Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moisture In The Home

Options
  • 07-10-2006 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

If this is not the right thread then im really sorry - ive been searching for an hour and this is the closest ive gotten.

I have a minor moisture which is really starting to wreck my head and i am hoping all you nice people out there may have some ideas on how i might solve this once and for all.

My girlfriend and i moved into our new apartment Three months ago.
    The apartment block was brand new and we are the first people to live in this apartment.
    It appears they may have rushed us into the apartment a bit mearly without allowing it to dry out first.

Anyway three months later and were still here with the same problems.

Our bedroom is always Moist all of the time.
    The Mattress on the bed - soaked
    Our pillows - Soaked
    Our clothes stink of that Mildue smell you get... In fack the entire room stinks all of the time.

In an effort to combat this we went off and bought a dehumidifier. Nothing fancy(120Eur at argos) and for the past two months its been running non stop all of the time.
    Its not all that great though. It holds i think a max of .25L of water and takes nearly three days to fill.

Have the window open as much as possible to Air out the room(And that terrible smell)

Using Febreze on everything in the room at least once a week and using Shake and Vac on the carpet in an attempt to remove the smell which works for about 24hours and then were back to Square 1.

Have a Plug in Plugged in.

And today i have also put a container filled with Rice under the bed and another in My closset in another brave atempt to rid myself of this god forsaken smell.

Any and all Advice welcome.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

What other ventillation does the flat have?

Check for sources of moisture, could be from the kitchen or bathroom,
    where does moisturefrom the kitchen & Bathroom vent to, could some of the moisture be coming from those rooms and into the bedroom, moisture tends to condense on cooler surfaces.

Is the bedroom kept at a lower temprature than the rest of the flat.

Are "wet" trades still working in the remainder of the flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

What other ventillation does the flat have?

Check for sources of moisture, could be from the kitchen or bathroom,
    where does moisturefrom the kitchen & Bathroom vent to, could some of the moisture be coming from those rooms and into the bedroom, moisture tends to condense on cooler surfaces.

Is the bedroom kept at a lower temprature than the rest of the flat.

Are "wet" trades still working in the remainder of the flats.

Our kitchen is a kitchen/Living room which we spend most of our time in and seem to be free of this problem.

Our bathroom is one of those rooms with no windows and a small little extracter fans on the ceiling.

Windows are the only ventillation this apartment has which surprises me as i would have thought vents on the walls or something would be required.

A few wet trades working around our building but none in the building itself.

Bedroom is at a lower temp than rest of flat.(Mainly due to the fact i always have the window open to air it out)

Cheers

May be worth shutting the bedroom window, winding up the heating and opening the kitchen/living room window and hopefully driving out the damp that way.

Building regs require some form of ventillation in all habitable rooms, are there trickle vents in the window frames? if not you should get the builders back!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

May be worth shutting the bedroom window, winding up the heating and opening the kitchen/living room window and hopefully driving out the damp that way.

Building regs require some form of ventillation in all habitable rooms, are there trickle vents in the window frames? if not you should get the builders back!

Will give that a shot and see how i get on - yes 1 tiny vent in each window frame(just to comply with reg) but not to useful.

Thanks for the advice

Advertisement