Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit and Veg

Options
  • 07-10-2006 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Hi what's the best place to get fresh fruit and veg in dublin city centre (dublin 1 and 2) with regard to value (quality and price).

I find the main supermarkets - dunnes, superquinn, tesco - very expensive. It's easy to spot the really dodgy fruit (rotten ones etc) but I wouldn't call the quality spectacular.

Places I'm considering are the place on nassau street (very expensive), moore street (cheap but is the stuff good quality), tops and pops gardener street (not sure) and the market place near exchequer street (expensive but cool).

When's the best time to buy on Moore street? Any particular day or time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hi what's the best place to get fresh fruit and veg in dublin city centre (dublin 1 and 2) with regard to value (quality and price).

I find the main supermarkets - dunnes, superquinn, tesco - very expensive. It's easy to spot the really dodgy fruit (rotten ones etc) but I wouldn't call the quality spectacular.

Places I'm considering are the place on nassau street (very expensive), moore street (cheap but is the stuff good quality), tops and pops gardener street (not sure) and the market place near exchequer street (expensive but cool).

When's the best time to buy on Moore street? Any particular day or time?
    The freshest place to go would be the Fruit and Vegetable market but the main disadvantage is buying in bulk, - i.e. a box of apples, bag of turnips etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Sorry where is this market? near smithfield?

Sorry where is this market? near smithfield?
    It's the network of streets to the west of Capel Street - Mary's Lane, Green Street, Little Britain Street, Halston Street etc. It opens at 4 or 5 am depending on the company. There is no VAT on fruit and Veg so technically anyone can buy there but some places have a minimun level e.g. €200. Try Keelings or McManus's. (There is also the Corporation vegetable market in Mary's Lane but I've never had any dealings with it.)

I'll go and check it out but I'm only after a few cheap apples :)

I'll go and check it out but I'm only after a few cheap apples :)
    Keelings on Little Green Street then, but you will have to buy a box of them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ifoldb4dflop

caterway on green st beside the court house have good quality products and no min buy
    yu can get
    5 apples
    1 orange
    and anything else you are looking for
    Cheap

ok. i'll give that a shot.

went up to moore street got some stuff was grand.

Advertisement