Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite quotes/lines

Options
  • 08-10-2006 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I'm using quotes for an art thing I'm doing and wondering if anyone can help me out and post some of the ones they like from either books or their autors, whatever...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Here's one i read yesterday from Haruki Murakami's "Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman"

"I sometimes think that people's hearts are like deep wells. Nobody knows what's at the bottom. All you can do is guess from what comes floating to the surface every once in a while".

I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

They think that they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. - Pádraig Pearse, oration at the funeral of Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

A few of my favourites:

The Things they Carried

"They were flying. The weights fell off; there was nothing to bear. They laughed and held on tight, feeling the cold slap of wind and altitude, soaring, thinking It's over, I'm gone! - they were naked. They were light and free-it was all lightness, bright and fast and buoyant, light as light, a helium buzz in the brain, a giddy bubbling in the lungs as they were taken up over the Clouds and the war, beyond duty, beyond gravity and mortification anti global entanglements -Sin loi! They yelled, I'm sorry, mother****ers, but I'm out of it, I'm goofed, I'm on a space cruise, I'm gone! -and it was a restful, disencumbered sensation, just riding the fight waves, sailing; that big silver freedom bird over the mountains and oceans, over America, over the farms and great sleeping cities and cemeteries and highways and the Golden Arches of McDonald's. It flight, a kind of fleeing, a kind of falling, falling higher and higher, spinning off the edge of the earth and beyond the sun and through the vast, silent vacuum where there were no burdens and where everything weighed exactly nothing. Gone! they screamed, I'm sorry but I'm gone! And so at night, not quite dreaming, they gave themselves over to lightness, they were carried, they were purely borne."

Le Petit Prince

It's only with the heart that one can see clearly. What's essential, is invisible to the eye.

"People have stars, but they aren't the same. For travelers, the stars are guides. For other people, they're nothing but tiny lights. And for still others, for scholars, they're problems. For my businessman, they were gold. But all those stars are silent stars. You, though, you'll have stars like nobody else."

"What do you mean?"

"When you look up at the sky at night, since I'll be living on one of them, since I'll be laughing on one of them, for you, it'll be as if all the stars are laughing. You'll have stars that can laugh!"

And he laughed again.

"And when you're consoled (everyone is eventually consoled), you'll be glad you've known me. You'll always be my friend. You'll feel like laughing with me. And you'll open your windows sometimes just for the fun of it... And your friends will be amazed to see you laughing while you're looking up at the sky. Then you'll tell them, 'Yes, it's the stars. They always make me laugh!"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

"So it goes" - Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.

WO Paul Brenner. The General's Daughter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

" An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind. " - Gandi

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

"... because truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself."

Herman Melville, Moby Dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!

-Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest-

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius...

-Arthur Conan Doyle, The Valley of Fear-

The sound of a kiss is not so loud as that of a cannon, but its echo lasts a deal longer.

-Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Professor at the Breakfast Table-

Love is a great beautifier.

-Louisa May Alcott, Little Women-

Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts.

-Charles Dickens, Great Expectations-

The yoke a man creates for himself by wrong-doing will breed hate in the kindliest nature

-George Eliot, Silas Marner-

Dark, dark! The horror of darkness, like a shroud, wraps me and bears me on through mist and cloud.

-Sophocles, Oedipus Rex-

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

"I am just going outside and may be some time." - Captain Oates, when he committed suicide so that the rest of his team may have lived to make it back from the pole..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Quote:JJOyce

Welocme O life, i go to encounter for the millionth the reality of experience and forge in the smity of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race

wink.gif

user_online.gif progress.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

"To hell with luck. I'll bring the luck with me."

"Everything about him was old except his eyes and they were the same color as the sea and were cheerful and undefeated."

Ernest Hemmingway - The Old Man And The Sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.
    Tully: Why did you send your stuff to us?
    Henry: Well, I liked the title of the mag. It boggled my scrotum.
    Tully: Why don't you stop drinking? Anybody can be a drunk.
    Henry: Anybody can be a non-drunk. It takes a special talent to be a drunk. It takes endurance. Endurance is more important than truth.
    And as my hands drop the last desperate pen, in some cheap room, they will find me there and never know my name, my meaning, nor the treasure of my escape.
    Henry: [To his own bloody face as reflected in the bathroom mirror] Nothing but the dripping sink. Empty bottle. Euphoria. Youth fenced in, stabbed and shaved. Taut words propped up to die
    Eddie: "You got lucky last night, I had the flu."
    Henry: "What's it gonna be next time, the AIDS?"

All from the film Barfly written by Charles Bukowski, a legend, based on events that happened to him in his life. Damn good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

"All things be ready, if our minds be so". Henry V

"The rest is silence". Hamlet

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

"" I guess it's hard for people who are so used to things the way they are - even if they're bad - to change. 'Cause they kind of give up. And when they do, everybody kind of loses. ""

Trevor - Pay It Forward

"" I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday. ""

Lester Burnham - American Beauty

"" It's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself. ""

Lester Burnham - American Beauty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

"Sometimes I feel the past and future pressing so hard on both sides that there's hardly any room for the present at all."

Julia, Brideshead Revisited

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some of my own favourites

"There is a tide in the affairs of men,
    Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
    Omitted, all the voyage of their life
    Is bound in shallows and in miseries."

Julius Caesar

"Thus conscience doth make cowards of us all,
    And thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought;
    And enterprises of great pith and moment,
    With this regard, their currents turn awry
    And lose the name of action."

Hamlet

"Whoever you are - I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."

A Streetcar Named Desire -Tennessee Williams

"You're Wha?"

The Snapper Roddy Doyle

"There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven. ......."

Ecclesiastes 3:1-15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Some gems from Bret Easton Ellis's Glamorama...

"Ask the vampire to take off his ****ing sunglasses," I snarl. "Spare me, man."
    "I will not tolerate being called a vampire, Victor," Peyton pouts.
    "What? You tolerate being sodomized but not being called Dracula in jest? Am I on the same planet? Let's move on."

"Hey baby, chill out. I met a friend of yours. That should soothe you-"
    "I'm dating an imbecile and I should be soothed by this?"
    A long pause, then, "Baby, I'm not an imbecile. You're very cool."

"Do you think I'm actually being stalked?" I ask. "Wait - how cool."

I'm just staring at nothing or what I imagine is nothing until I'm finally moved to say, "As a general rule you shouldn't expect too much from people, darling," and then I kiss her on the cheek.
    "I just had my makeup done, so you can't make me cry."

"I am so tired of looking at that empty expanse that's supposed to be your face-"

"A smart suit," she sighs. "Being buff. A cool haircut. Worrying about whether people think you're famous enough or cool enough or in good enough shape or . . . or whatever." She sighs, gives up, stares at the ceiling. "These are not signs of wisdom, Victor," she says. "This is the bad planet."

She waves me away. "Animals need as much love and respect and care as we give people."
    I consider this. I think about all the things I've seen and done, and I consider this.
    "I think they're better off without that, baby," I say. "In fact I think they're doing okay."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

is_that_so wrote:
    "There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven. ......."

Ecclesiastes 3:1-15
    Actually its
    God wrote:
    3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
    3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
    3:3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
    3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
    3:5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
    3:6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
    3:7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
    3:8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

“So many people live unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one piece of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.”

- Christopher "Alexander Supertramp" McCandless

"One day, you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a chat with."

- Karl Pilkington
    on the future.

"They will accuse me of stealing from my father. They already wait in baited judgement, waiting for my first move, waiting to dump their loads of garbage on me. I face them like the man he never was and say "The only thing I stole from my father was a fleeting glimpse"

- Jeff Buckley

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold" Hunter S Thompson

"I don't have you with me, but i keep a good attitude, do you miss me, Miss misery like you say you do" Elliott Smith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Been reading the Great Gatsby again!
    Here are some of my fav quotes from that particular gem...

'So we drove on toward death through the cooling twilight'

'So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past'

And my personal favoutite and one of eternal wisdom and relevance...

'Women get these notions in there head-' :D

Advertisement