Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulbs in containers-what to do now?

Options
  • 07-10-2006 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

For the first time I planted some Anemone, Gladiolus, Four leaf clover, and Stargazer bulbs in containers this spring and they grew and flowered very nicely this summer. Now they are dead what should I do with the foliage and will they come back again next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

All bulbs leaves must be allowed a minimum of six weeks after flowering to die down. If the bulbs leaves are naturally allowed to die back then they will be aided in creating the energy for next years flowering. Of course you can always remove the leaves when they have become dried up and come away with a light pull. Much like what a strong breeze would do in nature.

I always advise to feed your bulbs just as the blooms have faded with a granular bulb fertiliser applied around the bulbs stems base. You can still do this now altough it may not be as effective. This is the most important feed they will recieve. Ensure this feed has a higher potassium or potash content than nitrogen content.

I have found that bulbs in containers tend to bloom poorly after a year or two. If you wish they can be transferred to open soil when their foliage has disappeared.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement