Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Attitudes to taxi drivers?

Options
  • 07-10-2006 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if the illegal blockade of O'Connell St.,etc, has affected the attitude of regular road users towards taxis? In short, are people less inclined to behave courteously towards taxis and let them in when changing lanes, at junctions, etc?

I have no time for them on the roads now, don't let them pull out,etc, even though the vast majority were not involved in the protest. Are there any taxi drivers here who have noticed a difference in the attitude of other road users?

It was probably not considered by them at the time that they would have to share the highways and byways daily with the people they were blocking.

Apologies if this aspect of taxi thing was discussed before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

wyndham wrote:
    are people less inclined to behave courteously towards taxis and let them in when changing lanes, at junctions, etc?

My attitude hasn't changed a bit as I have always returned the courtesy shown to me by taxi drivers in kind.

i.e. never let them in! :D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Do-more wrote:
    My attitude hasn't changed a bit as I have always returned the courtesy shown to me by taxi drivers in kind.

i.e. never let them in! :D

Have to agree with this. Alot of the taxi drivers on the road go round changing lanes without indicators and the like, driving round like they own the road. This, of course, is just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 White Van Man

Courtesy to other road users isn't a concept they're familiar with.

I return the favour and wouldn't give any of them an inch on the road. :cool:

*** Warning: Next time I need to edit one of your posts, I will throw in a ban also!
    KB

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

wyndham wrote:
    I have no time for them on the roads now, don't let them pull out,etc, even though the vast majority were not involved in the protest. Are there any taxi drivers here who have noticed a difference in the attitude of other road users?
    I don't really get this. You won't let taxis pull out etc because of the protest even though you believe that the vast majority of taxi drivers were not involved in the protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The last time I was in a taxi I was well on, but I still had a small game with myself on the way home: count the violations of the driver. I might have been drunk, but I still counted dozens: no indications at all, lane weaving, speeding, going through red lights. It's a good game and helps you sober up quickly!! :p

I've come to the conclusion that the road traffic act doesn't apply to taxi drivers or white van men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Taxi Drivers are vermin - it's a label they brought on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't understand this attitude towards taxi drivers. Does it not occur those of you with an intransigent attitude, that you are delaying the passenger/s? It's no skin off the taxi drivers nose if he is delayed as the meter is running anyway. You may just put extra stress on a fellow citizen, who didn't block O'Connell Street but who may have a flight to catch/meeting to attend/date etc. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

People have always disliked taxi drivers, any protests only re-inforce this view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

They are scum. They treat everyone else with utter contempt. How dare we occupy THEIR road??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

In fact I think hackney drivers are even worse.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 White Van Man

Slow coach wrote:
    I've come to the conclusion that the road traffic act doesn't apply to taxi drivers or white van men.

Ah now, don't put the white van men on the same level as taxi or hackney drivers when it comes to manners on the road.

We're not quite that bad. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Mostly scum.

One or two nice ones.

But mostly inconsiderate, incompetent, scum. No courtesy. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen taxis just stop and stick on the flashers. block one whole side of a road, and pay no attention to anyone around them. Try stopping in front of a taxi driver and see how long it is before you have a blaring horn up your arse...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

... I've lost count of the number of times I've seen taxis just stop and stick on the flashers. block one whole side of a road, and pay no attention to anyone around them. Try stopping in front of a taxi driver and see how long it is before you have a blaring horn up your arse...

Ah, you mean the mystical 'park anywhere' lights? :) The lights that give a Taxi driver the god given right to create a parking space in the middle of a street, usually after breaking hard when traffic is moving fast behind him.

After speaking to bus drivers in Dublin, they hate them as much as normal car drivers for the reason above

Advertisement