Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GT or GTO?

Options
  • 07-10-2006 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok i'm looking to upgrade my old 6800 Ultra :rolleyes: and i'm looking at either a 7900GT 512mb model or the 7900GTO 512mb model. Does anyone know what the main benefits of paying the extra bit of cash for for a GTO are over the GT besides clocks, as i'm planning on OC'in my card either way (tnx for the tut pog ;)). Am I mistaken in my understanding that a GTX is just a GT with a higher clock, and that the GTO is the middle ground between them. Or is there some major difference between the GT and GTX?

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There's a different voltmod for the gtx, the board is laid out totally different to the gt (from examining the voltmod pics), so i'd say there is a big difference. Not sure bout the gto.

Edit: 8T8 is the 1 to answer that, He's well knowlegable on gpu's

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Maybe you should look into getting a 7950 GT instead?
    Performance/heat should beat out the old 7900-based models easily.

Oh, and a quick look around suggests that the 7900GTO is an mildly underclocked 7900GTX. I still suggest a 7950GT, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is the 7950 not just a pre-overclocked 7900? why not get a 512mb 7900gt, Zalman cooler & volt mod it to beyond gtx speeds :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Don't know about the 7 series, but I have a 6800gto which I got from Dell. The only difference between it and the 6800gt was the pipes being reduced from 16 to 12. Despite that you could unlock those last 4 pipes on early models.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Is the 7950 not just a pre-overclocked 7900? why not get a 512mb 7900gt, Zalman cooler & volt mod it to beyond gtx speeds :D

You read my mind, this is exactly what i'm going to do. I've actually ordered my 7900GT 512MB now, and will be getting a Zalman cooler for it, then volt modding it. Its a bit cheaper than the GTO and should last me for the next few months until I upgrade to DX10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

have you thought of getting the HIS x1900xt that they are selling on Komplett at the moment as it is supposed to be better than the 7950gt and comes with its own "Ice-Q" cooling system built in

Advertisement