Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what would you do?

• 07-10-2006 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

I am Oscar Wilde sitting in my Merrion Square ivory tower. I've listened to all these people on boards.ie dissing Stan and as a result I've decided to sack The Gaffer and give YOU the job. What are you going to do improve the fortunes of the Irish team starting tomorrow morning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

First thing I'd do is get in some players who are going to put their heart into the fúcking team. I wouldn't care if we lost 5-0 in Cyprus, once the team showed a bit of passion in the jersey.

I'd get Lee Carsley into the squad for Wednesday's game.

I'd sack Bobby Robson as my sidekick.

I'd take the captaincy off, and drop, Robbie Keane.

But then this is all hypothetical. I'd NEVER work for that bunch of clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Pigman II wrote:
    I am Oscar Wilde sitting in my Merrion Square ivory tower. I've listened to all these people on boards.ie dissing Stan and as a result I've decided to sack The Gaffer and give YOU the job. What are you going to do improve the fortunes of the Irish team starting tomorrow morning?

Well some kind of scouting network is obvioulsy needed because there just HAS to be a better player out ther than John O'Shea. We are going nowhere for the time being so investment at underage and local level is required. Getting soccer into primary schools is a must

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Collie D wrote:
    Well some kind of scouting network is obvioulsy needed because there just HAS to be a better player out ther than John O'Shea. We are going nowhere for the time being so investment at underage and local level is required. Getting soccer into primary schools is a must
    Scouting System?

There is a whole fúcking league of players right here on this island.

I wonder how many games Gob****e has been to?

seansouth wrote:
    Scouting System?

There is a whole fúcking league of players right here on this island.

I wonder how many games Gob****e has been to?

Now now, sounds like you're losing your temper, see my other post. I never said that we couldn't find talent at home but if Zdane had an Irish granny and he was discovered when he was eighteen would you be complaining? As long as the guy had passion, some of Ireland's most committed players weren't born here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Collie D wrote:

LOL thats priceless ,I think we have a decent enough youth system considering 172 youths went to England during the summer so something must be working. How many come back is unknown.

O Shea plays CM for Man Utd and gets his game every week, must be doing something right or is he being managed right?

Considering you have 4 days to do whatever is needed, all i would do is get in Carsely.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Firstly read my sig ;)

hire someone with experience, we missed the boat not getting someone like Venables or O'Neill, in other words go all out to get a proper manager with experience of getting something out of a limited squad

then get rid of this pathetic ''eL players aren't good enough'' bollix attitude that infests Ireland managers, FAI and too many of our fans. There are many eL players who are superior footballers to some on that irish team tonight. A strong domestic league will reap the benfits for the national team. With the FAI in charge of eL from next season now is the opportunity to boost our domestic league... I hold my breath on that one.

and the big one.... GRASS ROOTS, GRASS ROOTS, GRASS ROOTS! More money would be helpful but the main problem lies in the fact that 7/8 year olds are coached to boot the ball 50 years in the air and not to pass and feel confortable with the ball. Coaching is the key, have a proper coaching system, pick the best young talent in this country and give them the best coaches, bring foreign coaches if possible

all this is far easier said than done I know but we all agree that we need to be bold because we're going nowhere as it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Everything Seansouth has said is bang on. Irish soccer is being run too much like a business. Of course it needs to be run with a certain level of business sense but surely you need to know something about the business you're getting involved in. The FAI have proved that they know very little about soccer and it's the fans who are suffering because of it.

Let's forget about everything that we've been conditioned by the media to think. Stop for a second and think about the appointment of Steven Staunton as manager. I'd almost feel sorry for the guy. I say almost cause I know he's not going to do the decent thing and come out tomorrow, raise his hands, and say that he's out of his depth.

For anyone who thinks that Staunton can't be blamed and that he just has a poor team to pick from....take a look at the Scottish team and see what a good managerial team can do.

We are an embarrassment at the moment.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Considering you have 4 days to do whatever is needed, all i would do is get in Carsely.

kdjac

Short term yes but as I said this campaign is effectively over and the national team is going to drop down the seedings, it's a vicious circl and it's going to take a while to get back up. I'll ignore the O'Sgea part because I don't know how he gets his game for United either, if anything that's more puzzling because they can simply buy a replacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Can someone actually name a half-decent manager who would want to mange Ireland who has a decent level of experience?

Please, no one mention stehpen kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Collie D wrote:
    Short term yes but as I said this campaign is effectively over and the national team is going to drop down the seedings, it's a vicious circl and it's going to take a while to get back up. I'll ignore the O'Sgea part because I don't know how he gets his game for United either, if anything that's more puzzling because they can simply buy a replacement
    I could understand him getting a game for Waterford United, well, just about. They at least try!

• Advertisement

Can someone actually name a half-decent manager who would want to mange Ireland who has a decent level of experience?

Guus Hiddink obvioulsy likes a challenge and he's proved he can produce the goods. AFAIK he's with Russia now but he should have been a target foir the FAI. He had planned to quit Australia after the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Collie D wrote:
    Well some kind of scouting network is obvioulsy needed because there just HAS to be a better player out ther than John O'Shea.
    if you think john o shea is our biggest problem, then you'd wanna take a closer look at the squad mate. at least he has "some" top flight expereince including champions league, there are 7 or 8 in the irish squad at the moment that dont deserve to be there, o shea does. simple as that

Ehh why not (not that i would) but considering we have Staunton atm with >.< this much exp, your pretty much covered once you name any manager ie seansouth???

kdjac

o shea does. simple as that

How do you come to that conclusion. I'm not saying he's the only one but he's the most obvious one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Alan Curbishley

KdjaCL wrote:
    Ehh why not (not that i would) but considering we have Staunton atm with >.< this much exp, your pretty much covered once you name any manager ie seansouth???

kdjac

Because my post said someone with decent experience. If i said someone with the same experience as stanton they he would be grand.

Hell, even i could go for with FM experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Collie D wrote:
    How do you come to that conclusion. I'm not saying he's the only one but he's the most obvious one

he is playing at the top top level week in, week out, surely that counts for something. so do the likes of keane,finnan and duff and there not exactly setting the world on fire at international level at the moment, but still, they are vital to the team. do you honestly think that a new manger is going to drop o shea? its not going to happen, WE JUST DO NOT HAVE THE QUALITY to replace him.

and he is the most obvious one???? what about o brien, morrison, kilbane, i could go on and on

fade2black wrote:
    Alan Curbishley

Good choice, i think he'b be excellent.

Only one i can think of. As good as guus hidink would be, realistically we really cant afford him.

Because my post said someone with decent experience. If i said someone with the same experience as stanton they he would be grand.

Hell, even i could go for with FM experience.

Hes managed 3 clubs with success of sorts and managed kids at pats, so technically hes well up on stan.

kdjac

he is playing at the top top level week in, week out, surely that counts for something. so do the likes of keane,finnan and duff and there not exactly setting the world on fire at international level at the moment, but still, they are vital to the team. do you honestly think that a new manger is going to drop o shea? its not going to happen, WE JUST DO NOT HAVE THE QUALITY to replace him.

and he is the most obvious one???? what about o brien, morrison, kilbane, i could go on and on

And I said it was a mystery why he was also playing at United, he plays at the top level but he doesn't perform at the top level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I have said this many times before.

John O'Shea looks good for United because of the players he plays with, not because he is that good.

I don't think he is our worst problem, Kevin Kilbane is a waste of space, just not good enough on the wing or in the middle. Douglas probably would have been better then him tonight!
    Shocking, truely shocking.

Advertisement