Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to work in city center from Rush

Options
  • 07-10-2006 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am planning to commute by bike from Rush to the city center every day and was just wondering what sort of race bike I should buy with a budget of 1300-1400 euro. I was looking on the Cyclesuperstore website and was thinking of buying the Giant SCR 1.0 '07 (link to it is below). Also would anyone have an idea as to how long it would take to cycle into the city center every day by bike. I am basically sick of getting public transport to work. Thanks

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=11630

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I'd guess about 60 minutes depending on where you're going to.

Your average will be affected by stopping for traffic lights, and being stuck behind cars in cycle tracks. (Thank the PDs for that.)

Avoid Fairview as the surface on the compulsory track is quite slippy at present.

Also watch out for the cycle track outside of the airport, last time I saw it, they had it marked as two-way for bikes and pedestrians but at the legal width of a one-way bikes-only lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bod1

For your money, this would be a far better buy, as your getting far better componentry for the money. I ride a carbon version and it's the best handling bike I've owned.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=12404

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

HI

I recently moved to Celbridge, and i have already done a couple of runs into work all the way, taking an hour or so, which is roughlythe same time you might expect to take on your journey.

I'm only planning on going all the way occasionally, but I think if you're going to do this everyday, getting a road bike with disc brakes would be a better option.

There are plenty of disc brake road bikes designed for commuting longer distances on the market. Like:
    Trek Portland - drop bars
    Kona Dr Dew - flat bars
    specialized sirrus disc - flat bars

Not sure if giant do one.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I'd agree - about an hour if you get a clear run. It's 34km according to the Michelin website.

A good road bike would definitely be the quickest way of covering the distance however I'd consider getting something cheaper if it's just for commuting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

I'd definitely recommed a flatbar of some description. I find them much safer to ride in traffic as the visibility is much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I'm not sold on disk brakes for road bikes myself. Think they add too much weight for the advantage they offer, which is stopping potential in wet or slippery conditions (ie wet rims)

I'm sure others would disagree, but there you go. I would say that disks on the rear wheel is just a waste of time though

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Morgan wrote:
    I'd agree - about an hour if you get a clear run. It's 34km according to the Michelin website.

A good road bike would definitely be the quickest way of covering the distance however I'd consider getting something cheaper if it's just for commuting.

Was just checking out the michelin site - great by the way, the DTO does one too - it says the journey would take over 2 hours. My cycle from Celbridge to Dublin is 21km and it takes me an hour. I don't ride like mad, but I'm not going too slow either.

All this makes 34km in an hour seem a tad ambitious if you ask me, fast road bike or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

My $0.02... contradicts that of the above posters.

After doing some serious rain cycling with v-brakes I'm definitely sold on the idea of disc brakes for commuting, no question.

Secondly, last weekend on my MTB I did town-Swords-Donabate-town again, and I'd love to have had drops - the flat bar got tiring and I wanted some aero for the tough parts against the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Re: commute time, it took me about 30 mins from town to Swords via Fairview, Malahide Road as far as the Swords turn off, and that was pushing it. Conditions: wet, 10-15km/h winds.

From Donabate village via Turvey Avenue, Swords, Malahide Rd as far the Artane roundabout took 52 minutes at night with a very strong headwind. I was taking it easy cos of the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Morgan wrote:

You'd want to be some hardy man to do that in an hour, twice a day, five times a week. Admittedly a triathlete could do it, or a competitive cyclist maybe. I'm a fairly fit 41y/o and my usual recreational spin is about 35km (kilmainham/lucan/blanch/castleknock) and takes in a few hills. That takes me 1 hour 20mins-ish

I do that on a Specialized Cirrus Sport which can cope with ****ty roads - a road bike would probably allow a better pace, but commuting from Rush would take its toll on a road bike...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

That distance in an hour would be good going!

The last 8km or so is in the city centre where it's impossible to (safely) average over about 15km/h, which leaves you with 26km to cover in outer suburban. Maybe an hour in the morning with the wind at your back, but I think 90 mins is a more reasonable door-to-door time to expect - plus you're gonna need a shower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I do just over 7km each day, each way. Takes 20-25min on the bike in and about 15-20 back (downhill more). I would say 20min average on the flat for the same distance. I go at a fairly fast pace, passing out probably 95% of people I encounter, only overtaken by serious guys on racers on the road in all the gear.
    This takes into account traffic lights, avoiding cars etc. Then there is the time getting the bike from my shed and locking it up in work, another 5mins there. I have cycle lanes most of the way.

34km in an hour? I don't think so, are you guys looking at your average speed on a speedo or something, sure that might be 34km/hr when cruising but with stops etc it is a lot less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ruprect wrote:
    34km in an hour? I don't think so, are you guys looking at your average speed on a speedo or something, sure that might be 34km/hr when cruising but with stops etc it is a lot less than that.
    I have to agree with this. My speedo reports an average of 15mph for my commute, while I cruise closer to 25mph. It's all the slowing/starting either side of lights - I push it between those stops. When I race in duathlons my average is 20mph.
    At 15mph, 34km will take 85mins, while it will take 65mins at 20mph.
    It's quite a distance and major fair play to do if you do it. A good bike will make it more pleasant.

As you are considering cycling such a distance, I am going to assume that you have a shower in the office. If so, you might consider running some of the way by getting off at an earlier station (I do this at least once a week). Maybe change at Howth Junction to a DART and get off at Clontarf Road, jogging the rest of the way. Jogging along the canal between Broombridge and Drumcondra in the morning is actually quite relaxing.
    Such jogging would be a break from your cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

ruprect wrote:

I would also agree. I'm exactly 8km from work according to my bike computer and my journey time is on average 20mins. 34km in an hour is a bit much but probably could be done at a fast constant pace with no stopping for traffic lights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 40 makospeed

I've been cycling the last 18 months, 5 days a week, round trip of 22miles (35k), averaging 35-40minutes, depending on wind and the sequencing of 40 sets of traffic lights (N11)...which really gets you, stopping/starting....watch out for those school kids though, second schoolkid this month to step directly in front of me (I had green light)...lucky I was at a slower speed, hit him but as usual I came off worse with grazed thigh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

I cycle 28km per day (14km each way) to work and back. On a calm day I can do the trip in 26 mins door to door (I would be pushing hard all the way). On a windy day with the wind in my face it can take up to 35 mins ... but it makes for a very fast ride home with the wind to my back!

I live in Galway and only have 3 sets of traffic lights for the entire 14km journey ... so I guess that would really help my average speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks for the advice lads. I have ordered the below bike from the Cycle superstore in Tallaght (they said it will take 2-3 weeks for delivery)
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=12404. I will see how I get on cycling from Rush to the City Center. The workplace is based in Stephens Green. I am not too bothered if it takes 1:30 hours because with a 3 hour cycle every day at least with all the exercise I won't have to go to the gym after work. I am currently training for the Dublin City Marathon so I should receive the bike as soon as I have that out of the way which will suit. I woudn't want to envisage cycling both into work and training for this at the same time. Hopefully this bike will be ideal for competing in Duathlons and Triathlons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

billyhead wrote:
    Hopefully this bike will be ideal for competing in Duathlons and Triathlons.
    Definitely will be. Put a set of aerobars on it and you'll be sorted. The arm brackets on these aerobars lift up so you can use the top of the handlebars. I have these on my Lapierre.

Getting the bike for late October, you'll be ready for the first duathlons of the year in February (I know that this is a 2006 race list but the duathlon series is an annual thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Well, I do Glasnevin to Donabate in around 45mins give or take, so 60mins would be a nice round figure.

Advertisement