Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB / Phone Bundles from 9th October

Options
  • 07-10-2006 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

I called Eircom today to see how much a 3MB BB service with line rental and unlimited calls day or night 32 counties was and was told that on 9th October it will be a special bundle package for Eur 59.99 a month all in . Anyone know anything about this ?? Its cheaper slightly than BT's Eur 63 for the same thing. I cant find it on Eircom's website to make sure its correct information that I was given.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

BT includes UK calls aswell.
    TBH, I can't see them doing it. Their 3meg BB is €48.40 and their talktime anytime including line rental is €39.99. Thats a total of €88.39. I doubt they'll drop by nearly €30 to €59.99. But you'd never know...pigs flying and all that.:)
    May be they meant their 1meg or 2meg BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

or he meant it excluding line rental

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

or maybe he could of been talking absolute complete bull****, come on now this is the most reasonable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

I will have to call again or wait until the 9th to see if they introduce it. Proberbly was too good to be true but we will see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dellas wrote:
    I will have to call again or wait until the 9th to see if they introduce it. Proberbly was too good to be true but we will see.

You can see for yourself right now that they are fairly CRAP (albeit better than whats there now) if you look here.

Expect very large scale winback activity nationwide and expect plenty of lies and misrepresentation about these products coming to yoru doorstep any day now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Hi Guys,

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/pending.pdf

Scroll down 4 pages of the PDF. the €59.99 is for TalkTime anytime + 2mB BBand. That is - "eircom broadband home plus + Talktime Anytime".

Still cheaper than both seperately anyway.

Cheers
    Aidan

Hi thats great thanks for that , well its a great deal for me as I make loads of calls to the North and that always put my bills high!! Now if I can get broadband ( i will know for sure next week ) I will sign up the day I get connected. 2MB is fine for me. Also I see you get free month of line rental and Broadband and a free wireless router, not bad at all.

BT prices are even better on a like for like basis and you can use the phone during the day (not offpeak) and call any UK landline not just in the north.

and there IS no 3mbit bundle from what I see , the €59.99 one is a 2mbit bundle is it not . Mindya it was 512k for €54.45 a month +NO line rental or calls included a few years ago .

Yeah its 2MB not 3 but thats fine for me . Im not making any calls to England so the North/South anytime of day or night with Eircom would suit me . I also think that if im not making a mega saving then i may aswell stay with Eircom in case of any problems. They are more likely to look after their own customers before comming out to BT customers from my experience.

• Advertisement

The only thing that puts me off BT is that we have BT BB at our office and we have been having terrible trouble with download speeds the last 2 weeks and nothing seems to be being done about it

Its probably the eircom line or a dodgy modem maybe not the BT network , if it were BT then every customer of theirs would be giving out about them ..or every customer in the North Dublin area or some discernible pattern like that .

Having said that their CS is pretty dodge :(

We have a Eircom back up and switched it over and it worked fine so there must be something wrong , well they know there is anyway caus they called us .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    BT prices are even better on a like for like basis and you can use the phone during the day (not offpeak) and call any UK landline not just in the north.

and there IS no 3mbit bundle from what I see , the €59.99 one is a 2mbit bundle is it not . Mindya it was 512k for €54.45 a month +NO line rental or calls included a few years ago .

Hi Bob,

U say "and you can use the phone during the day (not offpeak)", have a look at the PDF File on the page I mentioned above. The €59.99 bundle includes "eircom broadband home plus + Talktime Anytime". Talktime Anytime is 24/7 local and national, you can use the phone during the day.

Have a look here:
    http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0881265469.1160338112@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddjdfkgiedcefeceiedffndffg.0&cid=TalktimeMoreInfoRes&site=Res&chanId=-536885161

Scroll down - according to Eircom blurb here - "Do you love the idea of making unlimited local and national calls anytime of the day or night, for a fixed monthly rate? eircom talktime anytime gives you the freedom to do just that"

Cheers
    Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

aidanodr wrote:
    The €59.99 bundle includes "eircom broadband home plus + Talktime Anytime". Talktime Anytime is 24/7 local and national, you can use the phone during the day.
    Or you can save €5 ad get it from BT, who include calls to the UK, not just NI.

It's also interesting to note that calls to 076 numbers are NOT free with eircom talktime.

I would love a rate that would give free EU calls also then I would be sorted!!! Wouldnt mind paying another 5 or 10 Euro a month for that.

shockin competitive for eircom Aidan

it was €40 for talktime anytime and €54 for 2mbits and €24.20 for line rental in January this year, now its half that :eek: ????? BT musta been murdering them all summer .

Be very careful though , they can unilaterally cancel the voice bit if you overuse it (in their opinion) and hold you to the BB and LR bundle (only) STILL at €59.99 a month but you pay for all calls everywhere .

Did you 'notice' that at all Aidan and whaddaya think anyway ????

Hi Bob,

First off - me no big lover of Eircom nor am I affiliated or never have been affiliated to them in any way. Unfortunately I was one of the poor Saps who got dumped off of Smart as I was a voice only client with them. SO - at the mo I have a few days to switch to another voice service.

I currently have and have had for the last 2 years or so the Eircom BBand. At the time - where I am [ Carrigaline, Co. Cork ] - I didnt have much choice. Plus, at the time I had a dialup anytime package which they offered to switch to BBand at the same price, so I took it.

With Smart my fortunes on their BBand package were not good as our exchange here in Carrig was not setup [ Yet ] for Smart.

So here I find myself as a Voice Nomad once more - for the mo I am transferring BACK to Eircom and see what happens in the future. I dont particularly like same, but the choice of non VOIP isnt that huge either in price or selection. The arguments about all the above have been trashed in other threads.

I run a small business from home [ Web related ]. During this year the whole of Carrigaline was out BBand wise - for a month. It was an exchange issue locally and at Churchfield. Businesses inc mine suffered, but at least due to me being with Eircom for BBand I could complain to them without being brushed off with 'Sorry you are with BT' etc as happened to neighbours.

"Did you 'notice' that at all Aidan and whaddaya think anyway ????"

I refer you to the bit above about not too much real choice in Irish Telco's [ non voip ]. This is now exasperated even further due to the Smart situation. Any new competition now will find it extremely difficult to move in on the market and get customers, who will now be afraid to move again. I reckon most of the 45000 Smart customers cut off will go back to Eircom Im afraid.

To be frank the overall opinion will be "I dont need this type of hastle in my life right now, too much other stuff on". AND "No one ever got fired for purchasing [ HP, IBM, Eircom ]". Unfortunately this is prevelent in the market place.Trusty old Eircom eh :)

The small print is in all of the contracts. As was noted in todays Sunday Business Post " If you want to research more info on bband or telephone packages, the operators websites are hit and miss - but mostly miss. Regrettably, none of them provides all relevant pricing, delivery details and installation information. Moreover several are difficult to navigate" etc etc. This is just more of it.

In a word the whole telecomms business in this country is in a shambles and is a dirty business to be involved in. Right now no matter which way you go the consumer is the loser. This until Comreg get teeth [ never ], the Government gets its head out of big businesses A**E [ never ], Eircom are forced to relinquish the copper cable and / or the last mile [ never ].

Sorry for the long winded reply,
    Aidan

and there are business talktime packages coming in soon as well, further down in that doc .

I know how you feel so I do, stuck between a rock and eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Do these call bundles really make any sense in comparison to cheapie call providers like 13434?

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    and there are business talktime packages coming in soon as well, further down in that doc .

I know how you feel so I do, stuck between a rock and eircom

Yip, no doubt the only real difference will be the same price EX VAT.

Possibly even dearer and offer lower if any contention rates and or higher speeds.

I get this most weeks from clients - "Our BBand failed, Eircom told us their is no service contract with BBand, they may get out within 48 hours ... maybe, really you should get a leased line" [ Cha, Ching ... till noises please ]

As you said - stuck between a rock and eircom

Cheers
    Aidan

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Be very careful though , they can unilaterally cancel the voice bit if you overuse it (in their opinion) and hold you to the BB and LR bundle (only) STILL at €59.99 a month but you pay for all calls everywhere .

What would be deemed as over use??? 24/7 or 10 hours a day etc.....

really Aidan, you should get a wireless backup if you need the BB that much. I must confess I had not heard of this 1 month DSL outage in Carrigaline , did Comreg have any view on it ....be it good, bad, awful or just Comreg .

overuse Dellas , God knows.

Bob,

Look up Carrigaline here under BBand [ search ] - lots about it at the time. I got a full page article with my big huge head :) in the business section of The Examiner [ Boy! ] when it all happened, heading the attack, end of day nothing done and we got charged for it all the same, no refund mentioned or offered. As I said we the customer are screwed and really cannot do much. Defeatist I know, but fed up with fighting city hall and wasting time on same :(

Aidan

The new packages are on the Eircom website today . I think I will be going with the Eur 59.99 bundle with free 1 months line rental and free wireless router.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Gotta love their wording. "Unlimited monthly usage", then when you select to get more info they tell you of the 10/20gb download limit. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i rang eircom on friday about getting upgraded to the 2 meg broadband and there was no mention of this deal so i rang back today and went for the €59.99 option , shame there is no 3 meg bundle .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Don't forget, when you go for the bundle option the contract is 12 months not 6 as it would be with BB on it's own.
    The Facility is subject to a minimum 12 month contract period. The contract period
    will be deemed to commence on the initial bill date for the purposes of this
    paragraph, the Initial Bill Date shall be date on which the company applies this
    Facility to the customer’s account.

Well 12 months is not bad for the price of the bundle and what you get for it . One month free line rental and a free wireless router worth Eur99!!! If you go for BT they dont give you either even though they may be slightly cheaper.

• Advertisement

A free WIRELESS router is a poisoned chalice for most urban non techies Dellas, a free wired router is not :p .

BT only offer a single port (usb and ethernet) router and it must go back to them when the contract is over , I think buying it is €80 and it certainly closes the price gap between the over a 12 month contract as you pointed out.

Also note eircom do charge if you go over the cap (not always but if they reckon you are tearing the arse out of it they may ) and that an unsecured wireless router is one way to end up with a very very large bill , and it has happened. :D

Dunno what the standard configuration is , the wifi may be shut down unless you enable it for example.

Advertisement