Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trying to get 4 yo sticky film off my number plate

Options
  • 07-10-2006 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,703 ✭✭✭✭

Guys doing a repeat NCT on Tuesday, but have small problem, there is a blue sticky film on the number plates that I need to get off before I get it tested (they told me the first time that I would need to take it off) but as its been on 4 over 4 years it seems to have stuck hard on the number plate, I've tried heating it with a hairdryer and putting it in boiling water to loosen the film but no joy, just wondering have any of you guys any recommendations.

Thanks

Snake ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

isopropanol cleaning fluid?

Probably easiest, fastest solution would be to bite the bullet and get another set made up. They are getting very sticky :D regarding number plates, euro Irl sticker on LHS and county of reg in Gaeilge on top etc. They might come off when you are trying to remove the blue film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I wouldn't expect number plates to be expensive, knock into a motorfactors or similar, get a new plate put together. Ten minutes, probaly only 20 quid or something.

Why on earth do you have a blue film on your numberplates?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

saobh_ie wrote:
    I wouldn't expect number plates to be expensive, knock into a motorfactors or similar, get a new plate put together. Ten minutes, probaly only 20 quid or something.

Why on earth do you have a blue film on your numberplates?

Yes, I bought a front number plate recently from my local motor factors for €10. Hardly breaking the bank and it only took them 5 mins to make it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

halfords have them saw a bloke making them up in Coolock , 18 euro for a two . dont know about fitting so check i think they were drilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I suspect that the 'blue film' is the original plastic that comes with the plate when new. Some motorfactors don't remove this film (laziness, stupidity?) before they hand you the plates.

If your going to replace the plate, it's always better to replace both at the same time. Otherwise people might think the car was in a crash when it comes to sale time.

I would strongly suggest that you buy a pair of embossed metal plates (the best on the market i.e. they don't fall apart.......and no blue film comes with them;))

Windsor Garages (e.g. Belgard Rd, Tallaght) make them up for €20 in c.5 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Silvera wrote:
    I suspect that the 'blue film' is the original plastic that comes with the plate when new. Some motorfactors don't remove this film (laziness, stupidity?) before they hand you the plates.
    The blue film is there to protect the surface of the plate during manufacture and when the motor factor is putting it together.
    Many garages (and private individuals) like to leave it there until the last possible moment, just before it's fitted to the car, for exactly the same reason.

Advertisement