Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me.

Options
  • 07-10-2006 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I just got broadband after waiting two years.
    I am getting speeds of 500kb or lower.
    i tried a freinds laptop and i got what i should be getting - 2.5MB.
    I tried 2 different network cards, no difference.
    I found spyware, i reinstalled windows completely, no difference.
    Doesnt sound like much but iam about to jump off a bridge if i dont get somewhere.

Whats up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Hi.

I just got broadband after waiting two years.
    I am getting speeds of 500kb or lower.
    i tried a freinds laptop and i got what i should be getting - 2.5MB.
    I tried 2 different network cards, no difference.
    I found spyware, i reinstalled windows completely, no difference.
    Doesnt sound like much but iam about to jump off a bridge if i dont get somewhere.

Whats up?
    Whie your friend mightn't appreciate it if you connected a spyware infected PC up to his laptop, have you tried transferring files between the PC and the laptop?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You will have to give us some more details.

Exactly what sort of set up do you have? Are you using any antivirus firewall etc?

Did you just plug your friends laptop into the same ethernet slot with same cable etc etc?

What speed is your router syncing at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Sorry. The service is from net1.ie

Its wireless. There is no router. Just one cable that goes straight into an ethernet slot. We plugged it in straight to the laptop. No routers involved.
    I've tried with firewall and without.

Another thing.
    My freinds laptop picked up the settings straight away (the ones that the company gave me )

The PC (Which is a shuttle, if that makes a difference) didnt pick up the details, i had to enter them myself.

bump

maybe someone in the Building and Upgrading forum can help. If the laptop works, it's not a broadband problem, and if you've reinstalled Windows and tried 2 different NICs it sounds like a hardware problem, maybe an IRQ clash, but the guys in that forum are more likely to be able to help you with that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

have you consider the Brits in Camlough :p

Thanks
    have you consider the Brits in Camlough
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

It sounds like it might be you Rwin settings

Do a google for Drtcp download it and run it there is a site in the UK that you can test your settings on and it will advise
    I think it is here www.dslreports.com but if you cannot find it give us a shout

shltter wrote:
    I think it is here www.dslreports.com but if you cannot find it give us a shout

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6266

Advertisement