Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

different reactions , explorer/firefox

Options
  • 08-10-2006 6:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

hi all,,,,

on my website,, or a version of my website,,, the pages react differntly in windows explorer and firefox

eg,, in explorer, it looks grand,,, but the same page viewed through firefox,, the writing in out of the frame and the pictures dont line up properly..

could anyone tell me how to fix this so that my site lookis the same on all computers no matter what the prefered internet browser.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭realblackstuff

If you use Microshaft's FrontPage, then I'm not surprised at all.
    What website is it?
    If you work with tables, use percentages, rather than fixed 'widths'.
    For Firefox, get the 'Web Developer' and 'HTML Validator' extensions.
    They are a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Ah Package,

Clearly you are what some like to call a "n00b". You are looking for an answer to the age old question asked by all web designers.

Ever hear the riddle that follows: If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make any noise?

There is no definitive answer unfortunately (though I did manage to clap with one hand once...), but if you post your website's URL either here or over in the Webmaster & Flash forum there are many indiviuduals who are willing to aid your cause.

Stay strong my friend, one day we will reach enlightenment, or at least cross-browser compatibility!

Yours Sincerely,

fade_to_grey

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Package wrote:
    could anyone tell me how to fix this so that my site lookis the same on all computers no matter what the prefered internet browser.

Yeah.

Start with standards-compliant HTML. If IE is ok but other browsers aren't, the odds are overwhelmingly against this already being the case.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what is your web site written with ?

if in a microsoft format try to get it to word and then use openoffice to save it.
    of course stuff like publisher you'd have to cut and paste into a new document in a different app

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

thanks all,,,,

the pages are done in front page,,,, as for the rest of the techincal mumbop jumbo, i aint got a clue,,,

there are all sorts in there,, tables and layers and pictures...

ill post the links a bit later, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

You're gonna want to to download Netscape and Opera too.
    Try it on them also.
    Just need to find a happy middle ground.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

the pages are done in front page
    Thats a problem right there. FrontPage was only ever designed to create pages for IE, funnily enough.
    as for the rest of the techincal mumbop jumbo, i aint got a clue
    If you want the page to look decent across platforms, you'll either have to bone up on the "mumbo jumbo", or hire someone to do it for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yeah you'll have to cut/paste from frontpage into another editor - depends on the effect you want, again if you use word/powerpoint/excel then use openoffice to save the doc/ppt/xls as html as it removes much of the crud

Advertisement