Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

acne/bad skin - who to see??

• 07-10-2006 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

I'm really fed up - nearly 30 and I still get whiteheads and spots, in spite of eating so healthily. I must be using the wrong skinkare products (I currently use Vichy Normaderm).

Since I've never been to a dermatologist to analyse what type of skin type I have, I was thinking this might be a good idea. Or would a trip to a beautician be the same?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I can imagine a dermatologist being of a hell of a lot more assistance than a beautician. Not to say a beautician would be useless or anything, but surely acne is not a beauty/appearance issue, it's a health issue. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Bateman wrote:
    I can imagine a dermatologist being of a hell of a lot more assistance than a beautician. Not to say a beautician would be useless or anything, but surely acne is not a beauty/appearance issue, it's a health issue. :confused:

Ok, well I guess sb would say that. It's just I have no experience. I didn't really think, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Get a recommendation off your GP for a dermatologist.
    I went to a dermatologist in the Blackrock Clinic (Dr. Walsh iirc)when I was younger, great doctor and did his job right as I haven't had a spot since.
    That said, I was put on a 6 month course of roaccutane, whether you're willing to take that risk is up to you. I'd highly recommend it but there are quite a lot of side affects associated with it.

rb_ie wrote:
    Get a recommendation off your GP for a dermatologist.
    I went to a dermatologist in the Blackrock Clinic (Dr. Walsh iirc)when I was younger, great doctor and did his job right as I haven't had a spot since.
    That said, I was put on a 6 month course of roaccutane, whether you're willing to take that risk is up to you. I'd highly recommend it but there are quite a lot of side affects associated with it.

thanks for the recommendation. I'm not sure my acne is so bad to merit taking medication - o hope not at least. I just have a few stubborn whiteheads that when I squeeze little white worms come out of. No matter how often I squeeze them there'll be more back a couple of days after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

www.4men.ie has a very good skincare range, the Zirh blemish control stuff is meant to be very good for breakouts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

rb_ie wrote:

I got offered the same thin by my GP, but for the moment have turned it down because of the side-effects.

Your recommendation has made me think again though...Hmmmm...! Decisions decisions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Are you male or female?
    The pill has done wonders for my skin.

Pythia wrote:
    Are you male or female?
    The pill has done wonders for my skin.

I am male.

Definetely considering getting these now, I've wiki'd roaccutane and the problems with it seem to be very rare, and any problems associated with it seem to be relatively unproven.

I'll gve my GP a ring tomorrow and organize a meeting, I'm due a check-up anyway ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Roaccutane is generally considered the last line of defence, they'll put you on something milder first. I went to my GP there a month and a half ago because I was sick of being a pizza face and she prescribed me some Minocin and I haven't had a whitehead since. Which is pretty amazing really, I used to wake up with at least 4 of them every morning.

But yeah, go to a GP or a dermatologist and get some antibiotics. Good luck.

Jeebus wrote:
    I am male.

Definetely considering getting these now, I've wiki'd roaccutane and the problems with it seem to be very rare, and any problems associated with it seem to be relatively unproven.

I'll gve my GP a ring tomorrow and organize a meeting, I'm due a check-up anyway ! :D
    There have been some severe cases where the side affects hit people hard, but as you said, they are rare.
    The real problem with the drug is that theres no telling how it's going to affect you, it seems to affect everyone differently but the majority of people only get the small side effects. Personally I only got dry lips but found my skin very sensitive to the sun afterwards also, which isn't a problem anymore though.

The dermatologist monitors you quite strictly, and just follow their directions if you do end up being on a course of it.

• Advertisement

Umaro wrote:
    Roaccutane is generally considered the last line of defence, they'll put you on something milder first. I went to my GP there a month and a half ago because I was sick of being a pizza face and she prescribed me some Minocin and I haven't had a whitehead since. Which is pretty amazing really, I used to wake up with at least 4 of them every morning.

But yeah, go to a GP or a dermatologist and get some antibiotics. Good luck.

Great, thanks a lot :D I'll let you know how I get on ! :)

Edit :
    rb_ie wrote:
    There have been some severe cases where the side affects hit people hard, but as you said, they are rare.
    The real problem with the drug is that theres no telling how it's going to affect you, it seems to affect everyone differently but the majority of people only get the small side effects. Personally I only got dry lips but found my skin very sensitive to the sun afterwards also, which isn't a problem anymore though.

The dermatologist monitors you quite strictly, and just follow their directions if you do end up being on a course of it.

Sounds good, we'll see how it goes ! Dry lips would be great for me anyway ! I've always grown up with extremely moistish kinda lips. Since I was about 8 I've been asked a lot if I'm wearing lipstick ! :)

Thanks a lot for all the tips and info again guys :)

Jeebus wrote:
    Great, thanks a lot :D I'll let you know how I get on ! :)

Edit :

Sounds good, we'll see how it goes ! Dry lips would be great for me anyway ! I've always grown up with extremely moistish kinda lips. Since I was about 8 I've been asked a lot if I'm wearing lipstick ! :)

Thanks a lot for all the tips and info again guys :)

In my case, I would really be against taking any antibiotics. It's more of a simple question of the right skincare regime.

As for the pill, wouldn't go near it, too many dangerous side effects!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

TBH, I've been on Roaccutane, and I still have crap skin and quite a few spots at any given time. And you know what, it makes not difference. You're probably just going to have to live with your spots - I've tried virtually every treatment and none of them fully clears them.

Fact is, if you don't care about them, most people won't notice unless they're really bad. So just keep your hands away from your face, wash your face at least twice a day, and get on with life!

Calling a dermatologist tomorrow to find out my real skin type. Have heard from a friend this is the best thing to do. Need to know what is the right skin regime to follow!

thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

esperanza wrote:
    In my case, I would really be against taking any antibiotics. It's more of a simple question of the right skincare regime.

The antibiotics you would take are nothing like the kind you get for an infection. I was on these for a few years with no problems.
    The pill is very safe to take. Millions of women worldwide take it.
    Unfortunately without taking prescribed medication you're unlikely to get great results. It takes stronger stuff to nuke this kind of thing.

Pythia wrote:
    The antibiotics you would take are nothing like the kind you get for an infection. I was on these for a few years with no problems.
    The pill is very safe to take. Millions of women worldwide take it.
    Unfortunately without taking prescribed medication you're unlikely to get great results. It takes stronger stuff to nuke this kind of thing.

Well, I've rarely had to take antibiotics, I avoid them at all cost in fact. And I certainly wouldn't go near the Pill. Why would you want to interfere with the natural bodily processes? It's just a pure waste of money! Can't see pills changing my skin: exercise, change of diet, the right skincare products perhaps, but ain't swallowing any synthethic stuff.

esperanza wrote:
    Can't see pills changing my skin: exercise, change of diet, the right skincare products perhaps, but ain't swallowing any synthethic stuff.

Well, given your age your spots should have disappeared naturally and the above methods really only work for some people.
    Best off speaking to a dermatologist anyway, to get it sorted out sooner rather than later (since you seem to be unhappy about it).

Best of luck regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I was prescribed roaccutane (15 years ago) and it sorted out my problem pretty damned rapid. It's not the most pleasant experience, though, there's a lot of skin-flaking and little problems. And for sure, it has to be carefully monitored. It is important that you follow the doctor's advice and try all the antibiotics type solutions first.

One other thing to look at is your diet. I have no idea what you eat. But if you eat a lot of greasy food, that is probably an issue that it would be good to look at first.

Best of luck getting rid of your spots!

Well, I've an appointment with a dermatologist on Friday. I hope she'll be able to analyse my skin properly and find the best solution that suits me! I shall keep you posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

It's usually a straight forward thing...

Start with topical stuff (creams etc) -> try antibiotics (at this stage most people will be clear of spots) -> roaccutane (for persistent and bad enough acne)...

Anti-bis cleared mine, and most people I know well enough. The trick is going on them soon enough so you don't get scarring etc. from acne.

Really saddens me when I see people with uncontrolled acne, who haven't started taking meds for it, and are bound to end up with scarring!

Just do it!

• Advertisement

chump wrote:
    It's usually a straight forward thing...

Start with topical stuff (creams etc) -> try antibiotics (at this stage most people will be clear of spots) -> roaccutane (for persistent and bad enough acne)...

Anti-bis cleared mine, and most people I know well enough. The trick is going on them soon enough so you don't get scarring etc. from acne.

Really saddens me when I see people with uncontrolled acne, who haven't started taking meds for it, and are bound to end up with scarring!

Just do it!

Well, you have to be sure it's acne first, that's why I'm getting my skin type analysed at the dermatologist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

I feel your pain dude, i had perfect skin til i was'bout 19, im now 22 and its still bad. Check out acne.org. Some great advice there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭katiemac

I attended Dr Nicholas Walsh in the Blackrock Clinic and he was very good. I would definately recommend him. I am not sure about a Beautician. :D

Well, I've seen a dermatologist and turns out I have greasy skin with blocked pores on my T-zone, so some mild acne... apart from that I have wonderful skin apparently. All these blocked pores are only noticeable when looking really close up. I've been prescribed the proper skincare products for my skin and, according to EVM, these should work wonders, especially considering the mild form of my problem. I just regret that I didn't do all this sooner!!

Will have to wait 6 weeks before any noticeable results, if they don't work will have to take antibiotics or the pill. (hope it doesn't come to that)

PS Good news is that people with greasy skin get fewer wrinkles. Hurrah for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

esperanza wrote:

Couldnt agree more.
    I was using clinique three step for ages and my skin was still crap.So last month I got a facial and the beautician told me what I was doing wrong. She gave me these great elmeis products and now my skin loooks great!
    Would only ever use drugs as a last resort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bruce.cavallari

I was reading about the side effects at http://naturalacnetreatment.anosen.com someone pm'd me with it the other day! I never came across it on google when I did a search about a week ago! lol

Advertisement