*ckin disgrace, total & utter embarisment, The defense looked like they went to cypress on a holiday. Sickening, I dread to think what will happen Vs the CR.

Is Kenny really our second choice keeper, if so we need to look elsewhere.

2-2 half time was fair enough but second half, I feel sick. the pen was iffy alright but their fourth - 2 center backs standing at the edge of the box watching the world go by.

not good enough, & against cypress :mad: :( :eek: :( :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

John Aldridge just said ''it can only get better from now on''..... careful now John, I think this is just the beginning! :D

Too hilarious. It got to the stage where the whole pub was pissing themselves laughing at the end.

Beaten 5-2 by the same team who were beaten 6-0 by Slovakia..... hahahhaaaaaaaa!

If we were beaten 5-2 by Brazil or Italy it would have been a grade-A disaster but I can't even think of a word or category to describe this!

and to think 12 months ago our poor 1-0 win against Cyprus in the same stadium was a disaster.... jeeeesssshhhhhh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

An absolute disgrace and definately the worst performance I have ever seen for Ireland. Absolutely no passion or fight from the team at all, they should all be ashamed of themselves.

What the hell were they doing at their training camps, the defense look like they were playing blind mans bluff for the whole time, clueless muppets. The players do bear some of the responsibility but the man who should have ensured they were properly prepared was Staunton and he has proven he cannot manage a team. He should be removed and a proper manager put in his place.

Kenny - Showed why we have to ensure Given is in goal.
    Finnan - Good Player but as with all the defense was all over the place tonight and allowed the Cypriots to get behind him too easily.
    O'Shea - Should never play for Ireland again.
    Andrew O'Brien - Should never play for Ireland again.
    Dunne - Made mistakes but with a donkey like O'Brien playing beside who can fault him. Good goal and shouldn't have been sent off. Will be missed on Wednesday.
    Kilbane - Is past his sell by date as well.
    McGeady - One of the only bright sparks of the night. If the rest of the team can get organised he will be providing the ammunition.
    Ireland - Again decent enough player and one of the future, took the goal well but missed and experienced head in midfield to play beside.
    Morrison - Not alone should he never play for Ireland again he should never play football again fullstop.
    Keane - Another useless performance from Robby. Far too many of these in the Irish Jersey. Dunne should be made Captain.
    Duff - His crosses made the goals and again with a properly organised team to play with he will provide the ammo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Oh and I should have said Fair play to Cyprus they deserved the win and worked hard for it especially after the drubbing they got in their last match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Another report holding back little emotion:
    Staunton's world crumbles
    07/10/2006 - 19:34:03

Steve Staunton’s brave new world crumbled under the weight of abject humiliation as the Ireland suffers one of the worst defeats in history.

Cyprus 5 Republic of Ireland 2

Any hope Staunton and Ireland had of qualifying for the Euro 2008 finals has now been shot to pieces after just two games, and in particular on the back of this shambolic showing.

Not only did they concede five goals to a Cypriot team ranked 60 places below them in the FIFA world rankings, but to add to their night of unbridled misery, Richard Dunne was dismissed late on.

Heaven knows where Staunton goes from here taking into account he was without the likes of Shay Given, Steven Reid, Graham Kavanagh, Stephen Carr and Kevin Doyle, this was a game Ireland should still not have lost by such an embarrassing margin.

Serving a one-match touchline ban following his dismissal from the dugout in the 1-0 defeat against Germany in Stuttgart at the start of last month, Staunton must have watched in agony throughout.

Mistake followed mistake, with the first in the fifth minute from Liverpool right-back Steve Finnan, who lost the ball midway inside his own half to Michalis Konstantinou.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/10/07/story280043.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Stan and the team deserve a right bollocking from the media and should give the fans some answers ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ruu wrote:
    give the fans some answers ffs.
    We got our answers tonight Ruu.

Five of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

OMFG. I just woke up and found out what happened.

I'm going back to sleep. I'm glad I didn't get to see the match now.

God help us against the Czechs.

Advertisement