Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting two bedroom - with/without en-suite ?

Options
  • 07-10-2006 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

How important is an ensuite ? I'm in the process of buying an apartment for renting out and have a choice of a two bedroom with ensuite (at an additional €15,000 premium) or two bedroom without.

Obviously everybody's renting circumstances are different, but, having never been in this situation before I'm not sure what's expected. Is an ensuite in one of the rooms a big plus, would it make the unit easier to rent ?

I don't feel that it's worth the extra premium, but if I can be convinced otherwise, I will be.

An ensuite would be more likely to make me rent a property 7 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 7 votes
    What's an ensuite ?
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If I was in the market for renting a 2 bedroom property and I had multiple choices one of which included a house with an en-suite I would be more than willing to pay a small premium in rent for the sake of getting the house with the en-suite...... I would be loathe to share a house with someone else if there was only one bathroom (particularly if they were high maintanance type person/people.......)

It may be 15k upfront, but it is a big bonus when you are renting the property, and when you go to sell it again it will more than pay for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Definitely the ensuite, especially if you are sharing with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ensuite for sure.

I am about to sell a 2 bed townhouse with ensuite & main bathroom upstairs with the addition of a 3rd bathroom with WC & WHB under the stairs. It was one of the main reasons I bought the property and hoping it will be a good bonus for me being able to get a quick sale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

iMax wrote:
    I'm in the process of buying an apartment for renting out

You got some balls with the foreboding economic climate. Whether or not it has an en-suite will be the least of your problems, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Yes, it would hugely benefit your property. But location, condition and the price you are looking for would also count. Put in short, if the location is remote, its in shabby condition and you're looking for a big premium, then no amount of extras will make it competitive for tenants.

As for whether or not you are wise to invest, basically if you are buying for cash or paying a mortgage that is less than the rent (realistically) is likely to make, its not a bad idea. Considering that about 2/3 of all shared rooms in Dublin on Daft are renting for less than 500 a month, you'd need to be prepared to be competitive on rent or else offering something really special - or just buying for cash!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you actually getting a larger apartment for your money or is it merely the same size with the floor space converted?

Advertisement