Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netgear WPN824, can't get online

• 07-10-2006 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Facts: Existing Verizon DSL into Mac Mini, so PPoE, variable DSN (so says Verizon). Never any problem logging into DSL directly, and this is the 4th machine that has used this connection, so I don't think the ISP cares about MAC.

I can see the router to configure it (switched to DHCP), but in the Wizard it insists that I have a fixed DNS. The Internet light is on on the front of the router, and the Network Status tells me that I have an internet connection, although there are no other indications that I do.

I can see the router wirelessly with a new MacBook, but without internet access.

Also, I downloaded the latest firmware, but it won't install - spins and spins.

The router was refurbished, and has no serial # (!), so I can't get tech help from NetGear. So I turn to you all. Help! Before my wife gets so frustrated she returns it all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

JRoth wrote:
    Facts: Existing Verizon DSL into Mac Mini, so PPoE, variable DSN (so says Verizon).
    This is boards.ie - that's .ie for Ireland, and Verizon doesn't operate in Ireland, so you won't find many people here with experience of Verizon's netwok services.

Having said that, you haven't said what changed - does your DSL connection work if you don't use the Netgear?

You mention PPPoE - the Netgear can do PPPoE, but what was handling the PPPoE setup before you installed the Netgear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JRoth

Sorry, I noted the .ie, but it just didn't register (FWIW, my grandmother was an O'Toole, and I had a lovely time in Dublin at age 4). The discussion here just seemed to be very helpful.

Anyway, yes, my DSL modem still works fine - it just won't go through the router. The router seems hung up on the DNS issue.

The Mac runs the PPoE through its Network config, but the NetGear says to set the computer to do DHCP, which lets it see the router.

JRoth wrote:
    Anyway, yes, my DSL modem still works fine - it just won't go through the router.
    How are you connecting to the DSL when you're not using the router?
    The router seems hung up on the DNS issue.
    If the router isn't doing the PPPoE, then it doesn't know what DNS servers to use.
    The Mac runs the PPoE through its Network config, but the NetGear says to set the computer to do DHCP, which lets it see the router.

Turn off PPPoE on the Mac, and set it up on the NetGear. (You'll need to know your Verizon usrname and password to do that). I'm assuming that, if the Mac is doing the PPPoE now, the device that's actually plugged into your phoneline is just a "modem", rather than a router in it's own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JRoth

Foxwood wrote:
    Turn off PPPoE on the Mac, and set it up on the NetGear. (You'll need to know your Verizon usrname and password to do that). I'm assuming that, if the Mac is doing the PPPoE now, the device that's actually plugged into your phoneline is just a "modem", rather than a router in it's own right.
    Yeah, I've set up the PPoE on the NetGear, but however I line up the settings (fixed/auto IP, fixed/auto DNS), it never connects. The existing device is, indeed, just a modem, with no routing capabilities. But I know that it is fully compatible with routers - I worked in an office that used the same ISP and the same modem to connect a dozen computers (not through NetGear, but still...)

JRoth wrote:
    Yeah, I've set up the PPoE on the NetGear, but however I line up the settings (fixed/auto IP, fixed/auto DNS), it never connects. The existing device is, indeed, just a modem, with no routing capabilities.
    Forget about the DNS issue for a minute, you're putting the cart before the horse there. DNS is just a convenience - a pretty important one, but a convenience none the less.

If you can get to Google by clicking on http://64.233.187.99, or to boards by cicking on http://82.195.136.250 then you're connected, and you need to specify a static DNS server. If those numeric address's don't work, then you haven't set up your PPPoE connection properly. That could be because you've got your usename and password wrong, or it could be because you've got a bad router, but the logs in the router should give you some indication of what the problem is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement