Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will insurance cover new oil burner?

Options
  • 07-10-2006 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Ball cock got stuck in attic with the result that the water tank ran empty. This caused the oil boiler to run empty and it burst :eek: .
    Need a new boiler costing approx €1400 inc labor.
    Would this be covered by house insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Depends on the conditions of your insurance policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I'm in work so I haven't checked it - but generally speaking, would a bog standard policy cover this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Pretty sure your covered, as it as the direct result of "accidental damage"

Now would be a good time to fit a Grant condensing oil boiler!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Do-more wrote:
    Now would be a good time to fit a Grant condensing oil boiler!
    or a wood pellet one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

BigCon wrote:
    Ball cock got stuck in attic with the result that the water tank ran empty. This caused the oil boiler to run empty and it burst :eek: .
    Need a new boiler costing approx €1400 inc labor.
    Would this be covered by house insurance?
    I wouldn't say this to the insurance company, but it is very unlikely, that the header tank running dry caused the oil boiler to burst. Unless you had major leaks in the system, it would take about a year or more for this to affect the boiler. All the upstairs rads and the hot water (if the cylinder is upstairs) would have stopped heating months ago.
    Even if you have a bungalow, you would almost certainly have had problems with the water not heating and air in the rads before the boiler would burst. You would have heard a lot of air rushing around the system. If the boiler is around 20 years old, it just gave out - that's what they do, usually between 20 and 30 years. If this is the case, they will call it normal wear and tear. Another scenario would be, if you have pipes running underground from an outside boiler-house to the house. If these burst, then this could drain the boiler and cause it to burst.
    Sorry to sound pessimistic.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

1400 seems very steep? There's not much to fitting them if all the plumbing is in place already.. flow & return and a power lead. bleed the oil feed & water feed and it's up & running. I'd advise get a burner and fit yourself..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

stifz wrote:
    1400 seems very steep? There's not much to fitting them if all the plumbing is in place already.. flow & return and a power lead. bleed the oil feed & water feed and it's up & running. I'd advise get a burner and fit yourself..
    I think €1400 is quite reasonable for supplying and fitting an oil boiler. I know 2 companies charging between €2000 and €2500 for fitting boiler and burner.

Advertisement