Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FBD - No Claims Discount Protection Cover

Options
  • 07-10-2006 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Getting insurance quotes recently and FBD are by far any away the cheapest insurer for me (quoted €680 fully comp on a 02 Fabia 1.4L Comfortline hatch - 1 years driving experience,one years no claims, just got full license last week).

They offer a "No Claims Discount Cover" for €47 euro on top of the regular insurance if wanted. Its advertised as a way of keeping your no claims bonus even if you do in fact have claims.
    However would this be recognised by other companies though?
    Say I crash into someone and they claim off my insurance. Next year I see another insurer is quoting cheaper than FBD providing I have the same no claims protection..however I cannot really say I haven't made a claim ??

Can anyone clarify this ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Not sure if it's recognised if you switch insurers; I'd imagine it's more of a way for them to keep your business once they've shelled out money to you!

I've been with FBD for about 8 years, and I'm in the process of making my first claim. When I rang them about it, I said I'd prefer not to have to go through insurance, but I'd have to due to the amount of damage I had done.

The girls reply to me was "Don't worry about it; you have your no claims protected, so it won't make any difference to your renewal".

I reckon it must be the best €50 odd I've spent in years, even if I can't switch companies!

BTW; I do the insurance hunt every year, and they've consistently been the cheapest for me to get insurance with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks Fey, that sounds like its worth it then so will go for it.

FBD seems to be very decent compaired to the rest :-

Breakdown coverage, replacement car while own car is being repaired , windscreen coverage (which doesn't affect no claims) and third party insurance in any other car you drive as long as its not your own - handy when looking to buy another car.

Keep thinking I'm missing something important!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I had forgotten about the replacement car - thanks for the reminder (note to self; get one on Monday!!!). I've been lucky on that side of things; my mechanic keeps giving me cars and I've sold a couple of them (maybe that's why it's taking so long to get my car fixed....!)

The windscreen cover normally goes under "bring it to autoglass; they'll put in the windscreen and bill us" type of thing - no fuss or bolloney.

One of my favourite things about them is the fact that you talk to a person in an office local to you, not to a call centre, so chances are you deal with the same person most of the time.

As for the driving of other cars, you can do that as long as the second car you're driving isn't registered to you.

A little bit OT; I work in the jewellery industry, and for years have been looking for an insurance company that'll cover things like engagement rings without the customer having to have house cover (for people in rented accomadation). Found out a few weeks ago that FBD do it. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

THe no claims bonus is protected with FBD only. When you get your notice to renew your insurance the ammount of the claim will be on it, so if you move to anyone else you will loose the NCB.

If there was no other party involved you will only loose the NCB on the comphrensive part of the policy.

Dingding - can you clarify about losing the NCB on the comprehensive part; my accident didn't have anyone else invovled, and they've told me that I won't lose my no claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As far as I remember when I got my letter of NCB off FDB it said I had 6 years, but also said that I may have had a claim in that time. You can still move.

To the OP. AFAIK you can only protect a full NCB, 5 years +, before I had the full NCB they wouldn't let me. Unless it has changed recently.

Advertisement