Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low level drafts

Options
  • 07-10-2006 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

In a new house, what would cause low-level drafts? Even in mild weather it is noticeable up to about two feet above floor level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Draughts possibly coming from under the doors? Are your windows above the draughts?

When I moved into my current house I had a draught at the same height in my kitchen. I traced it to the kitchen door. Once I fitted a draught excluder all was well.

A certain amoung of draughting is necessary for adequate ventilation so be sure not to seal up too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

We had the same thing for ages when we first moved into our new build last year, the living room just would not hold any heat for a decent length of time.

There were a few drafts coming from the walls, and I traced the problem to the fact that the plasterboard didn't go down the full length down the wall to the concrete floor, so there was a gap behind the skirting board that let the air straight in from the cavity.

I fixed it with a few tins of the expanding foam; removed the skirting boards and squirted it into the gaps. Worked a treat, even though it was a good bit of work.

Hope that helps.

B.

Advertisement