Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Doors

Options
  • 07-10-2006 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just finishing up a few bits and pieces in the house and as we don't really intend using the attic for storage we probably won't go for a Stira or similar but we want to put some kind of a really well insulated door in two attic openings. Any suggestions? Buy or make one up? We have really well insulated the house and don't want these doors to be causing draughts etc.

All ideas and comments welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

The Fakro attic ladder has a insulated lid, thin but the stira has/had none. Thye are also only about €120, so I still think you should have one for access or maintenance. Otherwise what about a 100mm slab of Xtratherm glued to your attic lid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

I would agree that you should put at least one stira type access, you just never know. You mightn't use it for storage now, but in the future...
    if the hatch ladder hasn't got built in insulation you will have to make a 5 sided box out of the Xtra therm to allow you to fold up the stairs. The polyuretane (?) foam in a can should be strong enough to keep it together, but you could also reinforce it with a frame of 2x1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Qwerty? wrote:
    Otherwise what about a 100mm slab of Xtratherm glued to your attic lid?

This is exactly what I did together with a bit of draught excluder where the lid sits down.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Thanks guys for your advice. You know I think you are all correct in saying we should put in a stire or folding stairs. Any idea Querty where you can get that Fakro one please? I think for the other one downstairs in the single storey section we will use insulated plaster board and draught excluders. Thanks for your advice. Any more suggestions please keep them coming!

Any hardware store should stock one. There is a cheaper version called Access, but it's the exact same make, just branded differently. Where u based?

• Advertisement

Qwerty we are based in Co Kildare. Does the access one come with a hatch and is it insulated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

The Dolle attic ladder system comes with built in polystyrene insulated lid and a rubber gasket seal all around. Seems to be a more robust ladder than the Stira too. I had one fitted recently for Eur 100 less than the Stira one.

Superior Attic Ladders based in Limerick supply and fit for Eur 390 in Mid West region.

Thanks a mill Bowsie! Appreciate that. Will check out the Dolle model. Was it easy to fit?

Qwerty we are based in Co Kildare. Does the access one come with a hatch and is it insulated?

The lid is insulated, the frame is quite lightweight, but for occasional 'access' to the attic, it is fine. Same model is here http://www.atticstairsus.com/htmle/5.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Builderwoman,
    I had it fit by Superior Attic Ladders based in Limerick. Stairs and fit for 390 Eur. Wouldn't tackle it myself, but thats me....

• Advertisement
Advertisement