Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Wrestler S.O.S. to wrestle for WWE

• 07-10-2006 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

It's probably just some dark matches, but it's definately a huge step for him, and a step up from the standard "tryouts" WWE give local guys on their house shows - they're actually flying him in for the 2 UK TV tapings!
    IRISH WRESTLER SHEAMUS O'SHAUNESSY LANDS WWE RAW & SMACKDOWN SHOWS!
    October 5th 2006

Two-Time Irish Heavyweight Wrestling Champion Sheamus O’Shaunessy has finally got his shot at the Big Time after being recruited by the WWE for their top two Prime-Time shows in November: RAW & Smackdown...

But rather than put SOS in front of his home crowd in The Point, WWE recruiters want the Irish giant for their two biggest shows in Manchester’s MEN Arena, with a capacity of 20,000 seats, for live tapings of RAW on Monday 13th November and Smackdown on Tuesday 14th November.

With global TV viewing Figures in the hundreds-of-millions, the WWE is one of the biggest sporting and entertainment programmes on the planet and a massive platform for the Dubliner who hopes to follow in-the-footsteps of other WWE stars such as Hulk Hogan and The Rock.

On getting the booking through his popular website www.SOSOfficial.com Sheamus O’Shaunessy – The Irish Curse said:

I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING, THIS REALLY IS A DREAM COME THROUGH! I’VE BEEN TRAINING HARD – TWICE A DAY IN THE GYM – BUT I’M GOING TO EVEN STEP THAT UP AS THIS IS THE BIGGEST OPPORTUNITY OF MY LIFE AND I WANT TO DO IT FOR IRELAND & THE IRISH ALL AROUND THE WORLD.

For further information, go to:
    www.SOSOfficial.com

Source: http://www.thewrestlingchannel.tv/news.php?id=4

Good luck to him!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah good luck to him. Wouldn't get too carried away by it but it's still a positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Well done to SOS - hope it goes further then just the tryouts. I do hope he gets to the same level as Rebecca Knox or Fegal Devitt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

If they're flying him over it sure shows they're really interested- lets hope he makes the most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Fair play to him, though it doesn't necessarily mean he'll wrestle a match at all. They may just want another look at him, and might just end up using him as "Security Guard #4" on the show.

Still, I guess it shows something if they've even contacted him at all, so yeah, fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Yeah, good luck to SOS. Wouldn't be flown over to England just to be guard #4 i'd say but i wouldn't say they wouldn't put him a match either. Maybe just a try out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Fair play to him! Nice guy, he certainly seems to have put the work in. It seems like they are interested in him, maybe they want to see how he'll do away from the support of a home audience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Ya could see him doin sumtin with Finlay if he does well. I hope he does, Besta luck to him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

Well he could actually be in a match. He could either be in a dark match or he could be in a squash match against Umaga or somethin'. Who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Maybe a jobber match on Heat? If it was just a regular tryout they wanted, they could have done that in Dublin - they seem to be bringing him in specifically for TV!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately no one knows exactly what capacity (if any) he will be used in Manchester.

Remeber he has to walk before he can run.

If I was to speculate there are three scenarios

1) Standard security "personal"
    2) Jobber
    3) Dark match/Heat match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I've heard he is on the Merch table for the night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I heard he was the block 'C' usher.

So where was he? Where was SOS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I thought someone would have seen it and posted it already but yeah SOS was on Raw last Monday. He was one of the "security guards" Coach called over to remove HBK &HHH from their ringside seats. The red hair should have been a dead giveaway :D .

Not really suprising that this was what they used him for becuase those type of misc. roles are usually handed to up and comers on the local scene where Raw is taking place.

I thought someone wouyld have seen it and posted it already but yeah SOS was on Raw last Monday. He was one of the "security guards" Coaach called over to remove HBK &HHH from their ringside seats. The red hair should have been a dead giveaway :D .

Not really suprising that this was what they used him for becuase those type of misc. roles are usually handed to up and comers on the local scene where RAw is taking place.

So according to SOS
    I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING, THIS REALLY IS A DREAM COME THROUGH! I’VE BEEN TRAINING HARD – TWICE A DAY IN THE GYM – BUT I’M GOING TO EVEN STEP THAT UP AS THIS IS THE BIGGEST OPPORTUNITY OF MY LIFE AND I WANT TO DO IT FOR IRELAND & THE IRISH ALL AROUND THE WORLD.

So he has been training hard to do what? Only appear in a non-wrestling role, and unless you knew it was him, actually not be recognised on TV.

Jesus - this is why I wish people wouldnt post so much misleading drivel. Yes he did appear on TV...but thats it. All the hype, etc and it leads to what? Nothing.

Ph3n0m wrote:
    So according to SOS

So he has been training hard to do what? Only appear in a non-wrestling role, and unless you knew it was him, actually not be recognised on TV.

Jesus - this is why I wish people wouldnt post so much misleading drivel. Yes he did appear on TV...but thats it. All the hype, etc and it leads to what? Nothing.

Jesus, cool the jets. I was merely saying that I was suprised it hadn't been mentioned.

Also, who's to say it is all for nothing? That could be the first small step in the door. CM punk was in a similar situation, having to be a lacky for Cena's entrance at last years mania and now he is a solid ECW performer, competing in a upper card match at survivor series. I know that there is a difference in recognintion between Punk and SOS but, my point is that his appearence on Raw may have only been ancillary to any other opportunities he gets with WWE and not his actual opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

What was the point in flying him in, just to be a "security guard". They get local wrestlers from whatever area they are filming in to do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭irishhack

I saw him get the pedigree off HHH and thrown out of the ring, at first it didn't register. then the red hair registered and I was like wow sheamus is in the ring on Raw. not bad i say.

minimal role, and blink and you'll miss it but it's great exposure and it might lead to bigger and better things. don't player-hate just yet lads i think its a big step for an irish lad.

did he look bigger than HHH?

if anyone has a link to the footage please post it here. i have to see it again to make up my mind. good lad sos!!!!

irishhack wrote:
    I saw him get the pedigree off HHH and thrown out of the ring, at first it didn't register. then the red hair registered and I was like wow sheamus is in the ring on Raw. not bad i say.

minimal role, and blink and you'll miss it but it's great exposure and it might lead to bigger and better things. don't player-hate just yet lads i think its a big step for an irish lad.

did he look bigger than HHH?

if anyone has a link to the footage please post it here. i have to see it again to make up my mind. good lad sos!!!!

Nice sentiments.

• Advertisement

irishhack wrote:
    minimal role, and blink and you'll miss it but it's great exposure

How exactly is it great exposure? No one apart from a very select number of the audience would know who he is.

That is my problem - all this hype that he was appearing on RAW - to be honest I was expecting atleast some kind of wrestling role, maybe a dark match - but he didnt even get that.

And as previously pointed out they always use local guys to fill the roles of security/police/etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

You couldn't really tell where if anywhere this is going to take Seamus. It all seems a bit weird that he left IWW and went to WWE in England just to be a security guard. Also, he did take the pedigree well.

Ph3n0m wrote:
    How exactly is it great exposure? No one apart from a very select number of the audience would know who he is.

That is my problem - all this hype that he was appearing on RAW - to be honest I was expecting atleast some kind of wrestling role, maybe a dark match - but he didnt even get that.

And as previously pointed out they always use local guys to fill the roles of security/police/etc

Ehhhh getting a Pedigree off HHH at the finale of Monday Night's RAW is pretty big IMO. What, 400 Million people world wide watching isn't great exposure?

On the other hand I agree with you but - it's better that only a few people knew it was SOS as being a security guard isn't going to do any favours if it was widely known. But he took it well and made HHH look good, the WWE booked him and he performed, first foot in the door.

That's how they bring in guys, they have to blood them slowly until they are confident they wont mess up on live TV.

There were loads of security guys in there getting popped, it was obvious that SOS had a bigger role worked out with HHH as he was given far more ring time than the rest of the guys and given the BIG finisher.

Did SOS get a try out or a dark match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

irishhack wrote:
    Ehhhh getting a Pedigree off HHH at the finale of Monday Night's RAW is pretty big IMO. What, 400 Million people world wide watching isn't great exposure?
    He made HHH look good, the WWE booked him and he performed, first foot in the door.

Exactly - it's a fantastic foot in the door. Anyone can see that.

(edited due to personal attack)

Stalfos wrote:
    You couldn't really tell where if anywhere this is going to take Seamus. It all seems a bit weird that he left IWW and went to WWE in England just to be a security guard. Also, he did take the pedigree well.

Don't bring up the iww thing or it will all kick off again :):):)

can i see the pedigree footage online anywhere?

(edited due to off-topic reply - which I shouldnt have bothered making)

A foot in the door is meant to be a gauranteed lead-in to something bigger and better - I see no evidence of that. If you bothered your lazy ass to read my previous posts, I was expecting him to actually get a wrestling match on the card - be it as a squash or as I would have prefered, a dark match. Which, IN MY OPINION, would have be much better then being another nameless guy who HHH pedigreed.

As an example, the guys in IWW got to wrestle for WWE bookers before, and it was claimed to be a "foot in the door", "an amazing opportunity" - too bad that didnt pan out that way.

And according to the reports I have seen, from wrestlingobserver.com, he did not get a dark match

NOTE

Videos of RAW are here

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/videos/

Unfortunately, the last vid cuts off just as Team RKO-Edge win

Ph3n0m wrote:
    SOS and why I think (as my previous posts said) expecting him to actually wrestle, due to all the hype of being brought in by WWE, and instead got used as token security guy, whilst some people do think he has his "foot in the door"

Perhaps he hasn't got a foot in the door but he's definitly knocking on it which is admirable don't you think? You got to give the guy some respect for the amount of effort he put in over the past year trying to get the wwe to take notice which they obviously have by flying him over to Manchester. They could have let him job at The Point but they brought him over to the UK which shows there must be more to this than merely a token security guy. You can't begrudge him that ph3nom?

Facts: 1. they booked him for Manchester when they could have let him go along and job in dublin 2. he was given the role of a security guy but they gave him the finale with HHH's Pedigree 3. he done a good job and stood out in the small role they gave him

all this points to there being at least a minimum of interest and who knows what else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Some people here are saying that just because he played a security guard and took a pedigree from Triple H that it somehow gets him into WWE. He didn't wrestle a dark match, unless they had a tryout match during the day.

There have been other wrestlers that have been security guards or in other roles and have been involed in taking a shot and they aren't with WWE. For example Colt Cabana played a druid and has wreslted on Heat & Velocity do you see him being offered a contract, to mention just one of many.

And by the way someone mentioned CM Punk being in the 'mob' role for Cena's entrance at WM and now he is wrestling in ECW, but wasn't he already under contract with WWE at the time?!

Some people here are saying that just because he played a security guard and took a pedigree from Triple H that it somehow gets him into WWE. He didn't wrestle a dark match, unless they had a tryout match during the day.

I don't think that's what people are saying Rebel, some are saying that it was great that he got the exposure and might get a foot in the door and others are saying that it's no big deal and that it's pretty much meaningless.

No info has come out about whether he got a dark match or a try out so nobody knows anything until sos posts up his account of the manchester trip. *waiting*

• Advertisement

irishhack wrote:
    You can't begrudge him that ph3nom?

You see this is what the problem is. I am not begrudging what he has done wherever he has wrestled nor what he was asked to do with WWE.

What I am giving out about is that for the hype that surrounded this - he didnt actually wrestle, that is my problem. As a wrestling fan for many years, I watched RAW and I put myself in the mindset of the casual fan - and to be honest SOS was just another namesless indy wrestler who HHH pedigreed.

This is in no way meant to be a knock on SOS and his wrestling skills - this is a knock on how a press release gave the expectation of something more, and I was sadly let down by it

Everyone clear on where I stand now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Ph3n0m wrote:
    You see this is what the problem is. I am not begrudging what he has done wherever he has wrestled nor what he was asked to do with WWE.

What I am giving out about is that for the hype that surrounded this - he didnt actually wrestle, that is my problem. As a wrestling fan for many years, I watched RAW and I put myself in the mindset of the casual fan - and to be honest SOS was just another namesless indy wrestler who HHH pedigreed.

This is in no way meant to be a knock on SOS and his wrestling skills - this is a knock on how a press release gave the expectation of something more, and I was sadly let down by it

Everyone clear on where I stand now?

yea isnt that what everyone that is giving out about it is giving out about-the hype

Ph3n0m wrote:
    What I am giving out about is that for the hype that surrounded this - he didnt actually wrestle, that is my problem.

Can't remember the press release completely but it said something like he was booked for 2 days in Manchester (that happened) and he didn't know what was in store but fingers crossed.

The "hype" was spun out by people in the media taking the above information and running with it. In the Fighting Spirit magazine last week he said something like "I don't know what they (WWE) have in store but whatever they throw at me I'm going to really go for it."

irishhack wrote:
    Can't remember the press release completely but it said something like he was booked for 2 days in Manchester (that happened) and he didn't know what was in store but fingers crossed.

The "hype" was spun out by people in the media taking the above information and running with it. In the Fighting Spirit magazine last week he said something like "I don't know what they (WWE) have in store but whatever they throw at me I'm going to really go for it."

The press release is on the first page of this thread - that is what my posts have been based on.

Hey Sheamus has posted up his opinions on his 2 days in the WWE:

http://www.sosofficial.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82

What do you make of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

I was in the building for Raw,it got a great pop live,the "security" just came out by our row,could see em gettin small pep talk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Looks like he got his Tryout on the Tuesday

"Tuesday was more relaxed and I got my chance to showcase my stuff in the ring with Drew Galloway. It was a strange experience with a majority of the WWE wrestlers at ringside with one of them mentioning I was the whitest man he had ever seen and that if I looked like the most token Irish man he had ever seen. The story of my life but I'll never complain. Afterwards I got some great feedback from the man himself Mr Finlay"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

The video of Raw is up on Sos' website. Theres a link to it on his home page for those of you who were looking to see it again.

is that sheamus's publicist acting as security also putting his arm around HHH at the start of that video??? ha ha funny s**t!! the wwe must have been stuck for bodies that night

it seems that Sheamus wasn't the only person from camp SOS jobbing for the wwe that night going by a quote over on the sos message board. 'The Publicist' that iww were ragging on in THAT infamous press release was on the show too. THE PLOT THICKENS!!!!!!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

??? wats a publicist doin in a wrestling ring? kinda cheapens the hole thing then doesn it? we're trying to big up a legitimate irish wrestler who got tv time and then his publicist gets in there too?? its all gone a bit p diddy hasnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Gerard.C wrote:
    Fair play to him.

Absolutely

• Advertisement
Advertisement