Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyprus Vs Ireland

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

once in my life hjave i ever walked out of a pub. that was tonight. i left my mates and my girlfriend over there and jsut left. think i even had some of me pint left.
    stan: GET THE BOAT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

Alright these are our fixtures now

Republic Of Ireland Vs. Czech Republic : 11/10/06
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. San Marino: 15/11/06
    San Marino Vs. Republic Of Ireland: 07/02/07
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. Wales: 24/03/07
    Slovakia Vs. Republic Of Ireland: 08/09/07
    Czech Republic Vs. Republic Of Ireland: 12/09/07
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. Germany: 13/10/07
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. Cyprus: 17/10/07
    Wales Vs. Republic Of Ireland: 17/11/07

So we have 9 matches left to turn this around, including 2 against our main Rivals, The Czech Republic.

We have to remember that we still have at least 4 matches that we should win with ease, even with the team we put out today, which was Abyssmal. As we all know alot of our decent players are out injured, Given, Doyle,Etc.
    as these players come back to the team, the ****e like John O' Shea and Andy O' Brien can be filtered out which will provide us with better play.

Our one must return from injury is Shay Given, Paddy Kenny is like a wild useless gorrilla between the posts, actually a gorilla would probably play better. He rushs from his line and doesn't compete for the ball, so he's pretty useless.

But aside from the injuries which will be fixed over time, The irish squad also has Managerial Problems, Steve Staunton should never have been put into this position, he has no clue about the squad that should be run and such, Players like O'Shea should never make the bench, let alone the field.

He also has to learn to play players like Mcgeady and Ireland more often, They are the future of irish football, so they should be at least given a chance to give it a try.

Well thats my two cents guys. our performance today was a shambles, but theres no reason to look for Stans head or to think Irish Football is damned, every country goes through bad spells, it'll pass

-Stephen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

My predictions ::

Republic Of Ireland Vs. Czech Republic : 11/10/06 ---- 0 - 5
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. San Marino: 15/11/06 ---- 1 - 0
    San Marino Vs. Republic Of Ireland: 07/02/07 ---- 1 - 1
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. Wales: 24/03/07 ---- 1 - 2
    Slovakia Vs. Republic Of Ireland: 08/09/07 ---- 4 - 1
    Czech Republic Vs. Republic Of Ireland: 12/09/07 ---- 4 - 1
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. Germany: 13/10/07 ---- 0 - 1
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. Cyprus: 17/10/07 ---- 1 - 0
    Wales Vs. Republic Of Ireland: 17/11/07 ---- 1 - 0

And thats if stan stays in charge....subject to change upon another scapegoat getting put in charge of our team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I predict we may also have a home game v Slovakia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

My predictions ::

Republic Of Ireland Vs. Czech Republic : 11/10/06 ---- 0 - 5
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. San Marino: 15/11/06 ---- 1 - 0
    San Marino Vs. Republic Of Ireland: 07/02/07 ---- 1 - 1
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. Wales: 24/03/07 ---- 1 - 2
    Slovakia Vs. Republic Of Ireland: 08/09/07 ---- 4 - 1
    Czech Republic Vs. Republic Of Ireland: 12/09/07 ---- 4 - 1
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. Germany: 13/10/07 ---- 0 - 1
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. Cyprus: 17/10/07 ---- 1 - 0
    Wales Vs. Republic Of Ireland: 17/11/07 ---- 1 - 0

And thats if stan stays in charge....subject to change upon another scapegoat getting put in charge of our team.

If Staunton is still in charge for all those games, I will stop going to Irish football at both club and country level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

My predictions are as follows

Republic Of Ireland Vs. Czech Republic : Loss
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. San Marino: Win
    San Marino Vs. Republic Of Ireland: Win
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. Wales: Draw
    Slovakia Vs. Republic Of Ireland: Draw
    Czech Republic Vs. Republic Of Ireland: Loss
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. Germany: Draw
    Republic Of Ireland Vs. Cyprus: Win
    Wales Vs. Republic Of Ireland: Draw
    Republic of Ireland Vs. Slovakia: Draw

So I reckon we should end up with 14 points, don't know if that's good enough, but the Ireland team (i.e. Given) should be back for the San Marino games right?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Pigman II wrote:
    I predict we may also have a home game v Slovakia.

i think UEFA/FIFA might save us the embarrassment, there'd be nobody at the game anyways

i think UEFA/FIFA might save us the embarrassment, there'd be nobody at the game anyways

I know we should always look to the positives after a performance like tonights , but that's really just too much to hope for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Jaysus boys in mens jerseys

That had to be the most inept performance effer and I watch them play liechestein

They were like headless chickens no cohersion ok its 2 games in but we need to restore some pride

I will be in the East Stand on Wednesday for my block booking sins

Also might apply for This Job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Stan: "Lets play 4 attacking midfielders, and let these guys run at our defense all night"
    Dougal: "Thats a brillaint plan Stan"

The point that Stan missed here is that the only decent players Cyprus have, is their 2 front men, who play for Olympiakos in the Champions League. All you have to do against Cyprus is to stop those two, and then the game should be pretty easy.

Oh and not taking Lee Carsley was another good plan. Don't call up the one player that woulda given some cover to the defense from midfield.

Stans tactics cost us the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Bateman wrote:
    If Staunton is still in charge for all those games, I will stop going to Irish football at both club and country level.

What have our club sides done to deserve that? Its not as if Staunton's been trawling the league looking for players...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone catch the morning papers yet? Some gems of derision. Paddy Kenny likened to a flying pig except "when getting off his line" etc.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Praetorian

No matter what the outcome next week. Staunton should go. He's so utterly incompetent it's almost inconcievable. He's got a group of players that should be capable of 2nd or 3rd place in the group, but we're heading for the 2nd last alongside San Marino; but even they might fancy their chances now :(

I really wish I didn't care so much... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Sorry if this is repeating what other people have said but I don't really feel like reading through sixteen pages on such a humiliation so I'll just give my thoughts.

It was the worst performances I have ever seen from an Irish team. Cyprus were actually very unlucky only to score 5, 8 or 9 would have been a fair result.

What was worst was that we were so all over the palce. No shape, no formation, no positional awareness, no awareness of where anyone else was. It was like watching trials for an under 12s team. What it painfully showed up is that no work, no work whatsoever, had been properly done on the training ground. The players looked like they'd done no work together and hadn't practiced anything. Getting back to level terms by the break was a big let off - we'd been terrible but got ourselves back into it. What was needed was for McDonald to say calm down, get some chape, look for each other and pick out your passes. We just played an ineffectual long ball the entire match and that's not good enough. But then things were even worse second half with all the first's mistakes repeated.

A real disgrace. You could see how upset Whelan and Aldo were at the end - they were probably very broken up about the situation for their friend Stan and could only blame the players when it's obvious the problem was the training as much as the players.

Delaney should resign. It was his decision to go after Staunton and after such a ridiculously poor decision he shoudl carry the can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

It basically proves that Ireland is essentially Shay Given. If hes gone, we`re gone. Ive no doubt we wouldve held them to 2-0 or 2-1 at very most. Surely Kenny isnt the best eligible back up for Given?

The Czechs will slaughter us come Wednesday. By this stage I almost wouldnt be suprised at a goaless draw with San Marino (and if Given is out again I wouldnt declare a 1-0 win for SM or a 1-1 draw an impossibility, particularly in a penalty scenario)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Tha Gopher wrote:
    It basically proves that Ireland is essentially Shay Given. If hes gone, we`re gone. Ive no doubt we wouldve held them to 2-0 or 2-1 at very most. Surely Kenny isnt the best eligible back up for Given?

Didn't watch the game but I can't see can't believe that Shay Given would have made 4 or 5 goals difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I'd actually be a little surprised if the Czechs beat us on Wednesday, though I know that sounds crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I think he would have made a big difference. The defence was shakky for a reason, he would have calmed that down. Plus Shay makes about 3 goal defying saves per match, i think Kenny might have made one.

Andrew 83 wrote:
    I'd actually be a little surprised if the Czechs beat us on Wednesday, though I know that sounds crazy.

Not really. I could see us playing for a draw and getting it. I hope we don't tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Didn't watch the game but I can't see can't believe that Shay Given would have made 4 or 5 goals difference!

Sorry, tell me again how you can comment on this without having seen the game?

4 of the goals were down to blatent defensive blunders/keeper error.

If shay had being playing he would have saved the one that put them 2-1 up and it would have been an entirely different game at half-time.

Also He would have ripped lumps out of his defence for leaving him so exposed. They would have worked harder for Shay, Paddy Kenny didn't communicate at all with the defenders.

It's not all Paddy Kenny's Fault (not even close), Stan should have worked very hard on his defensive unit in training, but probably thought that since they were the most experienced they needed least work.
    Plenty of teams have had trouble defensively after loosing there best keeper, Stan should have known that and put steps in place to minimise the damage.

His biggest blunder though in my opinion was the ommision of Carsley, after carsley made it very obvious he would like to be called up.

That will probably loose him his job, plus kicking the bottle in Germany, meant he couldn't be on the sideline to help sort things out. All his own fault!

OUT Stan! you were never the man for the job, NEVER.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Anyone think Kevin Nolan still wants a call up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

evilhomer wrote:

OUT Stan! you were never the man for the job, NEVER.

Makes Brian Kerr's reign seem brilliant...see this is where I have a problem. Under Kerr, we were medicore and, after he was sacked, it was believed that the FAI would appoint a manager to take us to the next "level", to get Ireland back into major championsips.

After the win against Sweden most fans were praising the appointment as a step up from the Kerr regime. Four games later and everyone wants him out. Yes the performance last night was despicable and embarrassing but who do you suggest Ireland replace him with? Bettter yet, who would want the job?

Give him a chance (at least) to get it right. The Czech game will be more than a tester, especially with so many players out. Two competitive games is not enough justificaiton to sack somebody. Is Stan to blame for the lack of passion and desire shown last night? These are Premiership players ffs making elementary, schoolboy errors. The players have to take an equal share of the blame. (or maybe the walkie talkies from the stand to the dugout weren't working!)

After the win against Sweden most fans were praising the appointment as a masterstroke.

None I spoke to after the game were. None at all. There was genuine optimism, but in fairness, I and a lot of thers were still optimistic at 5pm yesterday. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

mate of mine had such little confidence in the team, he backed cyprus to win and made €120 out of it. we laughed at him before the game when he said, worried and all as we were about it, we still didnt expect to loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Bateman wrote:
    None I spoke to after the game were. None at all. There was genuine optimism, but in fairness, I and a lot of thers were still optimistic at 5pm yesterday. :(

Ok maybe that was a bit exaggerated, but undoubtedly he couldn't've had a better start and it did seem like the team had moved on from the Kerr era.

Ok maybe that was a bit exaggerated, but undoubtedly he couldn't've had a better start and it did seem like the team had moved on from the Kerr era.

Fair enough, but if there was one thing that the Kerr era taught us (or in the case of some, SHOULD have taught us) was that friendlies matter for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Give him a chance (at least) to get it right. The Czech game will be more than a tester, especially with so many players out. Two competitive games is not enough justificaiton to sack somebody. Is Stan to blame for the lack of passion and desire shown last night?

I agree with you, but loosing those two games has all but ended our chances of qualifying for the tournament. The margin for error was always going to be very slim, and i think we have used up all our chances. Another loss on Wednesday and we are finished.

I would lay the lack of passion not only at the player’s feet but also at Stans. It is his job to motivate the players into wanting to win (rousing speeches, threats, throwing tea cups etc.), yet he failed to instil this in his players. Now, I realise that the players should naturally have this desire, but if they don't is it simply because they aren't bothered to play for their country or they are earning too much money at their clubs? Maybe, but I'd think it more likely they are not inspired by the manager. I look back to one of the more memorable finals in football: Liverpool V AC Milan - a halftime talk and some very wise tactical decisions and there you go, Liverpool pull it out of the bag. It seems to me that Stan is not capable of motivating his players or making the correct decisions. Prove me wrong, Stan. Roll on Wednesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Anyone know where to get video of the goals, I missed the game and want to see just how bad it actually was.
    Nothing on youtube.

• Advertisement

I have the game on DVD, but I know nothing about how I would go about uploading it to the net.

Pigman II wrote:

Once again hilarious, but serioulsy is there anything out there.
    Or is it cos it was on TV 3 no one actually watched it !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Not much point in commenting about this game. What a disaster. Does that go down as Ireland's worst EVER result in the modern era? Aren't Cyprus ranked 104 or something?

Some poor performances and some stupid errors. Many players made mistakes. O'Brien (x2), Kenny, Ireland. The midfield were poor, Killbane and Ireland. The wide players were the only ones that got some praise, but McGeady didnt do much defending in my opinion, and Duffer only woke up leadership wise when we were 4-2 down and it was too late. Robbie and Morrison were pretty much lack-lustre in making runs. Finnan didnt have one of his better games, not O'Shea. So, more or less everybody, but definitely some more than others.

On paper, with the same players available, many of us would have put out a similar team. People talk about Carsley but if he was in, would he have made a significant difference. The left side triangle of O'Shea, McGeady and Ireland for me didnt do enough defensively. Ireland didnt respect Cyprus either and players fell into the trap of looking at it on paper. Probably the worst thing that could have happened was Ireland scoring so early.

Overall, I blame the players much more than Staunton. I think the players and Steve know it as well. The meedya will be calling for the head of Staunton, but that wouldnt do any good.

Ireland will be doing well now to finish 4th in this group, and we sacked Kerr for that in a very tight situation. Perhaps the devil we knew in that case was better.

Slovakia, Germany, Czech R, it is a tough group it has to be said. Qualification was never really on which is why the FAI and Stanton have been saying all along that its a 4 year plan. However, 3rd was possible, but Slovakia seem to be hot at the moment.

Everyone needs to bit into the new reality, we are in a slump and we all have to work to try to get out of it. We start by treating all opposition with respect. I hope that San Marino get that. Imagine a 0-0 draw against them or something ........ jaysus.

Irish international football has taken a momentus step backwards.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Cant read the whole thread so probably all this has already been said.

Andy O'Brien was individually responsible for 3 out of the 5 goals. the other goal was down too crap goalkeeping and the 5th goal was a result of hesitancy by the goalie again adn also down to the fact that Ireland had only 1 centre back.

Do Ireland have a midfield. If he doesnt revert to a 5 man midfield this will not be the last embarrasment for us.

Did Stan ever win a match as Walsall Youth Team assistant manager?

Theres still a decent squad there but when you keep subbing your best players your players wont be long going down in confidence.

Did any1 notice how Duff was subbed against Germany when he was probably Ireland's most dangerous player? And, did any1 notice that McGeady was subbed last night when he was probably the best performer on the pitch, definitely Ireland's best player?

Their confidence must be at an all time low. Play to their best and subbed first. Calamity O'Brien should have swiped off after 1st goal. Oh hold on a minute we have no centre backs on the bench as the Irish managment team have boycotted the Eircom league.

Once again hilarious, but serioulsy is there anything out there.
    Or is it cos it was on TV 3 no one actually watched it !!!!!

You can get most of it here (ff to around 13mins)
    http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/9news.smil

tho I still think it would have got the mood of the game across better if they had presented it like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IICoRMdaLVs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

redspider wrote:
    On paper, with the same players available, many of us would have put out a similar team. People talk about Carsley but if he was in, would he have made a significant difference.
    I certainly think he'd have made a huge difference. I go on about it all the time but in this day and age someone sitting in front of the back four is vital. I'm not just coming out with it after the match (probably blowing my own trumpet but how and ever):
    http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=547729&postcount=84

He turned down Carsley when he wanted a callup. He left Douglas on the bench when he was the only holding midfielder in the squad. Finnan had the ball midway through the 2nd half and had to wait a good few seconds before Kilbane came rushing back at full speed to collect the ball. Kilbane should have been in a position to collect the ball at all times but he has no positional sense and no football brain. He's a decent man marker but that's about it.

Robson mustn't have any input on things if he allowed Stan to field that lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,122 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

eirebhoy wrote:
    Robson mustn't have any input on things if he allowed Stan to field that lineup.

Robby Bobson is recovering from a stroke - I doubt he had much input beyond a short phonecall to wish Stan good luck.

Here's a question - suppose the FAI had appointed Robson as manager, with Stan as his assistant, and Robson had then had a stroke. Do you think they would've let Stan, with no managerial experience, take sole charge for these matches. No they wouldn't! They would've found another experienced man to take the helm temporarily.

But because they actually made Stan the manager and Robson the assistant they couldn't do this as it would've demonstrated a lack of confidence in Stan. This shambles is the FAI's fault and if Stan goes, John Delaney should fall on his sword as well.

As for the Czech match - I expect a backs to the wall performance, and a narrow defeat that Stan will claim as an improvement.

Advertisement