Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

99 Avensis centrol locking problem help

Options
  • 07-10-2006 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

My friends avensis is having problems locking his car. It locks ok with remote but unlocks its self after about 20 to 30 seconds. Has tried other key but still the same thing happens. Any ideas what is wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Does the same thing happen if he locks it by turning the key in the door barrell?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maybe battery is low. Some systems open doors before battery goes flat to avoid you being locked out.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    Maybe battery is low. Some systems open doors before battery goes flat to avoid you being locked out.
    Unlikely. All cars have a mechanical means of being unlocked. Usually with a key - or a key that is hidden in the remote fob. On some models (VW, Renault, Nissan) you have to remove a plastic trim to gain access to the key barrell.

EDIT: However, some cars ignore the remote central locking command when the battery is low - the current Audi A6 is an example. But this is a recent innovation and unlikely to be standard on a 99 Avensis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Possibly a wiring short in the loom where the door opens, down by the check strap, I've seen it happen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

jhud wrote:
    My friends avensis is having problems locking his car. It locks ok with remote but unlocks its self after about 20 to 30 seconds. Has tried other key but still the same thing happens. Any ideas what is wrong.

The "receiver" is gone or else the solenoid in one of the doors, probably drivers. Bring it to your toyota dealer and have it replaced.

• Advertisement

It does sound like a problem with one of the door locks. I imagine that a diagnostic check would pinpoint the defective lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

crosstownk wrote:
    It does sound like a problem with one of the door locks. I imagine that a diagnostic check would pinpoint the defective lock.

On a 99 Avensis?

The Avensis has a feature whereby if you unlock the car, but fail to open a door with 20/30 seconds it relocks. I don't know if it is possible, and can't see how it is, but perhaps the timer has changed its work practices slightly, and now unlocks rather than locks.

IIRC the 99 Avensis has a barrel on the passenger side. Does using this make any difference?

I know its possible to pinpoint a faulty door lock on some models of this year. Not too sure about a Toyota tho. I know that VW/Audi (and others) have self diagnosis for the central locking and that the actuators can be tested via a diagnoisis computer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Does he "Double Lock" the door???
    If he doesn't get him to press the button twice till he hears the locks clicking twice and it should stay locked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

jonny24ie wrote:
    Does he "Double Lock" the door???
    If he doesn't get him to press the button twice till he hears the locks clicking twice and it should stay locked!!

Deadlocks were only fitted from the 01 facelift.

• Advertisement
Advertisement