Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to move to NYC need advise on jobs

Options
  • 07-10-2006 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi, i'm hoping to move over to NYC next year after i finish my last exam to be a qualified financial advisor and i'm just wondering if there are much options career wise that i could get into and make my QFA useful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

I know squat about QFAs or what your career options are here, but I do know what it's like to be looking for a job in New York. I wrote a long, rambling blog entry about my first year here that pretty much covers my ups and downs. Everybody told me it would take about a year to get sorted fully. I didn't believe them, but they were right. Here's the paragraph that best encapsulates my hard won wisdom:
    So, the people who told me it takes a year were about right. It’s really only in the last couple of months that I’ve felt I’ve gained some kind of toehold, and even that’s still pretty tenuous. I have a theory about why it takes as long as it does – New York is kind of like a big chamber, with lots of particles flying about, winking in and out of existence. There are three kinds of particles: employed people, unemployed people, and vacant jobs. As they whizz about, random connections are made and broken; unemployed people connect with employed people, and employed people connect with vacant jobs. A chain has to be forged between an unemployed person and a job that suits them, but it all moves so fast that this actually happens pretty rarely. Sometimes a link is made, but the job is short term, or doesn’t pay enough, or it’s just a bad match. All you can do is keep meeting people, as many as possible, and stay in touch with them, and hope that a good connection is made before it’s too late. And it generally takes about a year for this to happen. Statistics and probability.

Of course, I'm not really qualified to do anything so my situation is pretty different. This is probably quite useless to you. I apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 chrisc

Do you have any contacts over in NY? If I were you, I'd probably check with them to see if they have connections. Or even just pick up a job that doesn't have to do with the QFA until you are able to find one - even if it's a job in service or whatever, in NY you need to have a job if you're living in the city. It's sooo expensive otherwise.

Advertisement