Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Limit

Options
  • 07-10-2006 7:33pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have BT broadband, and i was just wondering if the download limit i have of 10 Gigs per month refers to files i actually download or pages i view/videos i watch online.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Both.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

do you know of any way i can moniter my usage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

andrew wrote:
    I have BT broadband, and i was just wondering if the download limit i have of 10 Gigs per month refers to files i actually download or pages i view/videos i watch online.
    Your "download limit" refers to bytes of information. If the webpages you download so that you can view them on your computer are made up of bytes of information (they are) then those bytes count against your limit. If the files you download are made up of bytes of information (they are) then those bytes count against your limit.

If it comes across your DSL connection, it counts.

andrew wrote:
    do you know of any way i can moniter my usage?
    http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/

You'll need your DSL username and password.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

I've been using DU Meter the past few days, 30 day trial version I believe..anyway it's surprising the amount of "bytes" you use by doing, well nothing:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

So say you use the net for 4 to 5 hours a day surfing the net not downloading videos or movies etc... just looking at web pages , would 10GB be enough????

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Dellas wrote:
    So say you use the net for 4 to 5 hours a day surfing the net not downloading videos or movies etc... just looking at web pages , would 10GB be enough????

I'm no expert but I'd say 10gb would easily cover that use :cool:

Dellas wrote:
    Yes.

Great im proberbly going for 20GB limit so i will be well covered then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Dellas wrote:
    Great im proberbly going for 20GB limit so i will be well covered then.
    So long as you're not doing any serious downloading or uploading (such as downloading from limewire, bearshare etc) you'll be fine.

Just loading pages and watching videos on Youtube and general browsing will bring you nowhere near the 10GB cap.

The cap is only in place to prevent people "overusing" their connection, since contention (ie the amount of simultanious users that can be online at once in your area without affecting your broadband usage) issues can be caused by people downloading half the internet and ruining it for others in their area.

Don't worry about your cap at all unless you're planning on downloading movies or heaps of music.

• Advertisement

Thats great thanks for that , the only thing I would ever watch is CNN 2 to 3 min news update or send photos to family and friends but they are always JPEG and small then normal surfing so maybe I could do with 10GB but I think I should go for the 2MB rather than the 1MB just for faster access in which case you get 20GB by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

andrew wrote:
    Thanks

If your worried about download limits switch to Smart
    they dont have any download cap.

I got 6 Megabit download at the moment with no download
    cap for 35 yo yo's per month its like christmas everyday.

~B

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Over 4 hrs and 15 minutes yesterday i used 252 Megs, thats playing games for a bit, surfing the net and watching a video or two. a pretty suprising amount i thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

bullets wrote:
    If your worried about download limits switch to Smart
    You're taking the piss right?

Yeah havn't smart gone bankrupt?

lol, no I dont think hes's taking the piss Smart are still providing a BB service but they are in very serious financial difficulties hence last weeks events. I think if your with Smart and you only want BB then you may as well stay with them and see what happens but I deffo wouldnt be signing up with them now as a new customer thats for sure. Its just not stable enough to go through all that switch over for a product that is not guranteed in the future. It would be like buying a plane ticket on an airline thats going bust!!!

Smart may turn around their bad fortunes but until then I wouldnt be signing up. They do not offer any phone services at present just BB.

BT or UTV are good alternatives to Eircom if you dont want to sign up to Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if you get Broadband with them you also get a normal Voice Service too, heck you can use VoIP on it if ya want

Advertisement