Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Extension - Rear of House

Options
  • 07-10-2006 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all

I've just discovered this forum. I wanted a quick bit of advice on two things.

First, we need to lower the gradient of our roof for a number of reasons. We'd like slate tiles but have been advised that we can't have slates unless we have a 25 degree slope. It's a mono pitch roof. We are likely to have an 18 degree pitch. Is that too shallow or might we get away with it?

Second, Velux do some flat roof windows. If we had to go to a lower gradient, are these any good? I've heard rumours that they can leak. If so, does anyone know of a good design of window on a roof with a gradient of around 18 degrees?

BTW, if anyone's interested, I decided to put a little page up describing what we're doing on the extension which, once finished, might be useful to people who are thinking of doing something similar. Take a look if you're interested.

http://www.mjschumacher.com/Site/Welcome.html

Thanks in advance.

Comments

One possible option is to have a dual pitch roof with the ridge going from front to back and the roof sloping down left and right, this should give you a steeper pitch and avoid the problems associated with a too low pitch, downside of this is additional cost of the roof and extra leadwork against the house (will it fit under the windows) and the neighbours' extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi Schuey,

You could check out rooflights.ie for dome lights,or domesandrooflightservices.com/ which also do dome but they also do flushglaze which is flat glass which will work on flat roof (pretty expensive though) one board member was saying they knew of someone who had them couriered from the uk!!
    These would eliminate the need for upstands,,,
    a few builders we've talked to have told us they wouldn't really recommend the velux with the upstands for the reasons that you've stated, (but this is all this 3rd hand info of course!!).

Were also in the middle of a design stage.. there are a few ways to achieve that pitch for the roof as dolanbaker suggested.
    Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Oh yeah your website is broke,

Advertisement