Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boycott ireland v Czech republic

• 08-10-2006 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

The only way that the thickos in the FAI will learn about the disaster that is steve staunton is if people stay away from this weeks game in landsdown road,Ireland v chez republic.
    I would be disgusted if i seen a full house in landsdown on wedensday,i respect the fact that true suporters will be at the game,i am a true supporter! but i will not go to it under the current structure,i also seek the resignation of every gimp that interviewed that turnip as a manager.

I appeal to people to stay from landsdown road this week!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I might be able to do that. It'll be tough but I'll really try.

At this rate we'll have a page full of Staunton threads by morning, some merging is needed! Mods are probably drowning their sorrows :D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Everyone out.

Do all the people who have no tickets, or indeed those who had no intention of going to the game on wednesday anyway, count as boycotters?

If so, ill be wearing my boycott t-shirt, and will be fully read up on the whole Lord Boycott affair. For the day, I will also call my dog boy-cott just to show how commited I am to this cause.

Will the chips we will be eating that evening (if you actually eat chips, or fries. If not, then say rice, or popadom, or green pepper) be called boycott fries?

Will those attending the game be called scabs?

How about the program? This is all very exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

To paraphrase Bill Hicks 'I'm against the players but I support the game'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I presume you mean Czech Republic? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

tickets are already sold so who will give a ****:?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I watched the game last night with friends and had a few cans. After the cyprus scored the fifth i got my ticket for wednesday game and ripped it up. I plan on posting it back to the FAI.

I woke up this morning and have no regrets what so ever. Last night was the BIGGEST EMBARRASSMENT ever as a nation. Steve Staunton hasn't even got the ba11s to come out to the press conference this afternoon and defend the team? I wonder who he will send to the firing line instead.

I saw one post that said if we win wednesday everything will be forgotten. I hate to think if that does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

I watched the game last night with friends and had a few cans. After the cyprus scored the fifth i got my ticket for wednesday game and ripped it up. I plan on posting it back to the FAI.

Must have been quite a few cans for such action :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I have my ticket, i'm seriously considering going and turning my back on the game for the 90 minutes, watch the dart go by or something, it'd be more entertaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Steve Staunton hasn't even got the ba11s to come out to the press conference this afternoon and defend the team? I wonder who he will send to the firing line instead.

Have there been any interviews since the match. I was disgusted that nobody came out and spoke to the press after the game last night. We deserve an explanation or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Onkle51 wrote:
    Have there been any interviews since the match. I was disgusted that nobody came out and spoke to the press after the game last night. We deserve an explanation or something

The usual "must try harder" stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I won't be boycotting or anything stupid like that, I will just abuse whatever players come near where I am standing. Only way of putting a point across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The amount of fair weathr irish supporters around the place is a disgrace. Why dont you lads piss off and support Italy? Or whatever othr team is goin to win?

The amount of fair weathr irish supporters around the place is a disgrace. Why dont you lads piss off and support Italy? Or whatever othr team is goin to win?
    There are plenty who do. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Bateman wrote:
    I won't be boycotting or anything stupid like that, I will just abuse whatever players come near where I am standing.

Yes, because that will really help encourage them to try harder...

I don't see it in terms of encouragement, I see it in terms of expressing dissatisfaction with last night's performance. :confused:

... or quit altogether and hand their place over to someone who looks like they actually want to be out there. Either would do me atm.

It amazes me how utterly knuckle-headed football fans can be at times.

Abusing our own players for 90 minutes on Wednesday will not help our cause one little bit. How many times have you heard fans referred to as the 12th man? Yesterday's done, there's no changing that, if you feel strongly enough don't go.

Does anyone think that abusing the players will see a better performance?

And whilst I'd like to believe otherwise I think it's pretty knuckle-headed to presume any of these players actually care about what joe-bloggs in the crowd thinks of them anyway.

They're out there playing for themselves, their associates and their careers. They're not out there playing for us. If someone wants to go to a match (they've already payed good money for) and boo these dishonest chancers for 90 minutes then I say let them go do it.

You don't think players are rattled by a crowds reaction? Sol Campbell at White Hart Lane, 29 October 2005 says different.

I presume that relates to some match between Arsenal and Spurs in which Mr.Campbell had a less than stellar performance? :confused:

From what little I know of the guy rattling Sol Campbell appears to be like shooting fish in a barrel. I contest that most players aren't delicate flowers like him couldn't care what you think about them as long as you keep it inside the ground and pay their wages every week.

• Advertisement

You don't think players are rattled by a crowds reaction? Sol Campbell at White Hart Lane, 29 October 2005 says different.

This has nothing to do with Sol Campbell, England, or Spurs so don't bring them into it. Mind you, Campbell telling Wenger he needed a new test outside England and proceeding to sign for Pompey would seem to suggest that any derision he has received to date wasn't misdirected.

I have heard of the fans being the 12th man on many occasions but I piss myself laughing whenever someone says it about Ireland at Landsdowne. The Switzerland home game (where surprise surprise the chancers bottled it) was the closest thing to an atmosphere since the Holland game where we beat them 1-0. These players need to be told that last night wasn't acceptable; Irish internationals are wrapped in cotton wool too much these days, the most uncomfortable it gets for them is reading in the paper that they've given a 4/10 performance. That's not enough for me and I don't think it should be enough for people who commit as much (and more) time and effort as I do in seeing them play.

I listen to O'Shea talking about letting down the fans, and guess what, I don't think he's sincere, I don't think he realises just HOW MUCH he has let everyone down, including past and future Irish pros. I don't think he really understands how angry people get at looking at him STANDING WATCHING as Cyprus slam in goal after goal against us.

While our clubs are fighting tooth and nail, and giving every last bit of it to put our domestic game on the map, these freeloaders are doing all the can to piss away any progress we've made in the past 15 years.

Pigman II wrote:
    I presume that relates to some match between Arsenal and Spurs in which Mr.Campbell had a less than stellar performance? :confused:

He had a sh*t game after he was roundly booed and abused for the 90 minutes. And that was months before his infamous disintegration at Highbury against West Ham.

Gregor Raziak's time at Spurs was blighted by something similar, fans on his back from the 1st whistle. JoeSoap will attest to his form since he went to Southampton where the fans are a bit more forgiving.
    Bateman wrote:
    This has nothing to do with Sol Campbell, England, or Spurs so don't bring them into it.

Who died and made you boss of the sccer forum?

The impact a section of the crowd can have on a players confidence is entirely on topic, so I'll bring whatever the hell I want into it, thank you.

If idiots want to spend their money on entry into Landsdowne Road on Wednesday to get on the players backs from the off so be it. Don't be surprised if their performance suffers as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Gregor Raziak's time at Spurs was blighted by something similar, fans on his back from the 1st whistle. JoeSoap will attest to his form since he went to Southampton where the fans are a bit more forgiving.

Hero!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuvxMI6Pmpk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Anyone who's boycotting, feel free to contact me about selling me your ticket.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Draupnir wrote:
    Anyone who's boycotting, feel free to contact me about selling me your ticket.

Cheers.

I'll take one too ;)

He had a sh*t game after he was roundly booed and abused for the 90 minutes. And that was months before his infamous disintegration at Highbury against West Ham.

Who died and made you boss of the sccer forum?

The impact a section of the crowd can have on a players confidence is entirely on topic, so I'll bring whatever the hell I want into it, thank you.

If idiots want to spend their money on entry into Landsdowne Road on Wednesday to get on the players backs from the off so be it. Don't be surprised if their performance suffers as a result.

Right, well having brought Sol into it you can respond to my point that he was/is a mercenary **** who deserved what he got.

If idiots want to believe that last night's performance doesn't warrant face to face criticism from the fans then so be it. It is time for this Ireland team to earn some support, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It just dawned on me when i took a look at our group...

If we loose on Wednesday our chances of qualification are about 1%

I've never lived through a qualifying campaign where we havent been competing and i really don't have a clue what it's going to be like. Will i even continue to watch the matches? will i still be trembling with nerves watching the matches?

It really is a sad state of affairs:(

I've never lived through a qualifying campaign where we havent been competing and i really don't have a clue what it's going to be like. Will i even continue to watch the matches? will i still be trembling with nerves watching the matches?

Your Denmark flag reminds me of 1985 and that you probably won't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Pigman II wrote:
    Your Denmark flag reminds me of 1985 and that you probably won't be.

:confused:

• Advertisement

:confused:

Never mind. We finished our World Cup campaign losing 4-1 at home to Denmark in front of about 10,000 people in Lansdowne Road (that was back when it could hold about 50k).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

this is a bit a of sad thread tbh,i mean boycotting the next game.you should support your team or country through thick and thin,i`ve heard alot of people on this forum say ireland have the best supporters in the world,lets hope its shown on wednesday

county wrote:
    you should support your team or country through thick and thin,i`ve heard alot of people on this forum say ireland have the best supporters in the world,lets hope its shown on wednesday

That's nice in theory and I'd be the first one to call "bandwagon" or "fair weather fans" when fans starting complaining after teams fortunes start turning for the worse. But I think it's different this time. It's not just that the team are losing 5-2 to Cyprus but it's the nature of it.

It's hard to support a team when you get the impression a majority of the players don't even care themselves and are only paying lip service in what little post-match reaction they've given so far.

I'd cheer this team to defeat after defeat if I believed they were actually giving it a go and trying their best. I don't believe that with a lot of our current crop and that dissapoints me more than any terrible result or any finals tournament missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

It's not being a fair weather supporter to want to see your team play with pride and passion

if they give us that, most irish football fans will be content, irregardless of the score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

gimmick wrote:
    Everyone out.

Do all the people who have no tickets, or indeed those who had no intention of going to the game on wednesday anyway, count as boycotters?

If so, ill be wearing my boycott t-shirt, and will be fully read up on the whole Lord Boycott affair. For the day, I will also call my dog boy-cott just to show how commited I am to this cause.

Will the chips we will be eating that evening (if you actually eat chips, or fries. If not, then say rice, or popadom, or green pepper) be called boycott fries?

Will those attending the game be called scabs?

How about the program? This is all very exciting.

:-)

Good one ....

I think Mods (not Rockers) should boycott the term 'boycott' from this forum, in case the Boycott family exercise their copyright rights as we might ed up with another "Due to proceedings ...." sticky.

But in all seriousness, the Cyrpus game was semi-boycotted. There was a very poor turnount I understand, a mere 2,500 Irish fans compared with 14,000 the last time. So fans are already voting with their feet. However, a boycott is pointless. I'm not a fan of negative tactics, better ro go to the match, not boo, but if Ireland have a woeful performance then make your opnion heard, in a positive way if that's possible.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

I presume you mean Czech Republic? :D
    chez is chech for chez

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Im no fair weather supporter,i reckon that i have spent about €12000 following the irish team over the last 10 - 12 years.

I have seen some bad games under various managers during that time but i have never seen such amateurish tripe as im am seeing now!

No captain
    No manager,he gets a red card on his first competitive game
    Manager sounds like a broken record with politician like statements

The reason i would ask people to bycott landsdown road this wedensday is because of the manager and the FAI board of management's decision to put this lemon in charge,Staunton is nothing but a yes man for the FAI

PS what does FAI stand for?

FAIlure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i tihnk the reason for the boycott is the loss of hope. theres nothing to look forward to until sept 2008.

boycotting the match will jumpstart the FAI into making a radical move. nif they keep stan until the WC 2010 qualifiers start, then 2 games in, we might be in the same position, with no hope, and no prospects for the future, slippign down the seedings and rankings.

On the note of irish being the best fans: dont u tihnk the FAI owe us for being the "12th man" all these years? we've been loyal, now its up to them to repay the faith before its totally lost.

Its one thing beign a true fan, and going to every game, but settling for this when we have so much potential, is just daft! true fans would want to see the best from our team. true fans would not sit on their arses and be content to let us slide away into international oblivion. true fans would strike into action.

Be the 12th man! Do something about this regime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So your asking people to piss away even more of their money by boycotting it?

I can see this being a huge success.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ridiculous thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Boycott? I will in my arse, I'm a supporter. At least the recent results might get rid of most of the fair-weather fans, corporate heads and event junkies, if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Might do the exact opposite and go for the first time in fifteen years. Be the first time it's been relatively easy to get a ticket in fifteen years.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I'll be making my point on Wednesday night, but boycott I won't. :)

Advertisement