Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Re Registering UK-IRL-UK

Options
  • 07-10-2006 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭

If a UK registered vehicle is imported into Ireland and registered here and then, subsequently transferred back to the UK, is it assigned it's original UK number or is it assigned the next appropriate number? If it is assigned a different number, does the original number 'die' or can it be reused?

The reason I ask is that one of my employers regularly transfers some of his UK fleet to Ireland and registers them here. Occasionally, after several months, they are sent back to the UK. Their original UK plates are usually in the cab and I was just wondering if they get these numbers back again.

This does not affect me in any way. I'm just curious! :) Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Plums

A friend of mine got her same old Derry plate back after moving back from DL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

If a UK registered vehicle is imported into Ireland and registered here and then, subsequently transferred back to the UK, is it assigned it's original UK number or is it assigned the next appropriate number? If it is assigned a different number, does the original number 'die' or can it be reused?

The reason I ask is that one of my employers regularly transfers some of his UK fleet to Ireland and registers them here. Occasionally, after several months, they are sent back to the UK. Their original UK plates are usually in the cab and I was just wondering if they get these numbers back again.

I've also wondered the same thing! Although I used to wonder about having a car with an old Irish plates, then registering it in another country, and then bringing it back to Ireland and registering it here again, would you gewt the original old plate or get a post-1987 type plate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The VRT office must love this guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The VRT office must love this guy!
    I think it's a flat fee of €50 for commercial vehicles (but I'm open to correction).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think it's a flat fee of €50 for commercial vehicles (but I'm open to correction).
    That makes more sense. I was thinking that, if it were a passenger car, then it'd make a very good buy for one of us when it was sold again in the UK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement